• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Watches

F14Flier7

It has been a while since I have actively posted on these forums. I am currently an OC in the STA-21 program at The Ohio State University.

The reason I am posting this topic is to find some information out first hand about "special" watches. Is there a need for Naval Aviators to have an aviation watch? If such a watch is needed, what type of specs are required and/or nice?

I realize that I am still two years away from potentially earning my commission and going off to flight school, but this type of information would be good to know. I have gone to a few stores looking at watches. I want to make sure that if I spend up wards around $500 on a watch; I get what I need.

Any kind of useful input on this topic would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

F14Flier7

Is there any actual practical use for this type of watch? Since you fly with your G-Shock I'm assuming that aviation watches are simply for the look then?

phrogpilot73

Is there any actual practical use for this type of watch? Since you fly with your G-Shock I'm assuming that aviation watches are simply for the look then?
Pretty much. It looks cool, I can say - check out what it can do, but it's not very practical while flying...

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
The Ohio State University.

Since you insist on "The" please weigh in on the college football thread in the 'War Zone."

Is there a need for Naval Aviators to have an aviation watch?

No real need other than to feed your ego. A nice watch is a nice watch regardless if you are a pilot. FWIW, I jumped on the Omega deal in a squadron and it was/is well worth it. I wear it daily. I recommend you wait until you can get in on one of the deals. Assuming you get a pilot slot, a solid digital watch (Ironman, G Shock, etc) will be very serviceable. Get one with two time zones (set one local one Zulu) and a loud alarm. I am sure you have experienced power outages before right? Well, having the power go out and then telling your IP that was the reason you are late makes them a little more...lets say...stressful.

Good luck

OBTW....Hook 'em

F14Flier7

LOL, ok thank you :D Very good to know.

Also, since we are on the subject of watches... I know that enlisted are suppose to wear silver colored watches, and officers typically wear gold colors. Would it be wrong for a previous enlisted to wear a silver watch?

My darned Fossil that I bought out of bootcamp has seen better days. It has lasted almost 5 years now though :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
F14Flier7 said:
.....Is there a need for Naval Aviators to have an aviation watch? If such a watch is needed, what type of specs are required and/or nice?..... Thank you very much.

Yes, there is ... as the size of a Naval Aviator's watch is in DIRECT INVERSE proportion to the "size" of his "masculinity" ... ergo, there is a pressing need to have a watch "appropriate" w/ your real or perceived "man-hood" prominently displayed on your wrist. Sometimes also considered "compensating" behavior ...

Therefore, it is necessary to have either as LARGE or as
small a watch face as possible ... whichever works for YOU.

These rules do not apply to female Aviators ...

You are welcome.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
enlisted are suppose to wear silver colored watches, and officers typically wear gold colors.

My Omega is Titanium...so umm.. silverish...it matches/blends with my silver wedding ring. I see both gold and silver daily. It may be a little vain but I wear a gold dress watch (Dad's old Seiko) and a gold wedding band when I am in dress uniform...not because I think it is required (is it?)but because it looks better in pictures.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Also, since we are on the subject of watches... I know that enlisted are suppose to wear silver colored watches, and officers typically wear gold colors. Would it be wrong for a previous enlisted to wear a silver watch?

My darned Fossil that I bought out of bootcamp has seen better days. It has lasted almost 5 years now though :D

Um... what?? I guess I'm out of uniform quite frequently...

F14Flier7

Now I'm opening up the uniform regs. I just remember that it was a big deal as a noobie and never really bothered to look it up since I haven't had to buy a watch in so long.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Yes, there is ... as the size of a Naval Aviator's watch is in DIRECT INVERSE proportion to the "size" of his "masculinity" ... ergo, there is a pressing need to have a watch "appropriate" w/ your real or perceived "man-hood" prominently displayed on your wrist. Sometimes also considered "compensating" behavior ...

Therefore, it is necessary to have either as LARGE or as small a watch face as possible ... whichever works for YOU.

These rules do not apply to female Aviators ...

You are welcome.
On this note I have an average size Casio G Shock watch. It automatically updates with the atomic clock of Boulder, Colorado every morning.

My dress watch is a two tone Citizen, the only other gold tone jewelry I own is my wedding band.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Silver vs Gold

ALL my watches to date have been a variation of silver. Never eard anything prescribing the silver/gold upstairs/downstairs rule. I'm sure somebody here will find it if it's an actual regulation or tradition (if it's been recorded).

Regardless, recommend, drum roll please, you search ont he keyword (watch) and you'll see several watch related threads that will reveal Omega buys as well as posts discussing you exact question. Check out this one for starters. You can use search (like I did) to find the rest. ;)

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
. I want to make sure that if I spend up wards around $500 on a watch....

6X-8X that should put you in the ballpark, around late O-2 early O-3 is the time to fork it out (All that cash from your first deployment). Until then sit back, peruse, and find the one to your liking. Because it isn't and JUST for flight school, it's a timepiece you will pass to your offspring, so make it count.

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
Dude, its a watch. Your going to scratch it all up anyway. By a cheapo that works (under $50). I have found that the 5 dollar Walmart specials break with any small amount of abuse. Silver, gold, who cares. It just doesn't matter. Definitely though, if your manhood is in question buy the biggest watch you can find.
big_ben_watched.jpg