• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Watches

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, there is ... as the size of a Naval Aviator's watch is in DIRECT INVERSE proportion to the "size" of his "masculinity" ... ergo, there is a pressing need to have a watch "appropriate" w/ your real or perceived "man-hood" prominently displayed on your wrist. Sometimes also considered "compensating" behavior ...

Therefore, it is necessary to have either as LARGE or as
small a watch face as possible ... whichever works for YOU.

These rules do not apply to female Aviators ...

You are welcome.

There is a company that does do aviation watches for females- Abingdon. My parents got me their Amelia style as a grad gift and I absolutely love it. I haven't gotten to play with its functions yet (though I start IFS Monday so that may change soon), but it's pretty nifty. It is classy and feminine, I can wear it with pretty much anything, and still does the same thing all the guys watches do, so for any female aviators out there that want to get in on the whole big aviation watch thing I highly recommend these watches.

http://www.abingdonwatches.com/

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
What you need to do is to get the largest watch possible that screams I've got a small pecker!!!!!

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I've always loved how aviation watches have E6B's on the bezel and I'd love to hear the story of the one guy who actually used the stupid thing. I'm not saying they look bad, as I have my eye on a Citizen Nighthawk, but I'm sure as hell not going to use it flying. I use a Timex that has survived an unreal amount of abuse and is running like a champ that I wear over my gloves. Also the backlight on them pays off in RI Sims to use as a backup for the crappy dash stopwatch when you're first starting off.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... prescribing the silver/gold upstairs/downstairs ......

Probably confused with cufflinks/studs. Have not looked at Nav Uniform Regs in some 30 odd years, but back then silver cufflinks and silver studs were prescribed for E's and gold for O's. Watches never mentioned, TMK.

GQ used to say wear a gold watch when in evening dress, in civ mufti, so I always did what GQ saild to do. Solid (18K) gold Bulova, circa 1953, still runs, adequate timekeeper.

Back when very young, I would buy the most expensive watch I could not afford. Now several Rolex/Omega lying around, rusting. Now I play a game, I try to buy the least expensive watch possible, that looks good/tells time. Winner so is a NEX special, $9.30 gold plated steel Elgin. Good looking watch. Screw GQ, I wear that Elgin everywhere I go.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably confused with cufflinks/studs. Have not looked at Nav Uniform Regs in some 30 odd years, but back then silver cufflinks and silver studs were prescribed for E's and gold for O's. Watches never mentioned, TMK.

That makes sense probably includes tie clasps as well.

GQ used to say wear a gold watch when in evening dress, in civ mufti, so I always did what GQ saild to do.

So did I, but did get opportunity to freelance much as all my Black Tie events were in Navy uniforms until I retired. And then, after never seeming to end up with Rene Russo (a la Thomas Crown Affair), I just opted to wear what I liked during the rare formal evening dress events.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
So no APs?:icon_tong:icon_tong:icon_tong

APCBNIBOrchardRoadTantulum.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional (Bond's watch) and it's great. Omega's have a crystal bezel that NEVER scratches. I've brushed my watch against anything from brick to steel to whatever and it still looks great. In terms of size, I have the midsize one since I have smaller wrists and the large size looks HUGE. I do like the idea of a dual timezone watch with one set to GMT. I'm still on the fence if I want to do the group buy here.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Yes, there is ... as the size of a Naval Aviator's watch is in DIRECT INVERSE proportion to the "size" of his "masculinity" ... ergo, there is a pressing need to have a watch "appropriate" w/ your real or perceived "man-hood" prominently displayed on your wrist. Sometimes also considered "compensating" behavior ...

Therefore, it is necessary to have either as LARGE or as small a watch face as possible ... whichever works for YOU.

These rules do not apply to female Aviators ...

You are welcome.

ouch... it may not be long... but it sure is skinny...
Anybody wanna buy my Breitling B-1 with a tomkitty on it??? My manhood warrants big ben on my wrist, why ya gotta hate? bwah!

seriously, for fixed wing behind the boat anything with a back light that stays on for 5 or so seconds and is semiNVG compatible will work. I sat for months and stewed about how retarded it was to spend 1500 on my brietling when the watch in the happymeal box is free and tells me (almost) just as well where the sun is in the sky, when it might pop back up again and how I just screwed my marshal timing up again...

Its just technical jewelry. I comforted myself with the idea my kiddo would get it when I was too old and tired to fight him off. Then I had twins... gotta buy another watch it seems...

The big guy upstairs running this ant farm has to be laughing... definitely has a sense of humor.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I have an Omega Speedmaster Professional (Bond's watch) and it's great. Omega's have a crystal bezel that NEVER scratches. I've brushed my watch against anything from brick to steel to whatever and it still looks great. In terms of size, I have the midsize one since I have smaller wrists and the large size looks HUGE. I do like the idea of a dual timezone watch with one set to GMT. I'm still on the fence if I want to do the group buy here.
I think you mean they have a sapphire crystal (the glass on the front of the watch); sapphire is a man-made material that is highly scratch-resistant (though it can be scratched). The bezel is the ring around the outside of that (that usually has numbers, tachymeter scale on many chronographs and minute scales on many dive watches like your watch).

And if you have James Bond's Omega it would be a Seamaster (not a Speedie) and be either the blue-bezeled watch worn by Brosnan, or one of two watches worn by Daniel Craig: the current blue-bezeled watch with the new co-axial escapement or the black-bezeled Planet Ocean. Dunno which Omega Daniel will be wearing in the upcoming film.
//end threadjack//

BTW, a watch that has two timezones for local and zulu is my main requirement for an aviation watch, as well as the ability to read it at night. A bonus: an alarm for when I end up in some far away hotel. There are plenty of watches that have those features

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I think you mean they have a sapphire crystal (the glass on the front of the watch); sapphire is a man-made material that is highly scratch-resistant (though it can be scratched). The bezel is the ring around the outside of that (that usually has numbers, tachymeter scale on many chronographs and minute scales on many dive watches like your watch).

And if you have James Bond's Omega it would be a Seamaster (not a Speedie) and be either the blue-bezeled watch worn by Brosnan, or one of two watches worn by Daniel Craig: the current blue-bezeled watch with the new co-axial escapement or the black-bezeled Planet Ocean. Dunno which Omega Daniel will be wearing in the upcoming film.
//end threadjack//

BTW, a watch that has two timezones for local and zulu is my main requirement for an aviation watch, as well as the ability to read it at night. A bonus: an alarm for when I end up in some far away hotel. There are plenty of watches that have those features

Wow, I am way off my game today, thanks for the corrections. It is the Seamaster (circa Pierce Brosnan and GoldenEye) and has the sapphire crystal face (domed). I was thinking about the X-33 for the group buy here and got my watches mixed up. I'm really tempted to pick up the X-33, but I'd like to see one in person first.

WOLFSON

For your price-range, get a Luminox. I purchased my 8400-series a few months ago and have been extremely pleased with it's ability keep a constant light on the hour/minute hands and around the bezel. It uses some type of micro-gas light technology that will remain illuminated regardless of the charge provided by outside ambient light and does not require a push button to work. Anytime the watch is in a shadow, you can see these little lights on the watch.

They're known more for being dive watches than aviation watches and come with the standard nice watch perks; scratch/water resistant, etc. The only drawback is the black rubber band, while durable, it's hard to dress up. I usually go back to my Tissot if I'm in a formal getup, which is only a handful of times a year.

Side-story: I had just purchased the watch when I went through the night-familiarization brief during the pyhsiology phase of API. Sitting in a pitch black room waiting for my vision to adapt so I could read some (almost) blacked-out powerpoint slides, I had to take the watch off because it was creating a distraction for me and the guy sitting next to me.