• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AW Zaps....post a pic of your sighting...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
So you actually spray paint other aircraft? I'd be afraid to do that and get something like "vandalizing Naval property."

The Desert Ducks/Hawks paint the flight deck of the ship they hit all the time. Also foreign navies are certainly prone to painting. Stencil and spraypaint are a lot cheaper and more permenent than stickers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Desert Ducks/Hawks paint the flight deck of the ship they hit all the time.

I heard that got squashed for a while during OIF (I believe) because they kept hitting the same ship at night and putting not just one foot print down, but a whole trail from the island back to the helo. According to the legend, a call was made the next morning and it was no longer deemed funny. Not sure how accurate the story is, though.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard that got squashed for a while during OIF (I believe) because they kept hitting the same ship at night and putting not just one foot print down, but a whole trail from the island back to the helo. According to the legend, a call was made the next morning and it was no longer deemed funny. Not sure how accurate the story is, though.

I think they were doing it a lot when they were H-3s. The ships didn't appreciate it as they could lose their flight deck certification for unauthorized markings on the deck. I don't think the big Navy would be amused either.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Big navy needs to get a sense of humor. I can see it now: an SH-60 on approach to a ship at night then all of the sudden the pilot sees a zap on the flight deck, has a seizure and crashes into the water. All because of some spray paint, that's how serious this is.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I was referring to the era of H-3s.

Big navy needs to get a sense of humor. I can see it now: an SH-60 on approach to a ship at night then all of the sudden the pilot sees a zap on the flight deck, has a seizure and crashes into the water. All because of some spray paint, that's how serious this is.

Well...I take your point, but here's the thing, ships get dirty on deployment, and having clean, easy to see markings that aren't supposed to be there could cause someone to cue off them when they shouldn't. On my first deployment, the deck got so bad that you couldn't really see the line-up lines half-way through cruise. Ironically, the shoes thought it would be a good idea to paint the deck while we pulled into port during the IMAV. Great, now we have (non-standard) bright white lines that we can see again, but guess what, the deck was technically de-certed. Even ships that have had the "right" lines put on them have actually been decertified because they come to find out they measured wrong. I think there's a case of this where a helo actually missed/bumped something because of it.

An extreme case? Sure, but it can add up.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
So a Marine PLC type can get into an air force bird colonel's office whenever he wants? I'm not saying it's any harder than zaping the thunder-chickens, I've seen that done. I'm just curious how you're going to Sam Fisher your way into this one. If you can get the sticker down, you can get a picture off.

Rasczak

Marine
Alright so here is the plan. (it's Army ROTC btw) I'm gonna find some way in there, zap the desk with an AW sticker and a USMC sticker. Snap the pic, and then book it. If at all possible, I'll try to get him in the picture....
If I am unable to, I will zap either his truck, or the Army ROTC van.

As much as I wanted to I didn't buy in. Looks like AC need not apply. Besides, I already have "Skidmarks in the sky" a tits machine on my back windows. :)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
As much as I wanted to I didn't buy in. Looks like AC need not apply.

I had the same thought. If you look at the thread where they were trying to come up with the design, they had one with all three wings on it. Too bad I wasn't a member yet so I could recommend the three wing version.