• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Flight Suit?

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I would agree, except for the presence of the Tomcatter Christmas tree... Am I missing something there, or is the ready room always that festive?

Edit: Good call on the clock. Christmas in March. Gotta love it.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Here is a pic from vf-51 in their black suits. My dad is fourth from the left standing(in black). He said he wore the black/blue flight suits for airshows/homecoming/special events.

named20squadron2019873ap.jpg

If you are good, you will reconize the xo as the current vice cno

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I have heard that its a West Coast thing, but I am not sure. CAG 1 (East Coast) doesn't do it.

Are these things not the "**** Hots"? I thought anything embroided and/or different colors was your Sierra Hotel...no? And I saw a lot of people (even helo bubbas) wearing them every Friday. Yes, West Coast this was.

-J

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That's what I had heard them called. I heard about it from one of our West Coast sister squadrons.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually ... the ones you are talking about --- they are called "sh!t hots" or "party suits" .... they are generally NOT flight gear issue (as in the above photos) and are generally not worn when participating in flight operations. They used to be made by GOMERs of varying sizes, colors, epicanthic eye-folds, nationalities, and shapes .... today, they are all probably made in the Workers' Paradise by ChiCom prisoners. For export, of course.

Unfortunately, "party suits" were always considered somewhat .... 'homogenized" .....at least by the hard-core, in the "old" days ... when ALL of us were still happy and "gay". We wore them ... but were always inexplicably .... "ashamed" and didn't really like them. Think about it: what kind of Naval Aviator would willingly wear something called a .... "party suit"???

Unless the squadron made a dedicated effort to clothe their finest in the finest ... i.e., VF-114 in their orange bags, for example .... it usually devolved down to the individual to secure anything other than standard, USGI, green issue flight bags. For flying, I''m talking ... not for posed pictures or 'O Club functions.

For example: I was not satisfied with being the "same" as everyone else for some reason, so during my nascent Naval Aviation career, I was swathed in 2 types (of course) of green NOMEX, orange NOMEX(compliments of VF-114), tan -- cotton (compliments of VX-4, China Lake), and NAVY BLUE NOMEX .... compliments, once again, of China Lake.

Not your sissy froo-froo powder blue zoom-bags as posted in the above pix ... but a dark NAVY BLUE flight suit with padded shoulders (so as not to "chafe" when wearing a torso harness) ... made in America .... and very nice. Still have all of 'em .... I sometimes do light work on the car in them these days. :) Or smoke a cigar on the deck.

selmacf7

My dad still has a collection of both... retired SH-3 driver, 1994 after 20 years. Always wondered why they had the blue ones, didn't realize they were standard issue.

Any idea why coasties seem to have mixed colors? Same reason? I've seen videos where left seat is wearing green and right is wearing blue and vice-versa, plus aircrew mixing it up. What's going on there?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
Here is a pic from vf-51 in their black suits. My dad is fourth from the left standing(in black). He said he wore the black/blue flight suits for airshows/homecoming/special events.

named20squadron2019873ap.jpg

If you are good, you will reconize the xo as the current vice cno

I recognize quite a few people in there...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I believe the CG used to wear blue flightsuits until recently, when they switched over to the typical green worn by the other services. At least thats what several of the Coasties in my API class a couple years ago told me.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gregsivers said:
I believe the CG used to wear blue flightsuits until recently, when they switched over to the typical green worn by the other services. At least thats what several of the Coasties in my API class a couple years ago told me.

VF-213 flew into Oceana yesterday wearing Royal Blue Flight Suits (their color). They buy the real deal and after embroidery, it runs about $250. VF-41(Black Aces) was wearing Black "Ninja" flight suits a few years back with special Black boots (similar to SEAL desert type boots). Like A4s said, it's all about squadron image...like the use of Orange Flight Suits by Aardvarks when they were still flying Tomcats. Don't see too many of the SH flight suits anymore (Far East connection) except at Tailhook Flight Suit night when they seem to come out of the closet (no pun intended).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll be wearing orange at the next 'Hook.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Schnugg said:
I'll be wearing orange at the next 'Hook.

DumbDumberXL45.jpg

dumb123.jpeg

:)

Couple guys at prom went as that two years ago or so and got into the paper... could work for you too, sir!