• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Flight Suit?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was always tempted to put on my orange bag and run around downtown SD near the courthouse...never did though.

My luck I'd get shot.

89-LX

Schnugg said:
I was always tempted to put on my orange bag and run around downtown SD near the courthouse...never did though.

My luck I'd get shot.

You wouldn't be the first military/former military person to be shot by a cop for no reason.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
.....it's all about squadron image...like the use of Orange Flight Suits by Aardvarks when they were still flying Tomcats......

Absolutely, and before Tomcats as well ... in fact, they used the orange bag en mass in the 60'sm (probably earlier, too). Personally, I loved that orange flight suit and the tan even better (cotton, of course :) ). Nomex later .... :icon_wink

Vark-heaven: VF-114 swathed in orange, F-4 style circa 72-73, callsign: Linfield; Omar and Zott (r)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AND .... lest ANYONE think that flight bag "spirit" ... or "sh!t-hots" ... or esprit de corps in general lies in the exclusive perview of the FitRons ..... :)

Resplendent in their orange bags, Heavy 4 (VAH-4) Dets Echo and Golf, on the ramp @ NAS CUBI Point, R.P.

B

Blutonski816

WTF??
Check out that dude in the orange bag and the Combo Cover!!

Ex Rigger

pilot
Not to mentionthe guy two to his right is holding what looks to be a brew. Along with the two guys on the bottom left, two guys on the bottom right and guy on the top left. I wonder how this picture came to be.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Combo cover??? CUBI Point ??? They both start with the same letter of the alphabet. Whatever works .... works ... in the P.I. :) The only thing I can wonder at was WHY did he have it on the aircraft ... dedicated, I guess. Or the Det OinC ....

And beer??? No problem, G.I.

It was frequently S.O.P. for Fleet Ramp arrivals @ CUBI. Hot and dusty and the ground crews always took care of us .... besides .... the water would give you the sh!ts. :) The guys in civies are probably tech reps -- maybe senior maintenance officers "off duty" ... coming down the hill to oversee the arrivals. Beer, here !!!

sub_mem_town010.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
Just make sure the bottle caps aren't rusty!
Ahhhhhh ..... the innocence of youth. Suspicious of things "foreign" that you put into your mouth. :)

Never had a problem, never heard of anyone who did, never saw anyone who did, consumed 10's of thousands of "test" samples .... San Miguel is Mother's Milk. Believe it. :icon_wink

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
It was frequently S.O.P. for Fleet Ramp arrivals @ CUBI.

I'm happy to announce that adult beverages are still the tradition at many fly-ins. All is not lost from the "good ole days."

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ex Rigger said:
Not to mentionthe guy two to his right is holding what looks to be a brew. Along with the two guys on the bottom left, two guys on the bottom right and guy on the top left. I wonder how this picture came to be.
Up until 1988, it was the standard in the west coast P-3 world that whatever squadron was hosting met all visiting aircraft with an ice cooler full of beer. Then some MFer on the Admiral's staff put a stop to it (this was right after the Commodore's famous declaration at happy hour that the problem with drinking and driving is that we did not practice it enough. Since we all know that it takes practice to be good, we were lousy drunk drivers and this caused him too many problems.). We still met all visitors with beer at deployment sites in Westpac. When I went east for my DH tour, I suggested it and you would have thought I brought a hooker to a OWC meeting. Best we could do there was lead them to the squadron bar in the BOQ.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
We still met all visitors with beer at deployment sites in Westpac. When I went east for my DH tour, I suggested it and you would have thought I brought a hooker to a OWC meeting. Best we could do there was lead them to the squadron bar in the BOQ.

This triggered a memory from ROTC. My first ROTC CO (first 2 years) bought into the whole anti-alcohol ideas. He tried to remove alcohol from all Navy related functions we had. Granted, only the seniors could drink (legally), but there was the staff as well. Yeah, that was not cool. Then our second CO (last 2 years), a very very very salty guy with 25 years of sea tour/time in a 30 year career said that was absolutely bullsh!t and that alcohol WILL be present and plentiful at Navy functions. It's a way of life. :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Ahhhhhh ..... the innocence of youth. Suspicious of things "foreign" that you put into your mouth. :)

Never had a problem, never heard of anyone who did, never saw anyone who did, consumed 10's of thousands of "test" samples .... San Miguel is Mother's Milk. Believe it. :icon_wink

I personally never had a problem either in the PI (Peru...different story). Even from a place where it cost more to play a game of pool then it did to buy a San Miguel. Those $.50 beers were tasty. But I've "heard" of others with different stories, as they tend to recycle both the bottles and the caps, and not necessarily sanitizing the latter.