• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing Flies EA-18G Wingtip and Jamming Pods for First Time

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Did you like his watch A4's?
Yeah .. I like it ... I LOVE it .... I've got 30 of them .. one for every dayof the month, etc., etc. :)

I nearly lost my "next to middle finger" in 1969-Pensacola getting in/out of this (a 500, actually):

1969_FORD_SHELBY_GT_350_COBRA.JPG

So I quit wearing the wedding ring for several years; to the eternal consternation, carping, and criticism of wife #1. The original issue wife.

I got tired of the b!tching ... started wearing it again ... nearly lost the same "next to the middle" finger AGAIN on the "rifle-bolt" on the A-4 canopy.

Quit wearing it again ... got rid of original issue wife ... she smoked, squeaked, leaked, and was losing parts anyway .... :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah .. I like it ... I LOVE it .... I've got 30 of them .. one for every dayof the month, etc., etc. :)

I nearly lost my "next to middle finger" in 1969-Pensacola getting in/out of this (a 500, actually):

1969_FORD_SHELBY_GT_350_COBRA.JPG

So I quit wearing the wedding ring for several years; to the eternal consternation, carping, and criticism of wife #1. The original issue wife.

I got tired of the b!tching ... started wearing it again ... nearly lost the same "next to the middle" finger AGAIN on the "rifle-bolt" on the A-4 canopy.

Quit wearing it again ... got rid of original issue wife ... she smoked, squeaked, leaked, and was losing parts anyway .... :)

Now that's a car! Still have it?

...and I concur on the no ring SOP...only have to hear the stories and have a close call

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Now that's a car! Still have it? ....
No, unfortunately ... I sold it to the kid across the street when I left Dallas in the early '80's --- for 5 TIMES what I paid for it.:eek: :eek:

What a good deal, huh ???

He "restored" it ... and some years later sent me the cover of Hot-Rod (?) magazine --- with MY CAR ON THE COVER --- and said: "Thanks". :)

Any idea what it's worth today .... :) ???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, unfortunately ... I sold it to the kid across the street when I left Dallas in the early '80's --- for 5 TIMES what I paid for it.:eek: :eek:

What a good deal, huh ???

He "restored" it ... and some years later sent me the cover of Hot-Rod (?) magazine --- with MY CAR ON THE COVER --- and said: "Thanks". :)

Any idea what it's worth today .... :) ???

Suspect it's close to six figures now.

Probably my favorite car. I love the front end. Alas, If I could only find one.

1969_Ford_mustang_shelbygt500.jpg

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Item #453 that TB55 is going to change when he takes over the world.... ughhhh

Item #452... plug some of those F-119 motors in the back. 70,000 lbs of thrust never hurt anyone :)

GE had a press release some time back where they were working on a new version of the F414, with 25% thrust, supposedly ready in 2-3 years (from now).

Not 70k lbs, but still a nice kick in the pants.

First engine tests on EA-1.

ea18g_lg.jpg

From Boeing Website:

EA-18G gets modification contracts
The U.S. Navy has awarded Boeing two contracts, totaling $101 million, for converting four F/A-18F aircraft into EA-18G aircraft in the assembly process. The contracts cover changes to the airframe such as brackets, wiring and structural modifications, and provide for the procurement of four airborne electronic attack kits, spares and support equipment for the EA-18G.

The two contracts together will enable the Growler team to produce three additional aircraft for Operational Test and Evaluation and a fourth aircraft to begin fleet transition activities. The first of these aircraft will be delivered in fall 2007.

"These contracts will provide the first production EA-18G Growlers to our Navy customer for use in flight test and operational evaluation," said Mike Gibbons, Boeing EA-18G program manager. "We will provide our customer with the best aircraft possible to make sure this program moves ahead rapidly."

The EA-18G Growler will replace Northrop Grumman's EA-6B Prowler as the Navy's electronic attack aircraft. The first flight of the Growler is expected for later this summer. Initial Operating Capability is planned for 2009.

The Navy will buy 56 Growlers, though the service has noted it will need 90 of the advanced aircraft. The 56 aircraft are part of an $8.6 billion F/A-18E/F Multi-year Procurement II contract for a total of 210 aircraft.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
total 210 Aircraft eh? Are the Marines ordering some or something? So, they said the initial flight will be later on this summer... are they going to do that out at Pax River?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
total 210 Aircraft eh? Are the Marines ordering some or something? So, they said the initial flight will be later on this summer... are they going to do that out at Pax River?

No G model (or other Supers) for the USMC.

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
And for a second there my heart skipped :-( ...well folks I'm leaving to finish up OCS tomorrow at 0630... gotta pack ...see you in August.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The E/F Multi-Year Procurement (MYP) was already in place for F/A-18E/F procurement (Navy only). They are modifying the contract to include G models. MYP is a relatively recent happenstance that Congress has agreed to in order to "guarantee" funding across several years (usually 5) so that the OEM (original equipment manufacturer), in the case Boeing, can order parts in efficient quantities and reduce the overall costs. Otherwise, reardless of what the service programs for procurement, it is a yearly "hold your breath" wait to see what Congress does to the President's Budget (PB) request.

And to answer your question further, the Marines are still on record saying they are not interested in the Super Hornet.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
[B said:
TurnandBurn55[/b]]I dunno about "rolling in" with Rockeyes, but I don't think it would be inconceivable at all for them to have JASSM or JDAM on board to acheive a hard-kill from a level laydown.

Roll-in, Laydown, Pop-up . . . meh. I'm not privy enough to all that tactics stuff yet to know what gets used when . . . Good points though, thanks.