• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing Flies EA-18G Wingtip and Jamming Pods for First Time

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JSOW? blah, JASSM will be where its at by then...

Big diff in weight and drag count, especially for SEAD purposes. Barring significant future increases in capes with AGM-88X, I see JDAM/JSOW as the likely relevant alternatives to HARM.

Brett

GoLSU94

Don't take the Bonus.
Big diff in weight and drag count, especially for SEAD purposes. Barring significant future increases in capes with AGM-88X, I see JDAM/JSOW as the likely relevant alternatives to HARM.

Brett

Too bad "Big Navy" sees things differently.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
For you guys that are still arguing about what the Shocker will carry... for right now, HARM and AMRAAM...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For you guys that are still arguing about what the Shocker will carry... for right now, HARM and AMRAAM...

I would hate to ask the obvious but how would you know? You are still an SNFO in the Mighty Warbucks........:confused:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would hate to ask the obvious but how would you know? You are still an SNFO in the Mighty Warbucks........:confused:

I don't understand Flash's response (he probably doesn't either), so I'll answer for him. Typical configurations are likely to include some combination of pods, drops, HARM, and AMRAAM.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't understand Flash's response (he probably doesn't either), so I'll answer for him. Typical configurations are likely to include some combination of pods, drops, HARM, and AMRAAM.

Brett

I knew that, I was just wondering how a VT-4 stud could say so with so much authority......:confused:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Community Brief???

The VAQ sales pitch? Not always as up to date as they should be, it is a long trail from the program office to VT's. Hopefully AARGM would loaded on their as well, JSOW later.

VS FO

pilot
None
For you prowler types, a couple of questions... Sorry if they have been addressed in previous posts.

What is the 'realistic' time frame for the growlers coming on line? Will a separate FRS be created or will studs go to the Super rags in Lemoore and Oceana similar to how the ES-3 guys did a different syllabus at the S-3 rag? Will the marines take over the prowler rag in Whidbey? Do you think the growler will be as capable as the prowler with only one NFO and is it expected for the pilot to assist in the mission a lot more (no more just driving the bus)? What is the general outlook for NFO's in the prowler community? Is there a lot (or any) real concern about reduced NFO manning in the community and the prospects of transition to the growler?

Again, a lot of questions, but they seem to come up a lot so I thought I would see if I could get some insight here. Thanks in advance.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For you prowler types, a couple of questions... Sorry if they have been addressed in previous posts.

What is the 'realistic' time frame for the growlers coming on line? Will a separate FRS be created or will studs go to the Super rags in Lemoore and Oceana similar to how the ES-3 guys did a different syllabus at the S-3 rag? Will the marines take over the prowler rag in Whidbey? Do you think the growler will be as capable as the prowler with only one NFO and is it expected for the pilot to assist in the mission a lot more (no more just driving the bus)? What is the general outlook for NFO's in the prowler community? Is there a lot (or any) real concern about reduced NFO manning in the community and the prospects of transition to the growler?

Again, a lot of questions, but they seem to come up a lot so I thought I would see if I could get some insight here. Thanks in advance.

Someone thinking about going VAQ? :D

STLEngineer

pilot
A significant milestone in the flight test of the G was reached today at PAX River. As no full up G's have been produced yet, it was an EMD aircraft with mods.

I'd go into more detail, but I'll wait for the official announcement... don't want to steal the anyone's thunder. Should be an article up tomorrow.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Here's the skinny:

1. The first G model squadron is planned for ~2009 and the rest of the 10 sea going squadrons will transition over gradually until ~2013. At some point during that time, the 3 expeditionary squadrons that support non-CVW ops will go away.

2. The RAG plan is to have aircrew do basic FAM - NATOPS quals at VFA-122, then come to VAQ-129 for the tactics phase. Since there will still be a need for Prowler Aircrew production for several years, 129 will continue to do their normal Prowler thing. Once all the Navy Prowlers are gone (turned over to the Marines), the Marines will be on their own as far as a RAG.

3. Everything we're learning about the new ICAP III/ALQ-218 system indicates that its capes FAR exceed what the Current Prowler systems ca do. Obviously, crew duties and additional mission systems like A/A radar and missiles will make for a very different concept of crew coordination, but the system is designed to be operated with two people, so I don't expect significant issues there.

4. Since the transition will take place over several years, the manning issues are reduced. In addition, lessons learned from the A-6 sundown have been applied and there is a plan already in motion so that every ECMO will have a job at the end of the process.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions here or via PM as necessary.

Brett