• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Books on ACM

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok Salty Dogs,

I'm in the ACM stage of TS and I was wondering if there are any decent books on ACM and BFM out there? Something to just read and further my understanding of the concepts and such. Thanks!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just read the FTI and fly the flights.... You won't become Erich Hartmann in the T-45. Check the box and move on to FCLPs. Your fleet jet won't be anything like the Goshawk and you won't fight it the same way.

But if that doesn't satisfy you, there's always "Fighter Combat" by Robert Shaw.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Just read the FTI and fly the flights.... You won't become Erich Hartmann in the T-45. Check the box and move on to FCLPs. Your fleet jet won't be anything like the Goshawk and you won't fight it the same way.

But if that doesn't satisfy you, there's always "Fighter Combat" by Robert Shaw.

Yeah yeah, it doesn't help to have something else to read for concept, especially when the FTI and Stan Notes are diametrically opposed.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
You could study E-M diagrams or something but I tried to do the same thing and there isn't too much out there. T-45 is a pig and the end states are always similar...one circle flats or two circle luff on the deck (assuming you are both fighting perfect 1 v 1). I would worry about the comms man...trips people up huge when they displace the jet and speak...at least I sucked at it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
brd2881 said:
You could study E-M diagrams or something but I tried to do the same thing and there isn't too much out there. T-45 is a pig and the end states are always similar...one circle flats or two circle luff on the deck (assuming you are both fighting perfect 1 v 1). I would worry about the comms man...trips people up huge when they displace the jet and speak...at least I sucked at it.
I'd also work on taking good notes after each engagement so you can accurately reconstruct it in the debrief. I don't know what kind of gouge kneeboard cards the TRACOM has for that, but they're out there.

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Note: This isn't for study WHILE I'm in ACM, I'm almost done with it. It's for general purpose reading.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
especially when the FTI and Stan Notes are diametrically opposed.

Welcome to TS in the first place . . . :icon_rage
[/rant]

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Isn't this supposed to be the classic tome on the subject?

0870210599.jpg

http://www.usni.org/webstore/shopexd.asp?id=18606

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Welcome to TS in the first place . . . :icon_rage
[/rant]

Wait till you get beyond Weps, it's much worse, it'll make you want to tear your hair out.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Wait till you get beyond Weps, it's much worse, it'll make you want to tear your hair out.
I'm almost reaching that point already. Long story.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
squeeze said:
Just read the FTI and fly the flights.... .....

BINGO !!!! And be AGGRESSIVE !!! No need to be fancy .... ALWAYS TURN INTO THE THREAT !!! At least that will work for now ... for the TRACOM ..... :)

Oh, yeah .... and learn how to use your rudders.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:

Yep, finally getting that one ingrained in me. They work great once you figure out how to use em effectively :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A4sForever said:
BINGO !!!! And be AGGRESSIVE !!! No need to be fancy .... ALWAYS TURN INTO THE THREAT !!! At least that will work for now ... for the TRACOM ..... :)

Ok so for us non fighter types what's the deal with rudders in ACM?

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
I guess its easiest put that when you are flying really slow to try to flush your opponent out in front of you, you can't deflect your ailerons to turn the jet because you would immediate stall the wings and depart and then have to pick up speed or fall out of the sky to recover...this makes you vulnerable. You use the rudders to turn the jet in when fight gets slow or when you want to "pirouhette (sp) the jet" to turn your jet on a dime in slow flight. Skillful use of the rudders in ACM type environment is not so easy to come by..kind of like an artform...guys with experience do it well..(i.e, not me)...there are many other situations which call for use of rudder as well...but I have yet to perform or try them in ACM.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Ok so for us non fighter types what's the deal with rudders in ACM?

Helps get the nose where you want it to go (regardless of speed, but especially at high AoA, low airspeed), ne c'est pas, A4s?

Let's see, what else....

Speed is life

Don't maintain same direction for more than __fill in blank__ seconds

Know the tactical egg and where you are (on its circumference) at any given time

Remember, you can unload the aircraft in other than straight and level flight

Don't arc....don't arc....don't arc

Know where the cons are (flight level) and don't just go by weather guesser's word

Clean your canopy (or make sure plane captain is your friend and he does a good job)

Clean your visor, take care of your visor (no scratches)

Fuel state, fuel state, fuel state (don't wait for joker or bingo state to surprise you)

Use the sun (over cloud deck; watch for sun ball to help)

Watch your altitude; especially before you commit your nose below horizon (know whether a particular maneuver will cause to to bust a soft or hard deck before you execute same)

Anything out of ordinary or unexpected, Knock it off!

Don't bust your bubbles

G-warmup and FOD check everytime

Check your G-suit connection before above

Lost sight, call it (big sky, little airplane?...want to bet your life and/or career?)

Don't be a grape....