• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Books on ACM

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
--- the F-15 drivers would initially run in line abreast while "filling the sky" with calls of "Fox-1, Fox-1" at 15-20 miles, look-down, on a small, maneuvering A-4 against ground clutter.
Ahh yes, the proverbial wall of Eagles - affectionately known as the sieve of Eagles. :D

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Brett:

The Penguin works as well as can be expected. You sit in the perch and launch the missle. As usual, it just falls off the rail and bonks the other aircraft as it falls to the sea.

Pags said:
@ gatordev: low-slow flier intercpets? is that going after other helos, or some fixed wing intercept?

For training, we did it w/ another helo, but the intent is for it to be against anything, albeit low and slow. So if Habib is making a run for your ship or the carrier, one of the force protection birds can intercept and shoot it down. This is all hypothetical, of course, but you get the idea. It could also be used for smuggling intercepts.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
It could also be used for smuggling intercepts.
Reminds me of a good CD Ops story. Certain small boy Captain was chasing down cigarette boats, but the LE component wasn't around yet. ROE stated that they couldn't engage the boats with weapons, so this guy had the LAMPS det load up with a bunch of weird stuff like cargo nets to go drop on these guys as they sped by. They never caught any drug runners with that "improvised" tactic, but it sure made for a funny story.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hmm...and for what it's worth, that tactic is specifically not allowed (now, anyway). Interesting. Of course, nowadays, guys are getting permission to fire, so that tends to speed up the process. :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Hmm...and for what it's worth, that tactic is specifically not allowed (now, anyway). Interesting. Of course, nowadays, guys are getting permission to fire, so that tends to speed up the process. :)

Speaking of unusual weapons...there was a S-3 in Desert Storm that used a drop tank to take out a small fast moving boat. That's some tactical flying...pilot was already a legend before that...now he is a God...and certified liberty risk...they sent him to USNA for staff position and he was leading mids on crawl through town when I last saw him (as an 0-6)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
QUESTION:

Is there any reason for this thread to be only on the Private Naval Aviator forum ??? Looking back over it -- there are some good posts with good information for the juniors. I see stuff that might be good for dissemination to all God's children .... anyone?? Anyone ??

PM me and I'll move it or if you are a Mod-Squad-god (little "g") ... do it yourself, if you are in agreement.

GO 'HAWKS !!! I'm buyin' the lattes .... !!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Speaking of unusual weapons...there was a S-3 in Desert Storm that used a drop tank to take out a small fast moving boat. That's some tactical flying...pilot was already a legend before that...now he is a God...and certified liberty risk...they sent him to USNA for staff position and he was leading mids on crawl through town when I last saw him (as an 0-6)

While conducting CD Ops, there are "other" methods used to at least harass and/or slow down the bad guys that aren't specifically outlawed. However, they also aren't exactly endorsed. I, of course, would have no such idea what these methods are...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
While conducting CD Ops, there are "other" methods used to at least harass and/or slow down the bad guys that aren't specifically outlawed. However, they also aren't exactly endorsed. I, of course, would have no such idea what these methods are...

Holy Clear and Present Danger...we actually deployed to Gulf on Kennedy to do some of those things in 1990...in WWII Meteors would intercept V1 Buzz Bombs and put a wingtip under the V1 wingtip and flip them over (gyro couldn't hack the sudden change and it went down hard). We looked at same thing for slow flyers...ROE was wide open...as we approached Columbia...their President was told what was going down and he suddenly cooperated with State on clamping down on activity in their version of the Wild, Wild West....Clancy wasn't that far off!!! At least someone said so....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
heyjoe said:
Holy Clear and Present Danger...we actually deployed to Gulf on Kennedy to do some of those things in 1990.......Clancy wasn't that far off!!! At least someone said so....

Not-So-Clear-But-Present-Dept.:

Someone also said that the Reagan DEA needed "help" in the Gulfo de Mexico in the early-mid '80's tracking and "assisting with interdiction" prior to the DEA acquiring a dedicated air force .... I didn't say it, though. I just heard it .... :)

Someone also said an all-Reserve AirWing was being contemplated to ship aboard the Coral Maru during the Contra War. It didn't happen for several reasons --- one big reason was there were not enough guys who were willing to do it --- again --- at night. Too many lazy airline pilots flying for the Reserves, I guess ...

But I'm not sure ... I just heard it .... :)

But you didn't hear it from me .... ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4sForever said:
QUESTION:

Is there any reason for this thread to be only on the Private Naval Aviator forum ??? Looking back over it -- there are some good posts with good information for the juniors. I see stuff that might be good for dissemination to all God's children .... anyone?? Anyone ??

Hello ??? Hola ??? Move it ??? Or leave it ??? 8 hours and counting ... maybe no one cares. :) No problem-O. I'll wait 'til Mañana .....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you have the power, He-Man (or is that Thundercats?), I say move it. I actually thought this was moved already yesterday. Must have been a different thread.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
[/SIZE]

Hello ??? Hola ??? Move it ??? Or leave it ??? 8 hours and counting ... maybe no one cares. :) No problem-O. I'll wait 'til Mañana .....

No problem-O, I say move it.

---------------------------
The less things are moved, the more they stay in the same place. :icon_smil

Lonestar155

is good to go
If you have a computer get falcon 4.0! the guide is about 500 pages. At the age of 15 i was perferming actual ACM manevuers.