• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Close to wings but thinking about switching communities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Given the number of female pilots I know flying MH-60s out of North Island or V-22s/H-1s/53s out of Miramar/Camp Pendleton who are married to F/A-18 pilots, I'm pretty sure this is a widely promulgated plan of attack.
Which also leads to some, uh, mean AAR related callsigns

Aeroshell

All valid comments and I appreciate the logical responses. I will say I am leaning towards finishing. Not sure what the process would be to switch, but I know people have done it.

Yes, I may regret the jet thing but I think living in places I don't enjoy until I am in my mid 30s getting out is something my 20 year old self didn't think about. Yes, I signed up to do this and yea I dreamed about it, but priorities can shift.

Like I said the flying is just meh to me at this point. I enjoy some of it, but don't enjoy other parts. My helo friends seem to have a blast all the time, but they may just be talking it up, I am not sure. At the end of the day they live in an amazing area and can likely stay there. Ill add that if I got anything other than SD after going through helo advance I probably would be salty. So that's how I am telling myself I am not being logical.

Are there any shore tour opportunities for jet guys in SD, for jet guys (flying/non flying)?

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I think you’ll find it surprising how easy it is to have a good time where you’re at so long as you enjoy what you do and who you do it with. Yes, even in Lemoore. Look, SD is awesome, yes - no denying that - but the PB/OB scene eventually gets old, and I5 traffic never goes away.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
All valid comments and I appreciate the logical responses. I will say I am leaning towards finishing. Not sure what the process would be to switch, but I know people have done it.

Yes, I may regret the jet thing but I think living in places I don't enjoy until I am in my mid 30s getting out is something my 20 year old self didn't think about. Yes, I signed up to do this and yea I dreamed about it, but priorities can shift.

Like I said the flying is just meh to me at this point. I enjoy some of it, but don't enjoy other parts. My helo friends seem to have a blast all the time, but they may just be talking it up, I am not sure. At the end of the day they live in an amazing area and can likely stay there. Ill add that if I got anything other than SD after going through helo advance I probably would be salty. So that's how I am telling myself I am not being logical.

Are there any shore tour opportunities for jet guys in SD, for jet guys (flying/non flying)?
Just have your helo buddies fly over the hills and pick you up for the weekend. You’ll save hours wasted in traffic.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
All of this makes me think about what an ass ream the navy got out of the ‘97 BRAC. Giving Miramar to the green weenie is one thing, but giving Alameda to the freaks was just outrageous.
Before my time, but the field grade in my squadron (as a copilot) were just fine with MCAS Tustin...I think Miramar is mo' better though

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
This thread gives me an extreme appreciation for getting to spend two years at VMFAT-101 in San Diego as a Navy guy.
I honestly don't know the politics and decison making behind the Navy giving up Miramar in the BRAC of the mid 90's. Would El Centro be preferable to Lemoore though?

I guess it's close to the Salton Sea.

taxi1

pilot
I probably would be salty.
Good salty or bad salty?

Yes, even in Lemoore.
You can have a blast anywhere, especially if you know you aren’t going to be there forever. I loved my IP tour in Beeville, Tx. Just enjoyed the Texas vibe and critters and food and feeling like we were living on a FOB. Same for Djibouti. Everything was exotically different. Heck, AF and IQ. I always knew the clock was ticking and my time was finite. That overcame any negatives.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
First of all, let me say that I absolutely enjoy flying helos. I very intentionally selected helos over jets in flight school with zero regrets and (for now) have chosen to continue to fly helos post-Navy when I could also work fixed-wing jobs. However...

Like I said the flying is just meh to me at this point. I enjoy some of it, but don't enjoy other parts. My helo friends seem to have a blast all the time, but they may just be talking it up, I am not sure.

I didn't particularly have fun flying helos in flight school. I did well, but a lot of it was boring once you got past the initial FAM stages. I offer that perspective because what you experience in flight school doesn't equate to what you do in the fleet, which often equates to the level of "fun" (read: satisfaction).

Yes, guys do transition from jets to helos in Advance, but typically that's due to some sort of performance issue that's centric to jet flying but small potatoes for slower, less dynamic flying. Just upping and asking for a change is a very different situation and I caution you on proceeding down that path.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
What instantly comes to mind when I read this thread title.

“Too close for missiles, I'm switching to guns"

Don’t switch stay the course, trust me you’ll regret it.🇺🇸⚓️😉

croakerfish

pilot

I think you are miscalculating on some very crucial aspects here.
First of all, the process of switching from jets to helos or multis in the training command isn’t a process. When it happens, it’s a one-off Commodore-level decision to help a good dude out who can still contribute to naval aviation, just not in jets. If anyone did it and tells you differently, without knowing the details I’d bet you $1000 they’re dissembling to protect their ego.

Second, you seem like you are thinking of homesteading in San Diego as some kind of sure thing. You are just as likely to get Virginia Beach in jets and stay there long-term as SD in helos. Maybe more so. Jacksonville, Norfolk, or overseas are just as likely for helos as SD and shore tour options are much more diverse. Pensacola/Corpus, Station SAR, or Fallon even can happen, not to mention the endless possibilities of non-flying shore tours.

You are correct that we do have fun all the time. At least I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.