• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You might be out of your lane on this one. The RF and IR jammers on the CV are very capable. There is a handful of threat systems I'd happily fly through the WEZ of (and have at China lake/Nellis etc). Plus others are easier to mitigate with supporting assets due to the speed of the V-22 and decreasing vulnerability windows.

The CV-22 is the most capable vertical lift platform in the world when it comes to high end threat pen. Yes, even including the 160th and I'd stake my reputation on that.

No, pretty sure he ain't out of his lane. As irascible as he may be saying that to Brett is like arguing the technicalities of traffic law with a state trooper and the judge in traffic court, and I've been to traffic court enough times to know that doesn't end well for the defendant.

I'm something of a EW/EA hobbyist myself and can say pretty confidently that however capable the V-22 might be it would be a mistake to think it is survivable against many of the more modern SAM systems that are fielded nowadays.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@Brett327 - the CV-22 has both AN/ALQ-211 and AAQ-24. Independent penetration and survivability was the whole point. You have way more expertise than this old helo dude, but I'm told by AF helo guys that that suite is fit for purpose!

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
No, pretty sure he ain't out of his lane. As irascible as he may be saying that to Brett is like arguing the technicalities of traffic law with a state trooper and the judge in traffic court, and I've been to traffic court enough times to know that doesn't end well for the defendant.

I'm something of a EW/EA hobbyist myself and can say pretty confidently that however capable the V-22 might be it would be a mistake to think it is survivable against many of the more modern SAM systems that are fielded nowadays.
1660919489988.gif

Best-22

None

Well considering I fly CV-22s for a living i might know a thing or two about them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well considering I fly CV-22s for a living i might know a thing or two about them.

As I hope you would, but making bold claims about the V-22's capabilities against 'high end' threat systems versus an expert in them is probably a little bit out of your lane.

While you may be more than happy to fly into WEZ's for some systems Brett's assertion is accurate for most modern SAM's, with a few possible exceptions you or I might carry.

This is the most preposterous statement ever conceived. Put a Plopter inside a WEZ (any WEZ) and it quickly transitions from novelty logistics platform into smoking hole generator in about 10 seconds.

So maybe okay against missiles like this:

1660924398422.png

But not so much against guys like this:

1660924254118.png

This:

1660925037805.png

Or this:

1660925221849.png

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yes, please tell me more about these RF jammers. ?
"When the aircrew encounters a threat emission, the ALQ-211 establishes the threat range from the mission aircraft. If an aircraft is in lethal range of the threat, the ALQ-211 initiates an integrated instantaneous response, breaking missile lock through RF countermeasures, and cues the use of chaff and flares. As the aircraft’s survivability suite controller, the ALQ-211 coordinates the response for laser and infrared threats, providing a truly integrated approach to aircraft self-protection."

Best-22

None
As I hope you would, but making bold claims about the V-22's capabilities against 'high end' threat systems versus an expert in them is probably a little bit out of your lane.

While you may be more than happy to fly into WEZ's for some systems Brett's assertion is accurate for most modern SAM's, with a few possible exceptions you or I might carry.

So maybe okay against missiles like this:

View attachment 36046

But not so much against guys like this:

View attachment 36045

This:

View attachment 36047

Or this:

View attachment 36048
For clarity I'm not saying the CV can fly through high end threats alone and unafraid, just that it's the most capable mobility platform to do it.

I could have phrased that better, but essentially I just said "high end" meaning a state actor vs VEO threat like iraq/Afghanistan.

Last edited:

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
"When the aircrew encounters a threat emission, the ALQ-211 establishes the threat range from the mission aircraft. If an aircraft is in lethal range of the threat, the ALQ-211 initiates an integrated instantaneous response, breaking missile lock through RF countermeasures, and cues the use of chaff and flares. As the aircraft’s survivability suite controller, the ALQ-211 coordinates the response for laser and infrared threats, providing a truly integrated approach to aircraft self-protection."
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you the ECV-22 ?