• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CMV-22B Osprey Rollout

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Guys remind yourselves that dudes like @Best-22 are the only ones that will bring you home to your family, alive - and that they are committed to doing that. The Navy helo community has neither the culture or capability to bring you home from Indian Country / contested environment. So be nice.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Guys remind yourselves that dudes like @Best-22 are the only ones that will bring you home to your family, alive - and that they are committed to doing that. The Navy helo community has neither the culture or capability to bring you home from Indian Country / contested environment. So be nice.

1661004158064.png
The Tactical Recovery Aircraft and personnel (TRAP) team prepares to lift off from the deck of the USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) aboard two Marine CH-53 Super Stallion helicopters to rescue USAF Capt. Scott O’Grady on June 6, 1995. O’Grady’s F-16

Best-22

None
FWIW, the AF has been out of the legit EA/EW game for almost 2 generations now. The Navy guys know more, have way more experience, and have everyone else beat on this one. Your Patch should know this.
I agree! They even send us over to the Navy for EW schools; I think it goes by a different name now but the EWCC course in Pensacola is excellent. That doesn't mean everyone in the Navy knows more about CV-22 capes than actual CV-22 crews though. If you read my posts I'm not exactly claiming we're the king of EW. Everything I've written is backed by actual data and personal experience, there has been a huge push the last 2-3 years to get us onto EW ranges and see what works/what doesn't. I invite anyone with SIPR/JIANT access to go find more information and please reach out to our WIC grads. I love working with the Navy, and the growler crews are always professional. It seems I've worn out my welcome here so I'll leave you all with that.

Last edited:

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Which is why claims about capabilities should always be viewed critically. I concur with his response to my post. Broadly across many communities (including in my own) there is a tendency to oversell capabilities, which is a great way to ensure that aircrew will need those services you referenced.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Fair point, but the to their credit they will keep coming to come get you even if they themselves get shot down. That's their culture.
IF the plan is going to take 10 purple hearts, 4 Air Force Crosses, and a CMH, it's fucking terrible plan.

Edit: I can't take credit for this quote- it was an opening line in a class at TBS- but it's one that sticks with all of us.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Talk less. Smile more.

Understand the difference between, "With the right amount of help, we might get lucky and get to the LZ without them knowing" and "Fuck it and fuck you, we can make it to Tehran and back without anyone's help"

Best-22

None
Talk less. Smile more.

Understand the difference between, "With the right amount of help, we might get lucky and get to the LZ without them knowing" and "Fuck it and fuck you, we can make it to Tehran and back without anyone's help"

For clarity I'm not saying the CV can fly through high end threats alone and unafraid, just that it's the most capable mobility platform to do it.

I could have phrased that better, but essentially I just said "high end" meaning a state actor vs VEO threat like iraq/Afghanistan.
Not sure where the wires got crossed, but you seem to be reading something different than I'm writing.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not sure where the wires got crossed, but you seem to be reading something different than I'm writing.

Nah man. You said, "It's the most capable mobility platform to do it."

The most capable Samurai died when facing the weakest gatling gun battalion.

Picket's Charge was a failure. The men were brave, but they died all the same.

The weakest part of the AF is that they make everyone do PME, but they don't expect anyone to actually learn something from it.

Again- if your plan takes Purple Hearts, Service Crosses, and a CMH, it's a terrible plan.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
When free-conjugating or adjectivifying, if you will, I think it's important to spell the neologism in a way that disambiguates its pronunciation.

Why didn't they add a second "t"? Do we have CMV-22s we can tether to a spool of twine and fly on windy days now?

Oh right, it all started with the stupid CM prefix, even though the M subsumes the C.

Last edited: