• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard Promotion Rates

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This change to the US code for FY 2009.
Some food for thought for any of you who might fall under this.

For 3 years prior to seeing the light and going to Navy AOCS, I was in both the Army Reserve and Army ROTC under their Simultaneous Membership Program. There was a law/regulation that stated that any time spent in an officer producing program while concurrently serving in another capacity could NOT be counted toward pay longevity or retirement. What this meant for me was that when I commissioned, I commissioned as a O-1 over 0 years instead of an O1 over 3 years. It also meant I lost about 16 months active duty credit toward retirement from my Army Reserve boot camp, AIT, summer training (I usually did 8 weeks vice 2), etc.

The around 1996-97 they changed the law. The time now counted. The new law did not say anything about it being retroactive or non-retroactive. Of course PSD said non-retroactive. I appealed to DFAS and about 2 months latter got one HUGE retro-pay check. They went back to day 1 of my time in the Navy and recomputed my pay. (I actually got pretty lucky as I was TAD to EUCOM at the time it showed up and I was in Bosnia which was a tax-free area. Timing is everything.) Plus when I retired a year latter, I had the 16 months of active duty back and added to my Navy time.

Follow this carefully and look to see what it says about being retroactive. It could be big dollars for you.

HawkDoc

Stabilization pay

The House bill would provide pay protection when a service member accepts appointment or reappointment as an officer without a break in service. It would apply, effective when the bill becomes law, to senior enlisted members and warrant officers who accept appointments as officers and to officers in the rare circumstance when they are reappointed in a lower grade.
The provision would guarantee service members would not receive less in pay and allowances after the appointment or reappointment than they were making before, as long as there was no break in service.
The Senate bill has no similar provision.
Prediction: Has a chance, but is not a sure thing.

Just following up here, pulled this from Army Times' article on the 2009 pay raise.

TrueAce

Banned
kiowa - PM me your AKO or another Army email and I will put you in touch with a friend of mine who was a Kiowa O-3 and transfered over and flies Dolphins. She did all her paperwork from Iraq a couple years ago and got picked up.

Do you know why she decided to transfer?

bobbybrock

None
Do you know why she decided to transfer?

Probably the same reason most Army O-3's do. So they can continue to fly and in most cases have a better standard of living. Every 0-3 in the Army I know that has made the switch loves the CG.

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
USCG standard of living may be nice... just don't go to FLETC Charleston - that place is a POS.

Clux4

Banned
FLETC - Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

What is wrong with the place? What am I missing?

helmet91

Charleston's downtown is AMAZING.

The Charleston FLETC on the other hand is atrocious. It's in the middle of the ghetto first off, the barracks (old BOQs) are infested and the galley is disgusting. Let's not even get started on the classroom facilities.

I'm assuming a USCG aviator will never step foot on the place* but I'd avoid it like the plague regardless.

*it's the location of the Coasties' Basic Boarding Officer School - no aviators obviously.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Charleston FLETC on the other hand is atrocious. It's in the middle of the ghetto first off, the barracks (old BOQs) are infested and the galley is disgusting. Let's not even get started on the classroom facilities.

Ummmm, Charleston's ghetto is tiny. And downtown is something like a mile away, you can walk it if need be (yes, even in that part of town). All in all, not a place I would be complaining about.

helmet91

Whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't have a problem walking either, just as long as I stopped by the guardshack on the way out and picked up the ol' service pistole on the way out. I just spent about three weeks down there last month and wasn't that impressed the immediate area.

I wish they could take FLETC Glynco and combine it with downtown Charleston - that would be a nice place.

Oh well, it was worth it - I'm off to Germany shortly...

sardaddy

pilot
The O-4 promotion board met last week so when the results come out I will pass the percentages for this board. The O-5 pick up rate was an incredible 85% this year and I think O-4 is projected to be the same. Lucky year to be in the zone. All I care is that I get selected. It doesn't matter if I am the bottom of the barrel as long as I am in the barrel.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
The O-4 promotion board met last week so when the results come out I will pass the percentages for this board. The O-5 pick up rate was an incredible 85% this year and I think O-4 is projected to be the same. Lucky year to be in the zone. All I care is that I get selected. It doesn't matter if I am the bottom of the barrel as long as I am in the barrel.

Yea, but the surprising part of the last O4 board were that aviators took a beating. It will be interesting how this one turns out. Either way, you gotta love your changes with those percentages. Good luck! :D

AH64Daviator

TIS requirements

Hello gents(ladies too)

I have looked at the selection criteria for FY10, and noticed that the TIS waivers are considered, and I can only hope that it holds for FY12 when I am eligible for seperation. I have read, although unofficially, that the 10 years federal service applies only as 10 years or less as a warrant/commissioned officer and enlisted time did not count. Can anybody verify this? Also, has anyone had a conditional release approved if they were still in their initial flight school ADSO? My obligation is up in April of 2012, and my total time in service will be just a couple months over 10 years (warrant and enlisted). Just out of curiosity, what are they main points that the board looks at when selecting applicants?

highside7r

None
Hmm doesn't sound correct, but if it is, hell I'm in! I was under the impression federal service meant service regardless whether enlisted/commissioned.