• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Columbian Hostages Rescued in daring operation

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Indeed! I was reading this BBC Article about the rescue and it really sounds like something out of a movie. I wonder what will become of FARC after this; not only are some serious bargaining chips lost, but the knowledge that the highest echelon of FARC leadership was infiltrated has to cause some commotion.

Not a shot fired. Impressive; glad to see our training's paying off.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Movie within the next 5 years....i'll bet my fiance...any takers? :)

p.s. Zissou, i noticed no posts from you in the last couple of days..where you in Colombia by any chance? ;)

Zissou

Banned
No, but I am going to Northrup Grumman in Orlando for lunch......

Unrelated issues but Im sure we will have a drink or two in honor of the great news.

MasterBates

Do you guys think they're going to start trying to "clean house" and start a witch hunt?

As paranoid as many leftist outfits have been through history, you bet your ass there will be some house cleaning..

Oh yes, there will be blood.

Killing terrorists: Great
Making their operation less potent: Better
Getting them to kill themselves: Bitchin!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
No, but I am going to Northrup Grumman in Orlando for lunch......

Unrelated issues but Im sure we will have a drink or two in honor of the great news.
Sounds like an interesting lunch :D

Also that sounds like one seriously awesome intel coup...

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Sadly reading the article it seems that two of them have contracted leishmaniasis.

I saw that leishmaniasis, while incredibly nasty looking, has a 95% chance of being defeated by newer medicines. Pretty good odds. That reminds me of that south park where they make fun of SARS, if anyone else is still 9 years old maybe they'll get that with me. Either way, leishmaniasis is not something that I want to contract.

Zissou

Banned
When I read that they used the IRC as cover for the deception I expected the shit to hit the fan.

Nothing.

Until today.

CNN has the story .

(I still havent mastered the copyright rules so hopefully the wise can hook it up)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I read that they used the IRC as cover for the deception I expected the shit to hit the fan.

Nothing.

Until today.

CNN has the story .

(I still havent mastered the copyright rules so hopefully the wise can hook it up)

Here's the link to the story. I'm sorry if this violates the copyright rules:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americ...oss/index.html

I can see them getting very pissed over this one. If the Red Cross symbol loses credibility in future incidents I can see this coming back to haunt them.

No worries. Links are OK and even encouraged by copyright holders (they want you checking out their site, not this one). What puts up a red flag is quoting from copyrighted sources without permission. You can write your own summary, but don't use their words.

Zissou

Banned
It absolutely will be.

In the video the operators were clearly wearing IRC style bibs. No way to spin that one.

Very keen of the IRC to wait until the high of victory had ebbed before calling bullshit.

Though an effective form of cover it was not smart. It unraveled years of good will that did and would have saved lives.

The IRC has long been the conduit through which prisoners received medicine, proof of life, and recovery when FARC felt generous. FARC does not attack IRC A/C, vehicles, or personnel.

Hell hath no fury like Medicines Sans Frontiere. A buddy of mine passed himself off as a expediter for them in Eritrea while working and found himself on a French watch list, he cannot transit through De Gaul on his way to the ME now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very keen of the IRC to wait until the high of victory had ebbed before calling bullshit.

Though an effective form of cover it was not smart.

The IRC has long been the conduit through which prisoners received medicine, proof of life, and recovery when FARC felt generous. FARC does not attack IRC A/C, vehicles, or personnel.

That bridge is burnt.

You are unfortunately correct, especially since they probably could have gotten away without using the IRC insignia/symbols in the operation.