• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Columbian Hostages Rescued in daring operation

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This troubles me, as I'd like to think if I ever need it, access to the IRC will be available.

On the other hand, the whole process of trying to mitigate the suffering of people while maintaining neutrality seems kind of cold and hypocritical.

Not sure how upset I am that they used it to rescue 15 people including 3 americanos from narco-terrorist nasty SOBs

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be interested to know (besides what the FARC has done) what the frequency of IRC visits/participation has been in POW/hostage situations in the last 20 years. I would suspect that as unconventional/assymetric warfare increasingly becomes the choice MO, their openness to humanitarian NGOs may not be what we've seen in earlier conflicts.

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be interested to know (besides what the FARC has done) what the frequency of IRC visits/participation has been in POW/hostage situations in the last 20 years. I would suspect that as unconventional/assymetric warfare increasingly becomes the choice MO, their openness to humanitarian NGOs may not be what we've seen in earlier conflicts.

Brett

We let them visit Guantanamo with some regularity.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
It's not just in Columbia. The repercussions will be wherever the IRC operates. I don't know how they are going to resolve this.

Zissou

Banned
It's not just in Columbia. The repercussions will be wherever the IRC operates. I don't know how they are going to resolve this.

I disagree, the IRC's international reputation shouldn't be affected at all.

The IRC had nothing to do with the deception, it was perpetuated by the Columbian government.

The IRC develops a trusting relationship at the local level. In fact most of the people they deal with don't have tv or newspapers. Hell, few read or write actually. So odds are pretty good this story wont make it to the places they are doing good work.

busdriver

None
If the local FARC type probably deal with the same IRC reps on a somewhat regular basis, and their vetting is done by word of mouth, it would seem that they'd simply be more cautious in the future to only deal with people who are "confirmed" IRC. I think this change may hurt the red cross symbol and it's placement on vehicles and whatnot, but if personal interactions are involved, they should still get access.

But I'd agree that this was probably a bad idea in the long run.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I guess the IIRC could tell the freed hostages they have to go back to the rebels on principle.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Using the Red Cross emblem was a pretty shitty move on their part...makes it hard for the next guy that gets kidnapped. But kudos to the media for spreading it to everyone in the world so NOONE will trust the red cross. I love the media...:icon_rage