• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

Chida

For those a few years over the line, any advice on things I should do as I complete the final lap? Do you regret not topping up non-pay points your last year?
-I did PME (Air War College) courses in my final year to boost up my points. I only did the easy courses (no papers to write). I got an extra 19 points this way, worth an extra $19 per mo in retirement, most likely, so whatever. I was IRR my final 4 years and averaged 86 points per year.
-Definitely download or otherwise secure whatever documentation you can to prove your service. Once you're out of the system it will be difficult or impossible to obtain.
-I signed up for $250k life insurance for my life and $100k for the wife via MOAA's Leaving the service guaranteed issuance. You're allowed to sign up within 120 days of retiring and it's a good rate. Need to be a MOAA member, though. I signed up for the lifetime membership and they send me their magazine every month which is a good way to stay informed about the goings-on in DC that affect retirees. I'd recommend it.
-If you have any lingering issues with pay or decs, make a claim before you retire because once you are out, it becomes difficult/impossible. For example: I figured out they should have paid me an affiliation bonus some 10 years prior, so I made a claim about 1 year before retiring and it was paid. Much easier to get leave paid out well before retiring, if you have any still on the books. Also had some missing decs and got those corrected and in my record.

-I did PME (Air War College) courses in my final year to boost up my points. I only did the easy courses (no papers to write). I got an extra 19 points this way, worth an extra $19 per mo in retirement, most likely, so whatever. I was IRR my final 4 years and averaged 86 points per year.
-Definitely download or otherwise secure whatever documentation you can to prove your service. Once you're out of the system it will be difficult or impossible to obtain.
-I signed up for $250k life insurance for my life and $100k for the wife via MOAA's Leaving the service guaranteed issuance. You're allowed to sign up within 120 days of retiring and it's a good rate. Need to be a MOAA member, though. I signed up for the lifetime membership and they send me their magazine every month which is a good way to stay informed about the goings-on in DC that affect retirees. I'd recommend it.
-If you have any lingering issues with pay or decs, make a claim before you retire because once you are out, it becomes difficult/impossible. For example: I figured out they should have paid me an affiliation bonus some 10 years prior, so I made a claim about 1 year before retiring and it was paid. Much easier to get leave paid out well before retiring, if you have any still on the books. Also had some missing decs and got those corrected and in my record.
How’d you manage to stay IRR for the last four years? I thought they were trying squeeze out guys from that? Like kicking you to standby S-2 after a year in the IRR or something? Well done and congrats though!

Chida

USAFR, what they call PIRR (participating IRR) has 2 programs: Civil Air Patrol Liaison (what I did) and Academy/AFROTC Admissions Liaison. Might also be Funeral Honors detail, but I don't know. But yeah, straight IRR (what USAFR calls NNRPS or non-participating non-ready personnel section) is impossible as they only give you 15 points and disallow any other points by reg. So at most you can be IRR for a portion of 1 year and a portion of the next to keep getting good years. I think they kick you out (or are supposed to) after 1 or 2 bad years.

I know Navy has Admissions Liaisons for USNA. Do they also staff it with IRR?
Not really. I did Navy admissions and funerals for years while in the IRR, but maybe 10 years ago or so the Navy did the “you get one year in the IRR-ASP, then you get booted to the standby reserves and can’t earn any points”. So, I don’t think there’s any way somebody can spend meaningful time in the IRR and make it to retirement.

snake020

Contributor
Not really. I did Navy admissions and funerals for years while in the IRR, but maybe 10 years ago or so the Navy did the “you get one year in the IRR-ASP, then you get booted to the standby reserves and can’t earn any points”. So, I don’t think there’s any way somebody can spend meaningful time in the IRR and make it to retirement.
maybe if they did < 8 years active and were within their MSO, but they'd have to affiliate with SELRES or VTU to get to 20.

maybe if they did < 8 years active and were within their MSO, but they'd have to affiliate with SELRES or VTU to get to 20.
Yes. I’d you’re within your MSO you can get points, but I think the BGO (Blue & Gold Officer, aka Admissions Officer) is closed now and only available to those grandfathered in.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Yes. I’d you’re within your MSO you can get points, but I think the BGO (Blue & Gold Officer, aka Admissions Officer) is closed now and only available to those grandfathered in.

Dumb questions, what’s MSO and how’s it different than BGO?