• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those a few years over the line, any advice on things I should do as I complete the final lap? Do you regret not topping up non-pay points your last year?

I'd get copies of everything, from your ARPR/ASOSH to your medical records. After hearing so many stories of folks needing paperwork to prove something left me wary of not getting copies of everything. As a matter of fact I just recently needed copies of my LES's from 5+ years ago for my civilian work, guess what one thing I didn't keep complete as comprehensive paper copies of as I thought from my reserve career?! Requesting old ones through DFAS has been frustrating so far.

This actually brings up one thing I've been wondering about, is there a way you can confirm when your retired pay starts if you did MOB's that qualify you for earlier retirement? I now when it should, but I want to make sure the Navy has the same date.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'd get copies of everything, from your ARPR/ASOSH to your medical records. After hearing so many stories of folks needing paperwork to prove something left me wary of not getting copies of everything. As a matter of fact I just recently needed copies of my LES's from 5+ years ago for my civilian work, guess what one thing I didn't keep complete as comprehensive paper copies of as I thought from my reserve career?! Requesting old ones through DFAS has been frustrating so far.

This actually brings up one thing I've been wondering about, is there a way you can confirm when your retired pay starts if you did MOB's that qualify you for earlier retirement? I now when it should, but I want to make sure the Navy has the same date.

My understanding is you have to apply for retirement when the time comes, so you likely need proof of all the things to show to the YN, who is probably in diapers right now...

:rolleyes:

snake020

Contributor
I don't think it works like that. I'm planning on applying for retired pay at the age I know I'm eligible and attaching the copies of my DD-214s citing the eligible sections of 10 USC that qualify for reduced age retirement pay.

taxi1

pilot
I don't think it works like that. I'm planning on applying for retired pay at the age I know I'm eligible and attaching the copies of my DD-214s citing the eligible sections of 10 USC that qualify for reduced age retirement pay.
I got my pay a year early based on a MOB, and sent a letter with the DD214 along with a description about 9 months before that. It worked.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Submitting my NSIPS retirement request this week… :D

It’s a little different if you’re retiring from the VTU… I’m very much in a “press to 50” mindset. My last two years have been around 65 or so points per year. When you don’t fly, or even get $ on Navy time, the motivations change.

The way i see it, it’s one of a few income streams I plan to have in retirement anyway. Despite inflation, maybe it’ll be enough for me to take my wife out for a cheeseburger once a month or so in retirement. The $0.40/mo difference isn’t worth the headaches now.
;)

100%, i just meant more the mechanics of how the pension is calculated weighs points total heavily, no matter who you are. Certainly not suggesting that 130 pts/yr is what every reservist should target……not feasible or desirable for many. My point more being that a Hail Mary at the end isn’t going to change a whole lot.

Also not planning my life/finances around my mil pension, by any means. It’ll be a nice beer money fund when I’m 60, at least that is about all I’m banking on it for :)

taxi1

pilot
For reminding PERS to give you your pay before age 60.
Here is the text of my letter to PERS, sent 6 months prior to the date I was entitled to receive pay. It worked!

Commander
Navy Personnel Command (PERS-912)
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055

Dear Sir:

Attached are my forms requesting retirement with pay. I am entitled to receive reserve pay on DD MMM 2019.

My 60th birthday is on DD MMM 2020, however I mobilized in support of Operation Enduring Freedom during the period 2009-2010, with 241 days of active service in FY09 and 181 days of active service in FY10. Therefore I believe I am entitled to receive pay 12 months prior.

I have attached my DD-214 issued at completion of mobilization to confirm the active period, and also a worksheet with tables showing the computation.

Sincerely,

Fleet Admiral Taxi1

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here is the text of my letter to PERS, sent 6 months prior to the date I was entitled to receive pay. It worked!

Commander
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055

Dear Sir:

Attached are my forms requesting retirement with pay. I am entitled to receive reserve pay on DD MMM 2019.

My 60th birthday is on DD MMM 2020, however I mobilized in support of Operation Enduring Freedom during the period 2009-2010, with 241 days of active service in FY09 and 181 days of active service in FY10. Therefore I believe I am entitled to receive pay 12 months prior.

I have attached my DD-214 issued at completion of mobilization to confirm the active period, and also a worksheet with tables showing the computation.

Sincerely,

Fleet Admiral Taxi1
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055

To: Fleet Admiral Taxi1
1 Hawkeye Way
Somewhere, USA

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

Commander
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055

Dear Sir:

Sincerely,

Fleet Admiral Taxi1
Did you ever make it into the Helmand Province? If so, maybe we crossed paths.

Although,I don't remember many Navy personnel at Bastion. We did have a boot copilot who turned away from a shower trailer bc it said "Navy Showers Only"....so there's that

Hair Warrior

Contributor

Commander
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055

Dear Sir:

Sincerely,

Fleet Admiral Taxi1
Are only OCONUS contingency orders eligible? I did some local ADOS (CONUS) and wondering if that would count toward earlier pension eligibility.