• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossing the finish line... running, walking or crawling... (Reserve Retirement Process)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are only OCONUS contingency orders eligible? I did some local ADOS (CONUS) and wondering if that would count toward earlier pension eligibility.

Here is a complete list and the link, the relevant US Code that you are on active duty for is in your orders:

The National Defense Authorization Act for 2008, section 647, amended USC Title 10, section 12731, reducing the eligibility age for Reserve retirement pay.

Includes call or order to active duty under provisions:
10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(13)(b); 10 U.S.C. § 12301(d); and 32 U.S.C. § 502(f).

Service Credit for Reserve Retirement
Retired members called to AD (10 U.S.C. § 688), Mobilized (declared by Congress) (10 U.S.C. § 12301(a), Mobilized (declared by President) (10 U.S.C. § 12302), Mobilized for other than war or national emergency (10 U.S.C. § 12304), Stop loss (10 U.S.C. § 12305), National Guard in federal service to repel invasion, suppress rebellion; enable execution of laws (10 U.S.C. § 12406), National Guard in federal service to suppress insurrections against another state; enforce federal authority; respond to emergencies; suppress rebellion prevent interference with state law (10 U.S.C. chapter 15)

Any other provision of law during a war or during a national emergency declared by the President or Congress.

Voluntary Active Duty Service Eligibility
Voluntary Service under 10 U.S.C. § 12301(d) includes both MPA funded orders and RPN funded orders for the following active duty eligible service:
Voluntary active duty (definite recalls), Operational Support (ADOS - formerly ADSW), ADT (except Annual Training), Initial ADT (IADT)
Other Training Duty (ODT), Medical treatment, medical evaluation for disability purposes or medical study (10 U.S.C. § 12301(h), Operation Noble Eagle, Operation Enduring Freedom.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Here is a complete list and the link, the relevant US Code that you are on active duty for are is in your orders:

The National Defense Authorization Act for 2008, section 647, amended USC Title 10, section 12731, reducing the eligibility age for Reserve retirement pay.

Includes call or order to active duty under provisions:
10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(13)(b); 10 U.S.C. § 12301(d); and 32 U.S.C. § 502(f).

Service Credit for Reserve Retirement
Retired members called to AD (10 U.S.C. § 688), Mobilized (declared by Congress) (10 U.S.C. § 12301(a), Mobilized (declared by President) (10 U.S.C. § 12302), Mobilized for other than war or national emergency (10 U.S.C. § 12304), Stop loss (10 U.S.C. § 12305), National Guard in federal service to repel invasion, suppress rebellion; enable execution of laws (10 U.S.C. § 12406), National Guard in federal service to suppress insurrections against another state; enforce federal authority; respond to emergencies; suppress rebellion prevent interference with state law (10 U.S.C. chapter 15)

Any other provision of law during a war or during a national emergency declared by the President or Congress.

Voluntary Active Duty Service Eligibility
Voluntary Service under 10 U.S.C. § 12301(d) includes both MPA funded orders and RPN funded orders for the following active duty eligible service:
Voluntary active duty (definite recalls), Operational Support (ADOS - formerly ADSW), ADT (except Annual Training), Initial ADT (IADT)
Other Training Duty (ODT), Medical treatment, medical evaluation for disability purposes or medical study (10 U.S.C. § 12301(h), Operation Noble Eagle, Operation Enduring Freedom.
Sweet, thanks for that. It counts then. I’d be drawing retirement pay 18 mo early. And probably will go on AD again in my career. Plus, one perk of joining late in life is that there won’t be more than a handful of years when I’m without pay, if I retire at 20 years, knock on wood.

taxi1

pilot
Sweet, thanks for that. It counts then. I’d be drawing retirement pay 18 mo early. And probably will go on AD again in my career. Plus, one perk of joining late in life is that there won’t be more than a handful of years when I’m without pay, if I retire at 20 years, knock on wood.
It is based on 3 months earlier for each 90 day cumulative chunk in a fiscal year, so that's why I made up a table and did the math for them in my letter. Didn't want some knucklehead Bupers guy fat fingering the calc.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is based on 3 months earlier for each 90 day cumulative chunk in a fiscal year, so that's why I made up a table and did the math for them in my letter. Didn't want some knucklehead Bupers guy fat fingering the calc.

The 90 days can go across FY's now, they 'fixed that glitch' in the 2015 NDAA.

The 2015 NDAA authorizes 90-day periods to cross over fiscal year boundaries after 30 September 2014. It is not retroactive.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Tracking. My ADOS was 183 days and MOB was 377 so I’m good to go.

snake020

Contributor
I just got my retirement order in a letter from NPC (pleasantly surprised their admin churn seems to have picked up steam) and it had this paragraph:

1721163290330.png
So it does seem they may be on top of this now.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
@taxi1

How much prior to your 58th bday did you submit this? I’ll probably be in a similar boat in like however many years between now at 41 and that really really old age you were in 2020

taxi1

pilot
@taxi1

How much prior to your 58th bday did you submit this? I’ll probably be in a similar boat in like however many years between now at 41 and that really really old age you were in 2020
I submitted it six months prior to turning 59, whippersnapper.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I just got my retirement order in a letter from NPC (pleasantly surprised their admin churn seems to have picked up steam) and it had this paragraph:

View attachment 40891
With regard to the medical benefits sentence, what do retired reservists do for health insurance between their date of retirement and age 60, assuming there’s a gap?

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
With regard to the medical benefits sentence, what do retired reservists do for health insurance between their date of retirement and age 60, assuming there’s a gap?

I believe you just continue the plan you use for the rest of the grey area; TriCare Retired Reserve, your employer’s health plan, VA coverage, etc.

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot

View attachment 40891

I got the same letter last month, six months before I finish my 20th year (and four months after submitting it and getting NRC CO approval). There was a blurb in the NSIPS comments about them being able to process all the way now without NOE, due to some recent changes. Whatever those were, I’ll gladly take the advance notice of approval.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor