• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DREAM SHEET -- '60's-'70's

DREAM Sheet -- Naval Air of the '60's/'70's

• Total voters

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...the phantom is in the lead with 59%??? ....
Actually ... it's kinda interesting how the overall numbers are working out so far. The numbers somewhat parallel the realities of the flight deck of the period (not taking land based into account) :

19 Attack

20 Fighter

2 Other

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If I were a pilot: A-6, F-4, A-4. As a 'FO, F-4, A-6

Something about the Intruder that has always sparked my interests... I think the only plane I' want to fly before the Intruer would be the original Corsair.

As a NFO, F-4's all the way, A-6 being in second.

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
F-4= Harley of the skies

OV-10= More like a vespa with a better engine, but with an awesome mission!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
O.K. ... I see you took matters into your own hands ... post #6 notwithstanding :D ... just "proves" my VP-guy point made therein :D .... so cancel SPAD/OV-10 option and choice #11 will be devoted to one Navy squadron that flew for 3 years.

Ain't this a GREAT country??

You know Zab wanted P-2's..... :D :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The A-7 was proof that a rock could fly!

-ea6bflyr ;)

So was the F-4. McDonnell-Douglas theory of flight: Put enough thrust on a roak and it'll fly. Beautiful aircraft though. The first military aircraft I ever sat in was an AF Phantom.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The A-7 was proof that a rock could fly!

-ea6bflyr ;)
And the F-4 was proof that a brick could ... :D

Old McDonnell-Douglas joke of the day went something like:

"The F-4 is proof positive that if you put enough thrust on a brick -- it WILL FLY"!!! :D

A great, great airplane, thought ...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Why did you mix A-6 with EA-6B??? I would clearly want attack, but not EA. I based my choice on mission, loadout, and then crew (in that order).

1. A-6 (max bombs, all attack, not single seat, but you get the best of the NFOs)
2. A-4 (not as many bombs, but single seat and very fun to fly)
3. F-4 (not as much A/G, but still lots of bombs when they did)
4. F-8 (not much A/G, but still single seat and a hell of a classic jet).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why did you mix A-6 with EA-6B??? I would clearly want attack, but not EA. I based my choice on mission, loadout, and then crew (in that order).

1. A-6 (max bombs, all attack, not single seat, but you get the best of the NFOs)
2. A-4 (not as many bombs, NO ZUNIS, but single seat and very fun to fly)
3. F-4 (not as much A/G, but still lots of bombs when they did)
4. F-8 (not much A/G, but still single seat and a hell of a classic jet).

There, fixed it for ya!!! :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Why did you mix A-6 with EA-6B???...
Uhhhh ... they both have the same relief tube ???

Yeah, I hear you, but I had to do some trimming and make some choices, otherwise the poll would have had 30 selections. :)

And then some bully came along and put one of his own in there and nearly made me .... :icon_cryi

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Just to clarify, the F4H (which became the F-4 in September 1962 after the designation change) was designed by McDonnell Aircraft, which became McDonnell Douglas (no hyphen) after the merger in 1967.

The design was a follow-on to the F3H (later F-3) Demon, which had multiple problems... one was the original powerplant, the J40, was totally inadequate, and another problem was that the aircraft could not be flown in "visible moisture." (the engine would flame out). Not a real great thing for an "all weather" fighter.

Some of the F3H aircraft in the first batch, with the J40 engines, were towed through the streets of St. Louis and loaded on barges for a trip down the Mississippi River to Memphis, where they were used as "A" and "B" school training aids at NAS Memphis.

The standing joke when the F4H made its first appearance was that the wingtips were turned up so that they would clear the fire hydrants on the St. Louis streets when they were towed to be loaded onto the barges.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
No Zunis on th A-4? You sure about that? I know that they stopped doing rockets off of the TA-4J right before I got there, but what were they? 2.75"?

In any case, not having ZUNIs would be worth the trade off.

By the way, R.O........ why were the wingtips pointed up like that on the F-4? Spanwise flow?