• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DREAM SHEET -- '60's-'70's

DREAM Sheet -- Naval Air of the '60's/'70's

• Total voters

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No Zunis on th A-4? You sure about that? I know that they stopped doing rockets off of the TA-4J right before I got there, but what were they? 2.75"?

IIRC, that's why multiple A-4 pilots ended up in Vietnam. Just saying....You DON'T WANT THEM....not that they couldn't carry them. :)

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No Zunis on th A-4? You sure about that?....
Viola !!! ZUNI's on A-4's ... you even got a bonus of them launching off a USMC A-4 !! :) We had a thread a while back on that subject -- or at least some posts ...

zunidm6.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That looks like shadetree/loom lobby. Don't recognize the squadron, though. Is that VMAT-204?
zunidm6.jpg

I think it's VMA-324 from either Yuma or Beaufort .. I think they were home ported in each MCAS at one time or another ... I don't know the tail code, but the patch on the fuselage "looks" like the Devil Dogs ... ???

Most likely the Yuma time frame as they're flyin' the humpback.

*edit* .... that is it -- I found this on the Skyhawk website:

" ..... A-4M Skyhawk BuNo. 158158, side number DX 3 was on Detachment at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Arizona on April 22, 1971 and is shown firing a Zuni rocket. VMA-324 was the first operational Marine squadron to receive the A-4M Skyhawk. The A-4Ms were received by VMA-324 at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma ...."

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If I could fly a Huey with the HA(L) squadrons of that period, then it'd be a helo all the way, otherwise.....hmm, I'd probably have to say A-4 just b/c it could get so close to the fight.

Redux

Some of the F3H aircraft in the first batch, with the J40 engines, were towed through the streets of St. Louis and loaded on barges for a trip down the Mississippi River to Memphis, where they were used as "A" and "B" school training aids at NAS Memphis.

I can attest to that, SECOND aircraft I ever laid a hand on in AMH-A school circa 1969/1970 Memphis. (ask old timers about the "finger room") The first you ask?.............the A4, neatest set of flight controls I ever saw, hydro MECHANICAL. The F3 btw was a oversized pig especially for a under powered engine but it had a modern hydraulic system, or so they said. :)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
1. A-1: Guns, rockets, bombs, and a prop. What more could I want? The current ride has four of one of those and not so much on the others. Maybe I really belong on the dream sheet of the 1940s thread.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
If we can specify eras and missions as well -

Phrogs (with the dynamic component upgrade) on an MSC ship making the great circle route from Austrailia to Bali to HK to Singapore to Thailand, etc.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can't believe the Viggie ranks so low! Who wouldn't want to fly a plane whose sole mission in life was to go like stink?

MasterBates

I picked the following:

F8- Because it is cool. And a no-shat fighter.
A6- Because it carries a shat-ton of bombs.
A4- Would have been higher, but I like legroom.

phrogpilot73

Here's what I selected (and in order of my preference)

1. Helos (UH-1/CH-46 would be sweet back then)

If I had to fly fixed wing:

2. A-6
3. A-4
4. OV-10

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I used to hate the F-4 irrationally. About three years ago I suddenly decided after the Corsair and P-38 there was no plane I loved more. A-4 had been my favorite of the era before that. OV-10; hell of a mission / would love a COIN / RIVRON T-6 / H-60 pipeline to open up.

Bring back HAL and VAL ('course, I want fighter-floatplanes off a CA and PT boats too)!

This is the dream sheet thread, right?