• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DREAM SHEET -- '60's-'70's

DREAM Sheet -- Naval Air of the '60's/'70's

• Total voters

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For all the A-7 wannabe's, here's the solution:
Electric-Ducted (A-7?/F-8?) Fan Jet for only $39.99! Get 'em while they last!!!
97895.jpg

-ea6bflyr ;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
My choices were the A-6 and then the Spad. There's something about attack aircraft. The RA-5 comes in at a close #3.

I gotta ask...why is a dedicated reconaissance aircraft so popular? I guess it had a nuke capability as well, but it's not as if you'd do THAT everyday.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A-6 in a heartbeat. I'd put it first if it were here today. Lots of gas, lots of bombs, cool mission.

/Attack guy. There won't always be bandits to shoot down, but there will always be people/things to bomb.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I gotta ask...why is a dedicated reconaissance aircraft so popular? I guess it had a nuke capability as well, but it's not as if you'd do THAT everyday.

I just think it looks cool and it flies fast. There's just something about it. Same thing with the SR-71.

Redux

A Vigie was kinda like a Hemi Cuda, even sitting still it looked like it was doing mach2 and in a "clean" configuration without all the shit hanging from it's wings and wheels in the well it looked like a bullet. Much cleaner looking airplane then a Phantom and one look at it told you what it was made to do.

I always felt sorta sorry for the NFO, he had a really shit view.......well not too sorry. :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot can be said about "looking good" and "going fast." In its time, the RA-5C epitomized both.

I must admit at the start of my naval career, it was the aircraft I hoped to fly for those very same reasons. Later, I learned some other conflicting reasons why I might not want a tour in Vigi's – both because of the A/C, and because of it's modified and somewhat limited mission. However I still wish I had gotten to fly it...... at least once. It was a thing of beauty.
(And it was a superb vehicle for the recon mission over NVN, having extraordinary success despite heavy enemy fire because of its speed.)

Because of its difficulty coming aboard the boat, only 2nd tour pilots ever got orders to Vigi's.
Then I think with my class, they began putting brand new nuggets in it. Against their personal preferences, they assigned the top two pilots in our winging class to RA-5's, because of its infamous difficulty around the boat. With a lesser grade, I lucked out with F-4's. ;)

vigikg7.jpg

[As for the entire list, I did fly a few of them, and I sincerely wished I had the opportunity to fly them all. They were all great, for various and diverse reasons.]

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This is why you don't want to fly VIGI's as a RAN ... see the little square window behind the cockpit ... ?? THAT's a RAN's view of the world ... :eek:

Oh, yeah -- he's got one on the other side, too .... :D

vigimx3.jpg

One of my classmates lived, breathed, ate and slept flying ... he knew more about aircraft & flying than any of the rest of us. He had a pilot's license w/ beaucoup hours when he showed up in P-COLA. He had wanted to FLY NAVY ever since he was a kid ...

Unfortunately, he was somewhat challenged in the aviating department and washed out -- went NFO and became a RAN. We "ran" into one another on cruise -- he in the "heavy" squadron -- he hated it -- VIGI backseat -- and hated the mission. Got out after his obligation was up and went to work for Boeing ... :(

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A-4's

F-4's, It's hard to say "no" to two after-burning J-79's.
Normally I'd agree w/ that -- unless this was my panel and this was where I saw the sun come up ... i.e., the little left hand "window seat" .. :D

vigilanteranreargt3.jpg
vigilantera5crancb8.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Normally I'd agree w/ that -- unless this was my panel and this was where I saw the sun come up ... i.e., the little left hand "window seat" .. :D

Couldn't he also see under and behind the jet with the nav package (um OK, not much better I know!)

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Couldn't he also see under and behind the jet with the nav package (um OK, not much better I know!)

We had Viggies on both cruises I made. I asked one of the RANs about the lack of visibility. They had the two windows (up very high... had to almost do a chin-up to see out of them), they had the TV camera in the nose and there was some sort of window where he could look straight down (water... water.... water...STEEL!!!!)
I asked him if he ever left the forward-looking TV on during a carrier landing. He said he had done it ONCE... would not do it again.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
#1--F-8 Crusader
#2--A-7 Corsair II (I have 6 hours in the back of the TA-7C and the pic is still on my wall)

I'm a Vought man