• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DREAM SHEET -- '60's-'70's

DREAM Sheet -- Naval Air of the '60's/'70's

• Total voters

Redux

Or hear the scream/squeal of a P2 or an EC-121's brakes as they go taxiing by ... :eek:

I love BIG NOISES.

I'm thinkin more of the protest noise dollar 18 bladder brakes made on taxi. Yeah, they were 2800's but close enough. ;)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I grew up around OV-10's, and I still wish we had 'em... I was always impressed by the way it looked.. Almost pre-historic... What always baffled me was how they could fit five men with all their combat gear in the back of one of those things and spit them out over hostile territory. I guess they did it though..:eek:
ov10jumpers.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
I grew up around OV-10's, and I still wish we had 'em... I was always impressed by the way it looked.. Almost pre-historic... What always baffled me was how they could fit five men with all their combat gear in the back of one of those things and spit them out over hostile territory. I guess they did it though..:eek:
ov10jumpers.jpg

Saw that one time at a Pax River airshow. The OV-10 came across balls to the wall at about 300', pulls close to vertical, and several (can't remember the number) Marines spill out the ass end. Very impressive. :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Time hack: GMT/UTC: 02:58 Fri 05/16/2008

112 - ATTACK

87 - FIGHTER

7 - VIGI

1 -
A-3/STOOF/AEW/C1-C2 COD

8 - HELO

3 - PATROL

11 - that other thingy ... OV what ??? :)

I'm surprised how few picked A-7 ... i.e., 9 respondents. I hated that semi-pig airplane in spite of it's excellent VFR dive-bombing ability (7+ hours LSO X-training) but I LOVED to dogfight it whenever some "Fruit-Fly" driver THOUGHT he would like to "get some" ... :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No Zunis on th A-4? You sure about that? I know that they stopped doing rockets off of the TA-4J right before I got there, but what were they? 2.75"?

In any case, not having ZUNIs would be worth the trade off.

Not only did A-4s carry Zunis, T.R. Swartz (former F-8 driver in a 27C A-4 squadron), got a MiG kill with a Zuni.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Saw that one time at a Pax River airshow. The OV-10 came across balls to the wall at about 300', pulls close to vertical, and several (can't remember the number) Marines spill out the ass end. Very impressive. :eek:

Heh, yeah.. Impressive isn't the word when you're five and see it for the first time.

VMO-2 Christmas party.... A Bronco did exactly that, except out of the ass end came Santa Claus (The CO.)

Wish I had a picture of that... I do, however, have a beautiful pencil sketch of an OV-10A hanging right above my computer. Great bird.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Time hack: GMT/UTC: 14:43 Fri 05/16/2008

116 - ATTACK

91 - FIGHTER

7 - VIGI

1 -
A-3/STOOF/AEW/C1-C2 COD

8 - HELO

3 - PATROL

11 - that other thingy ... OV what ??? :)

So as of now -- ATTACK leads the pack -- does our "Dream Sheet" mimic life in the '60's-'70's Naval Air Force ??? It might appear to and I suppose one could make that argument .... that's somewhat interesting to me, as you don't have the choices today that we did in yesteryear.

Some things
don't change -- in this case, the spirit that brings guys into Naval Aviation.

Someone once told me: "We're not the way we are because we're Naval Aviators ... we're Naval Aviators because of the way we are ... "

I agree w/ his observation.
:icon_wink

bobbybrock

None
Here is an interesting note for any of you guys wishing to fly OV-10's. CalFire ( fomerly CDF ) flys OV-10's. They use them to fly air controllers. They are stationed out of McClellan Field in Sacramento. It is contracted out along with the S-2's . I believe the contractor is DynaCorps. Sorry for the threadjack A-4's.

FastMover

NFO
None
Piston-engine attack for me, please. The A-1 has always been one of my favorites, followed by the A-7 and A-4.

midway-1103b.jpg

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I concur with the above. A-1H all the way. You gotta have some stones to fly that thing into combat.

Nothing quite like an old prop aircraft like that. Wooooo gives me chills.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
My choices were the A-6 and then the Spad. There's something about attack aircraft. The RA-5 comes in at a close #3.