• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E and F Model Hornets

navyao

For those of you guys coming from the Tomcat into the SH community, how are you guys handeling the change? Montellv, were you a BK before they transitioned? As you can see I'm not an "O" and I'm not in a hook squadron anymore so I don't know. But from my time in the VF community I can only imagine that telling a fighter pilot he's going to be carrying a centerline buddy store to pass gas has to be tough?

Regarding having a backseater and not having one; I recall reading something about the F-8 drivers and when they transitioned to the Phantom how they wanted nothing to do with having to fly with a RIO because they were used to flying alone. I'm still surprised that VF-14, 143 and 31 have, or will transition to the E mod; with the need for FAC(A) crews at a premium I would have thought they would've transitioned all the F-14 crews to the F mod SH for the FAC(A) assets. But what do I know, I'm outta the loop now. Thanks in advance for you replies.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Most of the former Tomcat guys I've flown with are alright with the change... in fact, there's more than a few that say they wish they'd flown the Rhino all along, since the F-14A was a flying EP. What's interesting is that the Baby Hornet and Super Hornet guys can go back and forth... so you see F/A-18C guys going to a former Tomcat squadron for their department head tour. See? One big happy air wing......

Most fighter guys shrug at the idea of flying aerial refueling, but it's part of the game, and only part...

I'm not sure myself about sending F-14 squadrons single-seat, but remember, the "master plan" for a long time was to have far fewer F/A-18Fs... so I guess we take what we get :)

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
paikea said:
General question: How do you like the Rhino, Montellv? How would you describe your experience with it?
paikea,
Like most of my buds agree, it has goods and others. (Not a complete list)

Goods: avionics, slow-speed maneuvering, nose authority, forgiving of stupidity, ergonomics in the cockpit, WSO's (F's only of course).

Others: Power, overall speed, tanking, canted pylons (WTF), legs (more of a tweener)

I would compare it to a Cadillac with all the cool bells and whistles. In addition, it's a priority program so a lot of money is spent on new systems. Retro-fiting the older jets is secondary. Lastly, a jet is only as good as the crew flying it so I think our training and practice makes us lethal in any platform.

To answer your original question. I love it. It is, however, the only tactical jet I've flown so I'm biased. I have a great squadron with a bunch of brilliant guys. That makes all the difference in the world when you are in work-ups or cruise and can enjoy hanging out together outside of the ready room.:D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
paikea said:
How did the name "Rhino" come about for the SH?

There used to be some stories around about why it was called the Rhino...if I remember from when they CQ'd on the Stennis from 125...

Called it the Rhino cause it:
- Can't see very far
- Has short legs (not true really..better than C/D)
- Can get up and go real fast for short burts
- Can dish out a good whomping
- Ugly like a Rhino (I made that one up :))

Or something like that.

Cheers,

G

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
montellv said:
To answer your original question. I love it. It is, however, the only tactical jet I've flown so I'm biased. I have a great squadron with a bunch of brilliant guys. That makes all the difference in the world when you are in work-ups or cruise and can enjoy hanging out together outside of the ready room.:D

BKR to the MAX!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EODDave said:
The Rhino see's just fine.

Fun Rhino facts from the San Diego Zoo http://www.sandiegozoo.org

some are applicable....
• Don't be fooled by a rhino's lumbering size—a black rhino can thunder along at 40 miles per hour (64 kilometers per hour)!
• A group of rhinos is sometimes called a “crash”—an appropriate term for a large and ponderous animal that can crash through just about anything in its way.
• Rhinos may look indestructible, but their skin is actually quite sensitive, especially to sunburn and biting insects. That's why they like to wallow in mud.
• White rhinos have a hump of muscle on their necks and shoulders to hold up a head that can weigh 2,000 pounds (907 kilograms)!

Behavior
Rhinos live in home ranges that sometimes overlap with each other. Feeding grounds, water holes and wallows may be shared. The black rhino is usually solitary. The white rhino tends to be much more gregarious. Rhinos are also rather ill-tempered and have become more so in areas where they have been constantly disturbed. While their eyesight is poor, which is probably why they will sometimes charge without apparent reason, their sense of smell and hearing are very good. They have an extended "vocabulary" of growls, grunts, squeaks, snorts and bellows. When attacking, the rhino lowers its head, snorts, breaks into a gallop reaching speeds of 30 miles an hour, and gores or strikes powerful blows with its horns. Still, for all its bulk, the rhino is very agile and can quickly turn in a small space.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Schnugg said:
A group of rhinos is sometimes called a “crash”—an appropriate term for a large and ponderous animal that can crash through just about anything in its way.
So would that be a section or a division of Rhinos? :D

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
nittany03 said:
So would that be a section or a division of Rhinos? :D
Elements and flights...geez, didn't the new joint flight training environment teach you anything?