• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

E and F Model Hornets

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
theobbq said:
Granted cause the Prowler's a modified A6 but what about the hornet backseaters.

They have a good view from the 90 to the 45 (although they do sit about a foot higher than the pilot). After that, the canopy bow or headbox is about it. Being comm out during the day means even though they see the ball, it doesn't do them much good. At night, it's an ICS call letting them know I see it. Plus they have the HUD repeat up so they can cross check the ACLS needles.

Jedj

BKR, you guys kill me, how are the lectures going? Are you a WSO? And for the record, the Black Aces are the sister squadron to greatest hornet squadron there is. They should be proud.

"Montellv, are you with the Black Aces?"

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
montellv said:
VFA-154 Black Knights Here. BKR!
I'm sorry but I'm getting a visual with Will Smith saying, "Move Knights, move!"

Oh, Independence Day; the begining of Hollywood's love affair with the F-18, the only aircraft in the US arsenal...

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Not those Black Knights (USMC). As far as SFARP, the pain from the pen in my eye has become a dull ache.
Dawson, just a lowly stick monkey (aka, voice actuated auto pilot).

Paikea, BKR=Black Knights Rule. I think he's talking about VFA-14 Tophatters. We are one-of-a-kind in our airwing.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
From what I've heard, the guys calling the ball behind the ship tried several different names, i.e. "super hornet ball", "super ball", etc. and someone came up with "rhino" do differentiate it from the hornet all together. The rhino looks and acts differently at the boat, so they have done several things to let you know it's a SH and not a legacy. It has a different strobe pattern as well as a daytime ID light. These are really to help the ship set the arresting gear for the heavier SH.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
montellv said:
From what I've heard, the guys calling the ball behind the ship tried several different names, i.e. "super hornet ball", "super ball", etc. and someone came up with "rhino" do differentiate it from the hornet all together. The rhino looks and acts differently at the boat, so they have done several things to let you know it's a SH and not a legacy. It has a different strobe pattern as well as a daytime ID light. These are really to help the ship set the arresting gear for the heavier SH.

Also harks back to the F-4, doesn't it?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Also harks back to the F-4, doesn't it?
Yes .... but for the F-4 we called 'em "Double Ugly" or "Ol' Smoky", instead. Maybe the AF used "Rhino" more that the USN ... ??? The Israeli's called the Phantom the "Hammer", or something similar.

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
General question: How do you like the Rhino, Montellv? How would you describe your experience with it?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Rhino= awesome...

Still a community in progress... I'm curious to see if it develops its own distinctive personality (like the old Tomcat types) or if the cross-pollination makes it one big, happy, F/A-18 air wing