• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s not a rationalization, it is politics. They attack their opponents....Such things are as old as America’s political history...Abraham Lincoln...Woodrow Wilson...Harry Truman...Lyndon Johnson...

The point is, we have never lived in an era of gentlemanly politics, the only difference now is that every off-the cuff comment is amplified over and over again by Social Media.

Attacking a rival politician's combat record is well out of the norm, even rare, particularly post-WWII. Only one example you use comes close and was less his performance in combat than his leadership of the Army. I can think very few instances where that has happened recently, and the one glaring example that comes to mind was mainly because they made their war record the key part of their subsequent anti-war activities. Even in today's more partisan political environment attacks on a politician's combat record remains rare from political rivals (attacks from random trolls is a different story).

So yeah, still a rationalization.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Interesting to hear how little FP focus there was at this GOP convention. Vance made nary a mention of UKR, despite being a junior senator with a very anti-UKR aid history.

The former POTUS just makes fantastical statements that stuff wouldn't have happened if he were in office, or that he'll solve the UKR situation on day one.

Kind of same/same with Taiwan. (not trying to turn this into the Thunderdome...just my observation)

Edit: Also, zero mention of the importance of NATO, and our other alliances around the globe.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Interesting to hear how little FP focus there was at this GOP convention. Vance made nary a mention of UKR, despite being a junior senator with a very anti-UKR aid history.

The former POTUS just makes fantastical statements that stuff wouldn't have happened if he were in office, or that he'll solve the UKR situation on day one.

Kind of same/same with Taiwan. (not trying to turn this into the Thunderdome...just my observation)

Edit: Also, zero mention of the importance of NATO, and our other alliances around the globe.
Those aren’t the top concerns of voters. Those aren’t dealbreakers in the voting booth.

It’s the economy/ cost of living/ jobs. Abortion. And which POTUS candidate is better for the office.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Those aren’t the top concerns of voters. Those aren’t dealbreakers in the voting booth.

It’s the economy/ cost of living/ jobs. Abortion. And which POTUS candidate is better for the office.
I don't disagree with your assessment. But, I think we can all agree that a majority of American voters are morons...from all sides of the political spectrum. I think there's unity in that statement. 😆

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I don't disagree with your assessment. But, I think we can all agree that a majority of American voters are morons...from all sides of the political spectrum. I think there's unity in that statement. 😆
I wouldn’t call them morons. But if you want to call them too busy with life to delve into and understand nuanced policy matters, sure. That’s the whole point of representative government - elect some poor someone to have to commute to DC, be present for votes, have their life scrutinized, and do all the policy stuff on behalf of your state/district.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I wouldn’t call them morons. But if you want to call them too busy with life to delve into and understand nuanced policy matters, sure. That’s the whole point of representative government - elect some poor someone to have to commute to DC, be present for votes, have their life scrutinized, and do all the policy stuff on behalf of your state/district.
I really don't have much sympathy for members of congress...they'll get by just fine.

It seems though that it's a magnet for a lot of grifters...not sure what the answer to that is.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I really don't have much sympathy for members of congress...they'll get by just fine.

It seems though that it's a magnet for a lot of grifters...not sure what the answer to that is.
I was sort of being facetious. They do better than fine. Santos and Menendez are the latest examples of grifter, on both sides of the aisle.