• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Willow Grove... now that is old school. :D
It was still around when I was in flight school. We did a T-39 X/C there for Army-Navy/to visit my folks, but the base was completely dead aside from some reservist Marine helos. The base complex still exists, but they turned over most of it to the county and there’s only a small section being used by the PAANG for an MQ-9 control center. The runway has been shut down.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was still around when I was in flight school. We did a T-39 X/C there for Army-Navy/to visit my folks, but the base was completely dead aside from some reservist Marine helos. The base complex still exists, but they turned over most of it to the county and there’s only a small section being used by the PAANG for an MQ-9 control center. The runway has been shut down.
It was a big reserve P-3 presence up until the mid-90s. Not sure where that ended up.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
It was a big reserve P-3 presence up until the mid-90s. Not sure where that ended up.
I believe there was still P-3 presence there in the late 2000's, but I could be wrong. The reserve -53 squadron moved next door to Lakehurst after the closure. .cool blimp hangars there.

Edit: JB McGuire is more accurate I guess.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Forgot about that flick. It was the height(only) of CH-53E Hollywood glory. The reservists from NAS Willow Grove came in and scooped up POTUS after the nuclear blast in Baltimore. 😁
Ah yes, the movie that gave credit for everything my current agency (DTRA) does to everybody but DTRA.

If you can find the commentary track (remember those?), I think it’s floating around YouTube somewhere, it’s awesome. Two hours of Tom Clancy talking nonstop shit about how much the movie sucks while he’s literally sitting right there with the director.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not trying to derail this thread, but NAS Brunswick was slightly better. What are these BRAC turds doing to us? 😆
I believe there was still P-3 presence there in the late 2000's, but I could be wrong.

The 4 5 P-3 squadrons, 3 4 active and one reserve, were there until the late 2000's when the active ones moved to Jax and the reserve one disestablished. It was a popular option for some P-3 guys, great for outdoor activity, and a great stopover for us on the way to and from Bahrain. Make sure to get your lobster orders in with the guys coming home!

I was there for the great ice storm in '98 for SERE when over half the state lost power. It was a bit surreal, I remember getting up in the mornings to go to class and the first thing I did was start my car to let it run while I got ready so I could chip enough ice off to drive to the schoolhouse at 10-15 mph over the thick ice on the roads. It delayed us 2 and half days getting to the field where we were able walk without snow shoes on top of the ice encrusted snow and cut blocks of it to make shelters, in the interval we literally drank the hotel bar dry.

Edit: Forgot about the 'special' one.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not trying to derail this thread, but NAS Brunswick was slightly better. What are these BRAC turds doing to us? 😆
Also not trying a derail, but, flew up there in the Enstrom and the wind set me up to come off the coast toward Rwy 01. The tower let me race down old 01L (now closed) instead of having to hover taxi the whole 1.4 miles! The place looks so forlorn but they still have the big air show there.

Back to Europe….it would be nice to have an NAS in the Northeast just to chase Putin’s boats around the icy North Atlantic.

number9

Contributor
Also not trying a derail, but, flew up there in the Enstrom and the wind set me up to come off the coast toward Rwy 01. The tower let me race down old 01L (now closed) instead of having to hover taxi the whole 1.4 miles! The place looks so forlorn but they still have the big air show there.

Back to Europe….it would be nice to have an NAS in the Northeast just to chase Putin’s boats around the icy North Atlantic.
I used to work and coach at Bowdoin College, which is just down the road from NAS Brunswick. One fall practice the Blue Angels were practicing for their air show and they flew over our practice field; they were low enough that I could make out the pilot nodding his head at us.

I went to the air show a few days later, and the view wasn't nearly as good!

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I used to work and coach at Bowdoin College, which is just down the road from NAS Brunswick. One fall practice the Blue Angels were practicing for their air show and they flew over our practice field; they were low enough that I could make out the pilot nodding his head at us.

I did an advance for an FRS training det there. After scouting out the downtown pubs at night, I remember hoofing it past Bowdoin back to the NAS. I guess there wasn't a good Uber network up there. 😄

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think Beria had anything to do with it. You can't fake this kind of surprise:

Pg-8-Arts-Stalin.jpg

;)

The whole part about them trying to figure out what to do as he lay at death's door is apparently relatively accurate.

Notanaviator

Contributor

Coles Tower was the place to watch! You had the solos whizzing past you at eye level. Was always a highlight of getting back to school in August, usually the air show was right around semester starting.
I did an advance for an FRS training det there. After scouting out the downtown pubs at night, I remember hoofing it past Bowdoin back to the NAS. I guess there wasn't a good Uber network up there. 😄
Use of the plural here is generous haha - when I was at Bowdoin, your option was basically Joshua's (for Chamberlain), and was always a pretty good mix of college kids and P-3 folks. Alas, more pubs now, but no Navy folks.