• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Stalin had everyone so fucking terrified for so long that even when he was dead they were afraid to do anything.
I think the same can be said of Putin, or especially Xi. There will be an internal crisis when those two shuffle off this mortal coil.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
I believe there was still P-3 presence there in the late 2000's, but I could be wrong. The reserve -53 squadron moved next door to Lakehurst after the closure. .cool blimp hangars there.

Edit: JB McGuire is more accurate I guess.
That's correct. HMH-772 is part of MAG-49 up at McGuire portion of JBMDL.

Random8145

Contributor
I think the same can be said of Putin, or especially Xi. There will be an internal crisis when those two shuffle off this mortal coil.
I haven't been following Chinese politics much, is Xi like a dictator who controls his subordinates through real terror?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I was there for the great ice storm in '98 for SERE when over half the state lost power
I somehow managed to not go through SERE school while waiting for Primary, just luck of the draw I guess.

I will say that as a 3 pump FRS IP senior O-3 contemplating getting out, my OpsO and XO totally fucked with me about me having orders to SERE school. For a hot second, I was resigned to the fact. All I knew was that you didn't want to be higher in rank than a boot. Luckily, they let me off the hook.

Eh, but next thing I knew I got lent to an operational squadron and was in AFG. Not bitching, but it was slightly jarring. Going from teaching cones basic monkey skills...to being an Assault Flight Leader on my first flight for a day insert into a mountain village in the Helmand.province was...weird.

Still would have preferred that to SERE school though. 😆

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
...to being an Assault Flight Leader on my first flight for a day insert into a mountain village in the Helmand.province was...weird.
i ent a lot of time as cargo in Army -47’s in Afghanistan. Just out of curiosity, how was the -53 at those altitudes?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I somehow managed to not go through SERE school while waiting for Primary, just luck of the draw I guess....

Did you not go through SERE school at all? Folks not showing up to their first fleet squadrons without SERE was not really a thing by the time I went, though I know it had been just a few years earlier. There were at least half a dozen Marines that went through my class that were well into their fleet squadron time or past it, one of them was the OIC and had a lot of fun as expected.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did you not go through SERE school at all? Folks not showing up to their first fleet squadrons without SERE was not really a thing by the time I went, though I know it had been just a few years earlier. There were at least half a dozen Marines that went through my class that were well into their fleet squadron time or past it, one of them was the OIC and had a lot of fun as expected.

SERE was never a requirement for the Marines, though many would attend if they had time and an allocation. Interestingly, the same for SEALs, although I gathered they made more of an effort to get their guys there at some point early on.

My class had an O-4 VP NFO as our class leader. I have no idea how or why she was there at that point, but she was terrible.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
SERE was never a requirement for the Marines, though many would attend if they had time and an allocation. Interestingly, the same for SEALs, although I gathered they made more of an effort to get their guys there at some point early on.

My class had an O-4 VP NFO as our class leader. I have no idea how or why she was there at that point, but she was terrible.

My original class leader was an O-4 reaper guy. He was also horrible, and the only one out of the 50 or so of us that failed SERE. When the XO (a USN fast boat driver) took over, things got a lot better for us.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What timeframe was that? I heard after the Hainan EP-3 incident a lot of dudes who hadn’t been required to go to SERE before all of a sudden found themselves with orders.

In other news, the Ukrainian mil leadership gave their first formal update on the Kursk incursion earlier today. They’re claiming they control about 400 sq mi of Russian territory. The Russians are claiming they’ve stopped the advance - for the fifth day in a row. What’s curious is the Russians are pulling regular line units from Kharkiv and the Donbas to Kursk, but for political reasons they’re trying to keep C2 with FSB and Border Guards, who are absolutely not set up to control and direct a conventional fight.