• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It is very interesting to note that Ukraine is looking at exploiting Russian vulnerabilities well outside what we consider the traditional war zone. A recent (July) ambush in Maii destroyed a substantial Wagner force was executed by forces trained by Ukrainian special operations.

number9

Contributor
It is very interesting to note that Ukraine is looking at exploiting Russian vulnerabilities well outside what we consider the traditional war zone. A recent (July) ambush in Maii destroyed a substantial Wagner force was executed by forces trained by Ukrainian special operations.

As someone who lived in Mali for 3 years (back in the good times) can I just say that I absolutely love to see it.

GroundPounder

My original class leader was an O-4 reaper guy. He was also horrible, and the only one out of the 50 or so of us that failed SERE. When the XO (a USN fast boat driver) took over, things got a lot better for us.
How do you fail? My guess is you either just tell everything without any attempt at resistance, or just flat out fail to participate in the training itself. I know that they try to keep SERE details to a minimum, I'm not looking for any inside knowledge.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
How do you fail? My guess is you either just tell everything without any attempt at resistance, or just flat out fail to participate in the training itself. I know that they try to keep SERE details to a minimum, I'm not looking for any inside knowledge.
In my day Enlisted crew went on a Space A basis. One of our loadmasters got orders and checked in and as his classmates told it was one of the first caught and stuffed in a box. Well they could not get him back out of the box. Back story ended up being that his wife had left him and took the kids a couple of days before he reported in. He figured he could not get more miserable than he already was at that point. A fair amount of shit rolled back down on the COC over it. FWIW he managed to put the episode behind him and move on.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Did you not go through SERE school at all? Folks not showing up to their first fleet squadrons without SERE was not really a thing by the time I went, though I know it had been just a few years earlier. There were at least half a dozen Marines that went through my class that were well into their fleet squadron time or past it, one of them was the OIC and had a lot of fun as expected.
Nope, never went. IIRC it was probably like 50/50 if you got sent while you were in the training pipeline. That was early 2000's. Not sure what it's like today.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
i ent a lot of time as cargo in Army -47’s in Afghanistan. Just out of curiosity, how was the -53 at those altitudes?
We were never at extremes in our operating areas. I believe that the gouge was that the tandem rotor system of a -47 was more efficient at high DA's (maybe a smart guy like @IKE can weigh in)

Never got to go, but the Army runs a mountain flying course in Colorado, that was highly respected. Maybe there are some AW guys/gals on here that attended?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Surrendered while others were filing out of the classroom to head to the field.

Brought iPad to keep up with Survivor episodes.

Had pizza delivered to POW camp.

Swore loyalty to a country that doesn’t even exist.
Sounds like he did as well as John Candy in this scene.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
We were told he did everything wrong.

Like e v e r y t h i n g.

I would imagine you got more of a full debrief than I did. But from what we could see in the class, he just could not grasp the scenario and his role in it… he just seemed to be on a different planet than everyone else.

I don’t know how his career went after that particular training failure, but I don’t think he would have been a good fit in any of the units I have served with. I’ll leave it at that.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Had pizza delivered to POW camp.

Swore loyalty to a country that doesn’t even exist.
Hmmm. Both of those are pretty workable resistance postures, actually. Provided, of course, that the hypothetical country isn’t the ones your captors are also asking you to swear loyalty to.