• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a bit anecdotal, but when I was in Germany in '96, there were a few West Germans that weren't at all happy about the reunification. I do remember the stark difference between West and East Berlin, but I'm sure it's different now.
The Luftwaffe guys I went through flight school with said everyone was kind of disgruntled with how it went. Seemed like the West felt like they got saddled with the costs of bringing a poor backward economic shambles up to their standard of living, and in the East they felt like it was more like a takeover than a reunion.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Luftwaffe guys I went through flight school with said everyone was kind of disgruntled with how it went. Seemed like the West felt like they got saddled with the costs of bringing a poor backward economic shambles up to their standard of living, and in the East they felt like it was more like a takeover than a reunion.
Wasn't pretty to be sure - but in hindsight, I think the smart choice was creation of the EU by any means necessary, and crushing nationalism in Europe for good. The EU wasn't a perfect construct when it started and getting one Germany was the priority and avoiding the spread of what would happen in the Balkans.