• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
This seems to be a bit hyperbolic. They may be more conservative than you'd like but erring in that direction to not risk further escalation isn't necessarily a bad thing. Here's what Germany has committed to the defense of Ukraine of you're interested.
Yeah, i was a bit hyperbolic. I was mainly referring to Germany dragging their feet on Taurus missiles for about a year after the UK started sending them Storm Shadows. I guess we just sent them an undisclosed number of JASSM's this Aug, so that's good.

Either way, it's a debate.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I really don’t worry much about Russian nukes or Putin’s policies. I genuinely believe the Chinese navy, while large and getting better, is still a bit of a Potemkin Village. When, however, I do wonder about our ability to defend ourselves in the future I worry about this:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Give that man an Air Medal!
Air Medal or not, I believe the crew chiefs I served with would come out of retirement to shoot Shaheds down...as long as they can light up in the back, and we could all get a pizza at Imperial on the way back.

Old habits die hard. 😆

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Air Medal or not, I believe the crew chiefs I served with would come out of retirement to shoot Shaheds down...as long as they can light up in the back, and we could all get a pizza at Imperial on the way back.

Old habits die hard. 😆
That’s a dangerous game in that airspace (East Ukraine), and in that airframe (Mi-8)

Random8145

Contributor
I really don’t worry much about Russian nukes or Putin’s policies. I genuinely believe the Chinese navy, while large and getting better, is still a bit of a Potemkin Village. When, however, I do wonder about our ability to defend ourselves in the future I worry about this:

Another concern about China navy-wise is their shipbuilding capacity.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mi-8 nose turret action (I assume the gunner sits between pilots and a little forward)

The Mi-8 has a pretty big gap between the HAC and copilot, but I’m curious if they relocated the centerline instrument console…I doubt they’d have the gunner just squat on it, though from that video sure looks like he’s sitting on something. 1724776154262.jpeg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Here's a diagram of an Mi-8 from my 1988 Squadron Signal book on the subject: - shwing nose mounted 12.7 MM gun (note how low the gun placement is)

PXL_20240827_173114656.jpg

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
The Mi-8 has a pretty big gap between the HAC and copilot, but I’m curious if they relocated the centerline instrument console…I doubt they’d have the gunner just squat on it, though from that video sure looks like he’s sitting on something. View attachment 41041
That cockpit looks like a nightmare WRT a static display, when you've got CAP nerds asking you what 'this button does, what does this switch do'....😆

-former CH-53 driver

Last edited: