• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I personally was surpised when first read about that since the Navy which has NTDS shouldn't face such troubles. My sailors then still worked with Morse code mostly so I was really surprised
To be specific, the ATO could have been transmitted, at a glacial pace but certainly quicker than flying it around the CVBG, but at the cost of other more important comms.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I know guys that made the deliveries. Crazy clumsy low tech and slow. But it worked. As has been mentioned, that was when the ATO process was in its infancy and networks did not have the bandwidth to transmit that kind of data.
How did we collaborate with the USAF during Vietnam? I realize many of the lessons learned there are ultimately what led to the joint targeting and joint fires processes we have now, but how did it work then? I guess I never considered what the interim process was between WWII (where I assumed each service basically owned their own fires and targeting as they saw fit) and post Goldwater-Nichols/the joint military we have today.

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
How did we collaborate with the USAF during Vietnam? I realize many of the lessons learned there are ultimately what led to the joint targeting and joint fires processes we have now, but how did it work then? I guess I never considered what the interim process was between WWII (where I assumed each service basically owned their own fires and targeting as they saw fit) and post Goldwater-Nichols/the joint military we have today.
Been a while since I've read about this, but I think they used the "Route Pack" system that divided North and South Vietnam into airspace blocks called Route Packs. The USAF and Navy operated in different Route Packs and did their own targeting that would be originated at the Executive Branch level.

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Only a fool of a military professional would mock logistics. People who don't know any better sometimes mock them because they're the "fat ugly POGs," "rear echelon MFers," "in the rear with the gear," "the lowly quartermaster," the attitude of, "Yeah yeah, just see to it..." supplies-wise, etc...plus logistics is very boring to most people and there is no glory in it in the way that the combat arms has. But a military culture that looks down on the logistics personnel is going to find itself in a world of hurt. This was one of the issues the German military had in WWII. They had a culture that looked down on logistics. For example, everyone likes to cite the genius of Rommel, and he was a genius at the tactical level from my understanding, but at the operational level Rommel was, for lack of a better word in my opinion, a moron . He kept outrunning his supply lines in North Africa and gave short shrift to the logistical limitations of the Wehrmacht. As a result, he kept getting beaten back. Whereas Montgomery, who was smart about logistics, patiently built up his supply lines and pre-positioned supplies and refused to counter-attack Rommel when Rommel was trying to goad him to (which Rommel then ranted about). He also made sure to watch the speed of his forces so that they did not outrun their supply lines. As a result, he drove Rommel all the way back across Africa. Patton too also kept outrunning his supply lines and could have suffered severely had the Germans had the ability to launch a major counter-attack when he did so.
As a Loggie, I agree. Bullets don't fly without Supply.;)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Been a while since I've read about this, but I think they used the "Route Pack" system that divided North and South Vietnam into airspace blocks called Route Packs. The USAF and Navy operated in different Route Packs and did their own targeting that would be originated at the Executive Branch level.
Correct, but aircraft could violate their route in case of an emergency. Imagine something like “broken arrow” call in “We were soldiers…” At that point an airborne controller (EC-121 or E-1) would bring them together and stack them up and then a FAC would bring them in.

Notanaviator

Contributor
Very little has been confirmed of what Ukraine has claimed so far when it comes to Russian losses and I would be wary of those claims unless there is visible proof, of which there is a lot more than in the past but nowhere near the amount of what has been claimed so far.

This has been an interesting resource that popped up on the equipment front. Pretty exhaustive detail, separate photo/vid logs for each individual piece of destroyed equipment on both sides…

Given that they were reliant on leftover USSR-era aircraft that had been modified little since '91 their effectiveness was almost certainly pretty limited. Even with skilled pilots you can only do so much if your gear isn't as good as the other guys.
Which is also why I would imagine the well intentioned but likely harebrained plan to lend lease aircraft fell apart? Y’all can speak to this better than I, but would imagine the Slovak/Polish/German -29s were alike more in name than innards? And then I saw this!

“Pilot retraining is minimal. All that is needed is painting Ukrainian insignia and delivering the aircraft. This could be done in days.”

Had to double check it wasn’t April Fool’s.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Pilot retraining is minimal
But tactical training is not. There isn't such thing like FAC(A), especially single-seat, in UA training pipeline, let alone doctrine. It's changeable, but it takes time.
Traditionally for all military in post-Soviet world the person which has to have full SA is the ground staff operative, not someone aloft or even grunts in contact. There is only one task harder than putting new thought into head of O-7 and higher - the task of getting out the old one from there. Russians now demonstrate that with full evidence.

Last edited:

Random8145

Contributor

This has been an interesting resource that popped up on the equipment front. Pretty exhaustive detail, separate photo/vid logs for each individual piece of destroyed equipment on both sides…

Which is also why I would imagine the well intentioned but likely harebrained plan to lend lease aircraft fell apart? Y’all can speak to this better than I, but would imagine the Slovak/Polish/German -29s were alike more in name than innards? And then I saw this!

“Pilot retraining is minimal. All that is needed is painting Ukrainian insignia and delivering the aircraft. This could be done in days.”

Had to double check it wasn’t April Fool’s.
I was thinking about how it's to bad they don't have any A-10s or Apaches, they could then really wreak havoc with the Russian forces.

Random8145

Contributor
On the Russians shelling this Ukrainian nuclear plant, if they could possibly cause a major meltdown that would release a huge amount of radiation that would threaten the West (and the rest of the world), could that constitute a form of attack on NATO and thus justify NATO intervening directly to stop Russian forces from shelling it? Like basically call up Putin and say, "You are going to force our hand with this nuclear plant, stop shelling it or else." I know the plant is now in Russian hands and the fires have been extinguished but I mean assuming it was still being shelled?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
I think the problem with hitting Russians on their soil with all NATO power is of neither nuclear nor at all warfare character: it would bring about the fall of the Russia as a state and resulting dark ages within Eurasian rim. So the West chose to choke the Russia as one piece. The problem is that Russia is not unitary whole thing and it will start to fall to pieces in any case, no matter what will happen to Ukraine, next minute after Putin's death, regardless the reason. What a charade...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
With reference to this…

The U.S. could potentially set up a system like CAMCO and the AVG as they did in China back in 1941 (imagine a modern “Pappy” Boyington in Ukraine!). This would bring the expertise, skills, and equipment to Ukraine but give the artificial feel of “non-participation” by the U.S. That is really the only way something like that could work and it is doubtful America has balls that size anymore for a number of reasons…to include nuclear weapons.