• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Shoestring??

phrogpilot73

OK, seems to me that even if you're single engine (and putting in a whole lotta rudder), that flying in "balanced level flight", i.e. - with the wind coming straight down the nose is going to be more beneficial (less drag, etc...) then flying out of balanced, level flight, i.e. - flying a track...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
so then, pray tell, why does single engine harrier have said weather(wind)vane?

Because sideslip is important in vstol ops. Excessive sideslip leads to a rolling moment that is normally countered by the vertical stab at higher wingborne airspeeds. In the slower regimes of vstol flight (jetborne or semi-jetborne), namely 30-90 kts, excessive sideslip can result in a rolling moment that is greater than control authority can correct.

Essentially, so long as one of AOA, airspeed, or sideslip is zeroed out, you're ok. Since sideslip is the easiest to control in most regimes of flight, we have a little vane to help.

Now you can go wow your friends with the knowledge of why a wind vane that looks like it costs 50 cents can save a $25 million aircraft.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think I understand all that, but it makes me wonder if it's as pronounced on a jet, which doesn't have the spiralling slip stream. Thanks for the lesson.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
In which case the good engine just takes you to the scene of the crash.

And you beat the paramedics by a good 30 minutes.

Ron White anyone?

B

Blutonski816

Now you can go wow your friends with the knowledge of why a wind vane that looks like it costs 50 cents can save a $25 million aircraft.

Awww.. c'mon man, it looks like it costs at least a couple bucks, lol...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The yaw string is about the only instrument that bever failed. Occasionally it would get caught in the radome hinge as it was closing. If it was seen like that duringa preflight, it had to be pulled free. A lot of Tomcats were "bent" and needed varying amounts lateral trim to fly ball centered at different airspeeds. Thus the string was used a lot.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
You had to point that out?!? Dammit... I knew that Eurocopter, Robinson, and Rotorway rely on a string (they don't have a ball, so it's predominantly mounted on the windscreen), but come on - we're HELOS. You'd kind of expect it from us, not from something that has a HUD! :D

And if the batteries go dead? Too many things are relying on electronics. It's nice to see something that is foolproof.:D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I would think vacuum-run would be a little more reliable. What do you think?

Well, vacuum and electrical systems have been around for some time, and military aircraft keep being designed electrical... they must know something.