• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Shoestring??

B

Blutonski816

ghost119 said:
Back to the yaw string. Where on the -14 is it located? I have looked for it and googled it, but I only found gliders with a piece of yarn duct-taped to the outside of the canopy. Hey, whatever works I guess.

Watch "The Final Countdown" there is a scene where a Tomcat recovers onto the boat, there is a closeup shot of the cockpit and you can see it flapping around.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Tomcat/zero dogfight in final countdown is one of my most favorite tomcat flying scenes EVER.

"just play with them" i love that line

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I think his point was that it would increase the capability of the jet, and saftey margin by a lot... seeing as how you can't fly 15 miles without tripping over and ILS into somewhere. It's the only widely used Prec. Appch. out there, and we don't have it.
I appreciate his point, however, the vast majority of the time, you're going to be flying (and planning alternates) into military fields - most of which have PARs. As someone who has flown a jet with ILS, I can tell you that it's not used all that much. Sure emergent situations could develop, but at the end of the day, someone who laments the lack of one particular type of NAVAID as the reason he runs out of gas sounds like someone who could do a bit more preflight planning. If the weather along your entire route of flight prohibits you from making an emergency approach with your available NAVAIDs, then it might not be a good day to fly.

Brett

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Mefesto said:
"Hey man, if one of these engines quits, how far can we fly on the other one?"

"All the way to the scene of the crash! I'll bet we beat the paramedics there by a half hour! We're hauling ass!"
"...traveling half the speed of smell..."

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
I appreciate his point, however, the vast majority of the time, you're going to be flying (and planning alternates) into military fields - most of which have PARs. As someone who has flown a jet with ILS, I can tell you that it's not used all that much. Sure emergent situations could develop, but at the end of the day, someone who laments the lack of one particular type of NAVAID as the reason he runs out of gas sounds like someone who could do a bit more preflight planning. If the weather along your entire route of flight prohibits you from making an emergency approach with your available NAVAIDs, then it might not be a good day to fly.

Brett

Well, since the Navy loves to play "what if's", I know the sim monkey's do, a PAR does you a hell of alot of good if you're NORDO. The only precision approach on your plate then is an ILS. Exacly shoo's point, why not add an ILS to a $33 million airframe, seems like a no brainer to me.

I was shocked to find the Prowler had an ILS, of course then I giggled when I saw the "runway" thingamabob is our course deviation indicator.

phrogpilot73

I guess I'm gonna have to learn all that whacky multi engine stuff... Seeing as how in 11 1/2 months (not that I'm keeping track), I'll be flying this:
vmr12low.jpg

Isn't she gorgeous?!?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Looks a little faye to me. It's so.....white. And I bet you don't slip on CPC when you get in the seat.

phrogpilot73

Looks a little faye to me. It's so.....white. And I bet you don't slip on CPC when you get in the seat.
Something also tells me that the phrase "if it's leaking, it's empty" doesn't really apply... OK, so I actually will split my time between that and:
DSC_0113LowRes.jpg

So, I won't have truly sold my soul to the devil! ;)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Something also tells me that the phrase "if it's leaking, it's empty" doesn't really apply... OK, so I actually will split my time between that and:
DSC_0113LowRes.jpg

What service -46 is that? I would have said Coastie, but didn't think they had any.

phrogpilot73

What service -46 is that? I would have said Coastie, but didn't think they had any.
That, my friend, is a United States Marine Corps CH-46D... Soon to be a USMC CH-46E... A battle Phrog, but in different livery... It takes A LOT of networking (and perhaps a FAC tour) to get orders to the squadron (used to be two, but now there's only one) that flies it. VMR-1 in Cherry Point flies the CH-46 as a SAR platform, as well as the UC-35 for VIP transport, and the C-9 for strategic lift...

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
DSC_0113LowRes.jpg

So there are purple Phrogs on the west coast and pink ones on the east coast, and by pink I mean like Tammy Faye Baker in hot pants at that trailer park you east coast guys call an air station pink.

you guys really are a bunch of pansies.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
That, my friend, is a United States Marine Corps CH-46D... Soon to be a USMC CH-46E... A battle Phrog, but in different livery... It takes A LOT of networking (and perhaps a FAC tour) to get orders to the squadron (used to be two, but now there's only one) that flies it. VMR-1 in Cherry Point flies the CH-46 as a SAR platform, as well as the UC-35 for VIP transport, and the C-9 for strategic lift...
Go for the C-9 instead of the Citation. Much better for the civilian resume although both will work. The Citation is very stable when flying those pesky ILSes. You also don't have to worry too much about the multi-engine aero stuff as (if I remember right, it's been about 3 years) its Vmc is below stall. If fact, when I got my CE500 type, we did V1 cuts in the plane instead of the sim.

Whichever you fly, be sure to go to the local FSDO after your NATOPS check and get the type rating added to your civilian license. When you upgrade it to an ATP for that future airline gig, the type automatically upgrades with it.

phrogpilot73

So there are purple Phrogs on the west coast and pink ones on the east coast, and by pink I mean like Tammy Faye Baker in hot pants at that trailer park you east coast guys call an air station.

you guys really are a bunch of pansies.
Hey, at least I don't have to hang out with Huey guys, and dudes who REALLY wanted jets, and "got" helos. We're all honest with ourselves in the Phrog community. We're there because we chose drinking over studying.

And really, it's not our fault that we have moose cocks that make everyone else feel jealous...

"Chicks dig Phrogs" - Shot out.