• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 Shoestring??

FLY_USMC

pilot
Mefesto said:
Looks like someone's been ripping off avatar's on Flightinfo...
Yeah, a friend told me about that site, good stuff, and yes...I did.

As for vacuum vs electric AI, I pretty sure in order to be certified CATII, you have to have an electric AI, amongst other things.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
hmm..learn something new everyday even though the aero lesson (API boredom anyone?) meant...:sleep_125

Still I bet those things cost a ridiculous amount of money according to the Department of Defense

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Electric.

Do any military aircraft have vacuum systems?
Most are electronic and attached to some kind of INS for attitude reference. Sure we have electric back-up peanut gyros, and I'm sorry if I'm leaving your A/C out if you're still operating with an old school analog BDHI, but even the veteran Prowler has color CRTs for Attitude and HSI displays.

Brett

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
ghost119 said:
AC96-0223-3_a.jpeg

WTF is that?!?!?!? ^^^

<-- gucci kinda guy

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Once someone figures out how to use a weapon that can shut off all electrically-run devices in a specific area, we might have a problem.

It's called Electro Magnetic Pulse. I'm sure you've seen it in movies, where it's much fictionalized, but a powerful enough one will knock out unshielded electronics.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most are electronic and attached to some kind of INS for attitude reference. Sure we have electric back-up peanut gyros, and I'm sorry if I'm leaving your A/C out if you're still operating with an old school analog BDHI, but even the veteran Prowler has color CRTs for Attitude and HSI displays.

Brett

MFDs here. Not color, but much better than steam gauges.

T45C_cockpit.jpg

Circle K

pilot
It's called Electro Magnetic Pulse. I'm sure you've seen it in movies, where it's much fictionalized, but a powerful enough one will knock out unshielded electronics

The biggest part of the fiction being that the most reliable way to get an EMP is a high altitude nuclear blast, and well, the simple fact is, if nuclear weapons are being flung through the air, there's a whole lot more to worry about than balanced flight inside the blast radius.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The biggest part of the fiction being that the most reliable way to get an EMP is a high altitude nuclear blast, and well, the simple fact is, if nuclear weapons are being flung through the air, there's a whole lot more to worry about than balanced flight inside the blast radius.

Actually, detonating a nuke in the ionosphere would fvck some **** up, AND make a happy radiation cloud.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Anyone who says nukes aren't beautiful is a liar, or a communist (ok, maybe Japanese?). Even my liberal friends think nukes are gorgoues to watch!!

petescheu

Well, vacuum and electrical systems have been around for some time, and military aircraft keep being designed electrical... they must know something.

Ha, I don't know how much they know, especially when they don't put a real ILS in a 35 million dollar Hornet. (The one installed, bullseye, works at the carrier and certain Navy fields only). Emergency + low fuel + real crappy wx + cross country = ejection = pissing away 35 million dollars, which is probably the same or less than what it would have cost to put the stupid thing in the fleet jets for starters... just my rant. So they know a lot, but not THAT much.
And with my 300,000 dollar tax payer education from a small engineering school in Maryland that happened to include three years of aerodynamics, I'm still not seeing how "balanced flight" and a centered ball for a jet aircraft such as the Hornet are not on opposite sides of =. I think maybe we are getting the terms "balanced flight" and "zero sideslip" confused. You can fly on one engine and have a centered ball, but you will have some angle of beta (not negative thrust in this case, but yaw angle) in order to fly a straight line over the ground. But then again it has been awhile...

petescheu

ghost119 said:
Oh yes. They all are. Such power. Such beauty. Then the hydrogen bomb came around and blew all other bombs away.

Yeah didn't that one that the Russians detonated underground (the 500 Megaton, ie 1 trillion pounds of TNT, hydrogen bomb, supposedly the biggest explosion ever created in history) change the earth's rotation speed by just a little bit?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
MFDs here. Not color, but much better than steam gauges.

T45C_cockpit.jpg

Used to love to watch T-45 HUD cripples come to the Prowler RAG.

"500, Prowler ball, no HUD" is always good for a laugh when the Hornets start wanking around the boat.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ha, I don't know how much they know, especially when they don't put a real ILS in a 35 million dollar Hornet. (The one installed, bullseye, works at the carrier and certain Navy fields only). Emergency + low fuel + real crappy wx + cross country = ejection = pissing away 35 million dollars, which is probably the same or less than what it would have cost to put the stupid thing in the fleet jets for starters... just my rant. So they know a lot, but not THAT much.
And with my 300,000 dollar tax payer education from a small engineering school in Maryland that happened to include three years of aerodynamics, I'm still not seeing how "balanced flight" and a centered ball for a jet aircraft such as the Hornet are not on opposite sides of =. I think maybe we are getting the terms "balanced flight" and "zero sideslip" confused. You can fly on one engine and have a centered ball, but you will have some angle of beta (not negative thrust in this case, but yaw angle) in order to fly a straight line over the ground. But then again it has been awhile...
If you're relying on an ILS approach to keep you from running out of gas, you're a bad aviator.

Brett