• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 pilot angers civilian pilot

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
F-16 Encounter Angers Pilots

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1079-full.html#197487

The FAA says it will likely investigate the complaints of a couple of pilots who say they were intercepted and shadowed, at close range, by an F-16 over Arizona earlier this month. Pilatus PC-12 pilot Patrick McCall and Beech Premier pilot Scott Laromee have both filed near-collision reports with the agency after they say they were aggressively pursued by an F-16 on March 21 in the Gladden Military Operations Area, a training area used by pilots from Luke Air Force Base near Phoenix. The area is open for use by civilian aircraft. In a podcast interview with AVweb, McCall said that when his TCAS activated about 10 a.m. that day while he was cruising at 16,500 (VFR with flight following) he ended up having to dive his aircraft as the target kept closing on him. The target followed him in the dive and when McCall leveled at about 14,000 feet, he was amazed by the view from his side window. “I then looked to my left side of the aircraft and saw an F16 aircraft off of my left wing,” he said in a written report sent to the FAA. “The F16 was no more than 20 feet off of my left wing.” AVweb contacted the media relations department of Luke Air Force Base on Friday and provided copies of both McCall’s and Laromee’s complaints but military officials did not respond to our request for comment by our deadline on Sunday.

Laromee declined detailed comment on the incident but he did confirm that it occurred and that he is demanding answers. “There are a lot of people getting involved in this. It’s not going to get swept under,” he told AVweb. According to McCall, after pacing his aircraft for a few moments, the F-16 accelerated vertically. A few minutes later, he said, he heard another pilot on the radio reporting a TCAS alert and announcing he was starting the vertical climb commanded by the TCAS gear to avoid what appeared to be an imminent collision. McCall said the other pilot then reported an F-16 pacing him at a range of only about 10 feet. The two pilots exchanged contact information over the radio and both reported the incident to the FAA when they were back on the ground. FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said the reports haven’t made their way through the bureaucracy yet but, assuming they do, the agency will look into the complaints. “The FAA would certainly want to know about an alleged incident like this. We likely would do an investigation, although the FAA does not have the authority to take action against a military pilot,” Gregor said. “The most we could do would be to send our investigation package to the military and rely on them to take appropriate action.” McCall said he’s contacted the military and is not satisfied with the response he received.

Got this from the corvette forum and to hear some of the things the civilians are saying is funny. I think many folks believe this defines military pilots:

mav4.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think the closeness of the distances (10 and 20') is exaggerated, at the very least. Phoenix is far enough from the border I don't think they were doing an intercept, so I'm somewhat skeptical.

I've seen that TG pic before, and I think the colors must be off on it, because it looks like a denim flightsuit.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The civilian is a lawyer btw. Maybe there's more to than meets the eye. A member on another forum emailed him, who is also skeptical, and he claimed he didn't know exactly how his TCAS system worked.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hmm, fly near an active MOA near an AF RTU for the F-16 and you see one...

Be afraid of your own shadow! The military is out to get you!

HornetGuy100

Warren "Buffett" Myers
When I first got my PPL (Private Pilots License.) I took a triangular flight that was from the airport I took off from, to another one, and then the next, forming a triangle pattern. And I made it to my first destination fine, refueled and then got back in the air. I experienced some immense fog, and called the tower issuing if I was heading in the right direction (assuming my instrument calculations were correct) and told me I was doing fine and I'd see it under me soon. Well I flew an extra 30 minutes, and started thinking to myself that it was beginning to take a while. So I called in again, and they'd told me I had flown right through an Air Force Space Station, a restricted area for civilian air, and told me to land over at a nearby airport. Well I got nervous and when I landed, my flight attendant was there telling me I had over 10 phone calls concerning me as an unidentified object, not known if I was civilian or not. And having no idea I was doing this the whole time, immediately felt like a retard. That's just something I did similar in this situation, except getting abused by two F-16's. Not a good way to show myself a new aviator. :D

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I wonder what a "highly complex" airplane is...
My favorite part is how he calls himself a "Renaissance man (a person with a wide range of interests and expertise)"
Pilatus.....yawn...no more complex than a T-6 Texan..I think it is funny that he kept diving out of 16.5 for 14 as the TCAS target kept closing and he looked out and saw an F-16 20' off his wing. Kudos to the Viper guy executing a nice "runner" with a diving lawyer :)...Personally, I doubt I would fly 20' away from a civilian, unbriefed with him, as unpredictable as civilians are, especially ones who just dove while VFR/no visual/on a TCAS hit from the 6 oclock.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/nnumsql.asp?NNumbertxt=121PH

1136672812_PICS%20135.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
But does the FAA recognize "highly complex" add ons? Do I need additional training?
Super Ridiculous Complex with Ludicrous Power is what you need.....or at least that is what a Renaissance man needs:D Either way, I am 100% sure piloting a Phrog gives you this:D (I saw a CH-47 cockpit this weekend..not a Phrog...buttttt....Respek yo:icon_smil)