• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 pilot angers civilian pilot

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Anyone else feel guilty when people come up to you, knowing there are 18 year olds getting shot at and IED'd? That is what I think of whenever someone "thanks me."
Yup.

Especially after the IA makes you realize just how far removed you've been. Kind of like the first time you see a game from field level after growing up only being able to afford the cheap seats.

That used to bug me - getting praise from home while reading EOD post-blast reports in a cubicle on an airbase with a BK, a DQ, and two Greenbeans.

But then, someone in the Air Force would bitch about how rough it was, and that would provide some distraction from the whole idea.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Anyone else feel guilty when people come up to you, knowing there are 18 year olds getting shot at and IED'd? That is what I think of whenever someone "thanks me."

All the time... the wife just tells me to shut up and not try to correct them or explain that my life there consisted of a view from 34,000 feet. It makes them feel good to thank someone.... I suppose.

For the record, I've deployed in two places while in the Air Force that had me wishing that I was back in my six-man stateroom on a six monther... no kidding.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Thats not your job though....unless on a specific IA or whatever it's called now. If one looks at WWII Naval aviators, there many who never saw much action, if any in a war that was obviously much bigger than Iraq could ever hope to be. They flew in the rear action after islands had been pounded into sumbission. No enemy aircraft, no big AAA guns, just maybe, a few Japanese soldiers with rifles. Some flew in the Atlantic, the odds of finding a German U-boat almost nill, flying holes in the sky. They did their part but were never going to see the action that the Marines did marching up the shores of Iwo or Tarawa. When folks thank me I say thank you, haven't done or seen shit but thanks anyway. I feel bad when Americans lose their life, young or old, but a soldiers life is mucho different than any aviators, always have been and always will be.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
My wife's a paralegal and everyone in her firm was more than happy to talk to me and thank me for doing what I did. But in south Texas I think nationalism and patriotism is the norm. That is... unless you live in Austin, the Berkley of the South.

That's the truth.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
As a Mid, it's the worst. Try explaining to them that all you do is study business---they don't get it. It's easier to just say "Thank you" and keep walking.

I don't. Yes, I know I've never been to Iraq or Afghanistan, or in an operational unit for that matter. I used to feel guilty. Then I asked on gentleman why he was thanking me and told him I'd never been deployed and it would be a while before I was even done training. He told me "I'm not thanking you b/c you've been there done that. I'm thanking you because you're willing to if and when its needed." Basically, he was thinking me for doing my part and just signing on the dotted line. After that, I stopped feeling guilty.

phrogpilot73

I feel awkward when I'm thanked - not because I haven't been there, done that, and not because I'm in a support role. I feel awkward because "you're welcome" seems very, very smug to me. That combined with the fact that I was proud to serve before it was popular, and would continue to do it if it wasn't. Normally I say something along the lines of "Thank you for your support, for me it truly is a privelege to be given the honor of serving my country."

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"I'm not thanking you b/c you've been there done that. I'm thanking you because you're willing to if and when its needed." Basically, he was thinking me for doing my part and just signing on the dotted line.
That is essentially the answer I got from a woman in the bank line one day. It is a nice sentiment and it does make them feel like they are providing a little personal support. While I do feel a bit strange when thanked, I am very glad for the example it sets for any young people that may be around. I think I'll use Phrog's response in the future.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I've honestly never thought about guys dying with IED's when someone tells me that, since, frankly, that's not what I do (different rate, different fate, etc).

I just use a version of Phrog's, either "thanks for your support" or "i appreciate your support".

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
x2. "You're welcome" comes across as super arrogant to me... that's the kind of thing I'd say to code pinkers just to shove it in their face. To John Q. Citizen, I simply say something along the lines of "Thank you for your support" and try not to come off too much like a politician.