• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

None
Pretty close. This flight was the maiden test of the first production model. The prototype flew plenty to secure the JSF contract.

Ahh, but that was only a technology demonstrator. What flew on Sunday may have been a production spec aircraft but it is still a testing only plane for productional development and there for a prototype.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh, but that was only a technology demonstrator. What flew on Sunday may have been a production spec aircraft but it is still a testing only plane for productional development and there for a prototype.

It is only officially a prototype if it has the designator YF-35, Y the letter used to designate a prototype. That is probably what the X-32 and the X-35 should have designated in the first place, just like the YF-22 and YF-23. But since they were so 'experimental' they designated them X planes :icon_roll , which caused a little grumbling among the purists in the test community. It was basically politics, shocking as it may sound.......;)

A thorough explanation of the current US aircraft designation system:

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/aircraft.html

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Back in the day there was a competition of the YF-16 and the YF-17. The Air Force took the smaller version, the F-16 and the Navy took the YF-17, later the F/A-18. Why no F/A-17? Maybe because it is too close to the Air Force's jet?

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
^^ Funny, but not really.

The Navy didn't "take" the YF-17. They took the F/A-18: McD had to extensively redesign everything on that aircraft to get the USN's thumbs up. The changes were enough to warrant a name change.

The 707 and KC-135 look the same, but they're definitely not

DirtyShirt

What flew on Sunday may have been a production spec aircraft but it is still a testing only plane for productional development and there for a prototype.

Exactly. The F-35 prototypes flew during the JSF competition. They are now flying the first production test model. Not an actual production model, but they are testing the final design. If that still makes it a prototype, whatever. I hate arguing semantics.

alert5

The F-35A that flew recently is called AA1, its a unique F-35 as it was build before the design underwent a revamp to shed weight for the F-35B. The nose gear door of AA1 is a single large piece but all future aircraft will have two smaller pieces so that the vertical tails can be reduced to save weight.

brandon n

Banned
f-35c will be in action in 2008.

Does anyone know when the F-35C will see its first action?
hello, i am brandon n, i can tell you the f-35c will be in action in 2008, when that happen, here can be more new planes in action as well, semper fi, captain brandon niquette of the earth fedration forces.:) :icon_smil

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
hello, i am brandon n, i can tell you the f-35c will be in action in 2008, when that happen, here can be more new planes in action as well, semper fi, captain brandon niquette of the earth fedration forces.:) :icon_smil

Tell us more, Captain. ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'll bet my entire retirement on that. :D

Brett

Jay

As long as you don't land your spacecraft in my backyard, we'll all be just fine.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

I weep for future generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.