• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F18 Emergency Landing at Miramar Air Show

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
P-3 guys at Whidbey. WTF. We know you're aiming for the gear because we hear you say you're aiming for the gear.

Is it ironic that I would get blamed/bitched at in my Prowler squadron when the P-3's knocked the gear out?

MasterBates

I got yelled at as a proxy for the HS/HSM guys in JAX when we were there for the FCLP det. There is some dude with HSM-70 that likes to BLABBLALAB non stop with ad-nauseum detail.

How about "Spartan 703, request takeoff to the south, spot 3"
vice
"Hey tower, Spartan 7xx, single MH-60R would like to take off from spot three over by the seawall, and air taxi to point x then depart to the south over the buckman, and terminate south of doctors inlet and we will be back in 3 hours, and my name is Gary and I like long walks on the beach and cheesey 80's music"..

It was the same dude almost every day.. And he was making it impossibel for me to get my
"661 Abeam, Gear, STOP" call in.

I don't remember such radio shenanigans at Mayport when I flew 60s. Maybe a blabfest on Hawklink, but never like that on the UHF.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I got yelled at as a proxy for the HS/HSM guys in JAX when we were there for the FCLP det. There is some dude with HSM-70 that likes to BLABBLALAB non stop with ad-nauseum detail.

How about "Spartan 703, request takeoff to the south, spot 3"
vice
"Hey tower, Spartan 7xx, single MH-60R would like to take off from spot three over by the seawall, and air taxi to point x then depart to the south over the buckman, and terminate south of doctors inlet and we will be back in 3 hours, and my name is Gary and I like long walks on the beach and cheesey 80's music"..

It was the same dude almost every day.. And he was making it impossibel for me to get my
"661 Abeam, Gear, STOP" call in.

I don't remember such radio shenanigans at Mayport when I flew 60s. Maybe a blabfest on Hawklink, but never like that on the UHF.

In that scenario, keying one's own radio at the same time as the offender will usually result in tower calling, "Say again, you were stepped on." After the second or maybe fifteenth time the blabber might clue in.

Not actually endorsing such a course of action, just sayin,' that's all, just sayin'...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

That may have been because you were an offender back then and didn't know it. There's plenty of chatty Cathys over here, as well.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That may have been because you were an offender back then and didn't know it. There's plenty of chatty Cathys over here, as well.

People are just different. Some tell their life fucking story on the radio. I am usually VERY concise, sometimes to a fault.

I've learned in the RAG that just saying "Landslide 17" isn't enough for ground to request to taxi. :D

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I heard an epic radio call while sitting in the cart a few weeks ago.

"Waldron Tower, Boomer/Ranger 7XX, uhhh...95 knots...left, yeah---no, left...three locked and down...180 touch and go?"

It made my day. I really wanted to wave him off just to hear the radio clusterfuck that would ensue, but that would have been too mean.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Negative Reconjoe, this was a type of simulation to show where the pilot had to "hook down" in a certain area to make a successful landing on an aircraft carrier.

?????????????:confused:

you're kidding right? I'm doubting the arresting gear at Miramar would be used in such a way at an airshow.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

you're kidding right? I'm doubting the arresting gear at Miramar would be used in such a way at an airshow.

I'm doubting that in today's risk managed Navy/USMC that anyone thinks taking a field trap for a demo is a good idea.

We ended up with a class B ripping the gear out at Fallon in 89 when the skipper told them not to dump to save the gas (cheap ass Swede :D ) so within weight at NUW but the combo of alt and gs ended up with the ripped out gear and a nice stripe up the vertical stab and a busted football.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
People are just different. Some tell their life fucking story on the radio. I am usually VERY concise, sometimes to a fault.

You're a non-skid-kid chopper dude, so this is statistically improbable (if not impossible).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm doubting that in today's risk managed Navy/USMC that anyone thinks taking a field trap for a demo is a good idea.

We ended up with a class B ripping the gear out at Fallon in 89 when the skipper told them not to dump to save the gas (cheap ass Swede :D ) so within weight at NUW but the combo of alt and gs ended up with the ripped out gear and a nice stripe up the vertical stab and a busted football.

That notwithstanding, we used to do practice field traps for crash crew proficiency in Iwakuni and we recently assisted TCM with testing/certifying their gear by doing multiple field arrestments. Not saying that it was/wasn't part of the show, but it's really not that big a deal if it was.

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
If I heard the story correctly from my friend, after the -18 trapped they grounded the rest of the demo... which definitely makes it seem like there was some kind of mechanical failure or issue with the hydraulics/brakes.

Brett, are mulitple field arrestments hard on the hook as its hitting a different surface than nonskid?

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot

He's not kidding, he just doesn't know what he's talking about (unless he cares to back it up w/ something, in which case I will grovel for forgiveness).
I wouldn't know what I was talking about either, so I won't offer my opinion.

He may also be bullshitting, which is exactly what Otto is doing. I mean, seriously compadre, do you realize how much you stick your chest out here, only to have your training bra snapped each and every time?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I heard the story correctly from my friend, after the -18 trapped they grounded the rest of the demo... which definitely makes it seem like there was some kind of mechanical failure or issue with the hydraulics/brakes.

Brett, are mulitple field arrestments hard on the hook as its hitting a different surface than nonskid?

Sounds like it was a legit trap. Hook isn't dragging much more than it would on a bolter, so not really. There are post-arrestment conditional inspections done as well as a 10 trap lube job where they inspect and grease the stinger.

Brett

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
He's not kidding, he just doesn't know what he's talking about (unless he cares to back it up w/ something, in which case I will grovel for forgiveness).
I wouldn't know what I was talking about either, so I won't offer my opinion.

He may also be bullshitting, which is exactly what Otto is doing. I mean, seriously compadre, do you realize how much you stick your chest out here, only to have your training bra snapped each and every time?

What did I do this time? 90% of the time I'm being sarcastic and/or self-deprecating, so I don't see how I am sticking my chest out, searching for the holy-grail of "rep" on the internets....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are post-arrestment conditional inspections done as well as a 10 trap lube job where they inspect and grease the stinger.

Brett

I'll say that I learned not to touch the hook when preflighting a post-CQ jet the hard way