• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F18 Emergency Landing at Miramar Air Show

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
What did I do this time? 90% of the time I'm being sarcastic and/or self-deprecating, so I don't see how I am sticking my chest out, searching for the holy-grail of "rep" on the internets....

Just bustin' chops, brother.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If I heard the story correctly from my friend, after the -18 trapped they grounded the rest of the demo... which definitely makes it seem like there was some kind of mechanical failure or issue with the hydraulics/brakes.
Well, since the demo was over, the hornets went around on their first pass and everyone else had already landed, I guess the rest of the demo was "grounded"... Beyond that your friend is doesn't know what he's talking about.

As Brett said, it was a legit trap, unsafe gear indications.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Well, since the demo was over, the hornets went around on their first pass and everyone else had already landed, I guess the rest of the demo was "grounded"... Beyond that your friend is doesn't know what he's talking about.

As Brett said, it was a legit trap, unsafe gear indications.

Rgr that, makes sense.

Brett, thanks for the info... I didn't know they did an inspection after 10 traps.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
That notwithstanding, we used to do practice field traps for crash crew proficiency in Iwakuni and we recently assisted TCM with testing/certifying their gear by doing multiple field arrestments. Not saying that it was/wasn't part of the show, but it's really not that big a deal if it was.

Brett

I also did 50 field traps in two days at Lakehurst to test a new hook point. Different than an airshow or training the crash crews. Like you say.

We also speared the pendent and snapped the wire at Lakehurst and just laid a greasy stripe on a drop.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
meh. When I did the MAGTF demo at the Iwakuni airshow this year, the last Hornet to land did a field trap just to demonstrate. It happens.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I sat at the hold short this evening around 1830 watching what I think was a -46 bird go around and around in the pattern. On three occasions the dude on the radio called for a full stop and three occasions the airplane did not stop. From the outside observer (and from someone who has spent a considerable amount of time watching airplanes land) it appeared that the dude driving the bus couldn't make it happen. First one, super high and lined up over the hold short. Second one was just as high with a huge push over at the numbers that was followed by a wave off and the third one he just kept pushing and pulling the nose all the way down the runway, never actually touching down. I've been on the platform at night and seen guys go 'round and 'round but we're talking about an 8,000 foot piece of concrete with lights and lots of markings on it - and it was LIGHT out. My question is - is that normal? How does a guy get past the FRS if he cant land his airplane?

Peace, I'm out.

Well, as the crappiest pilot at -46 I can tell you it wasn't out of lack of talent...I wasn't flying and noone else here sucks like that. My guess is someone was flying 2-engine and possibly learning to do it from the right seat...not all of us get to eject just because we lose 2 engines, some of us actually have to save our bird...:D

Now where is that A-gear?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Well, as the crappiest pilot at -46 I can tell you it wasn't out of lack of talent...I wasn't flying and noone else here sucks like that. My guess is someone was flying 2-engine and possibly learning to do it from the right seat...not all of us get to eject just because we lose 2 engines, some of us actually have to save our bird...:D

Now where is that A-gear?

Would you be flying 'engine out' approaches from the tower pattern - I'm not judging, but I'm thinking that's a better idea when done from a straight in?

If you're ever interested, let me know, and i'll send you a PM about saving MY "bird" when both engines did in fact quit....

MasterBates

Same deal with the E-2.. We practice single engine/0 flap/10 flap all the time from the pattern to speed things up, but real world we'd take the straight in to the gear.