• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Falling Leaf HUD footage

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
According to the description, this falling leaf maneuver was entered into inadvertently. Whether that's true or not...he sounds pretty upset about the whole ordeal.

Sorry if this is a repost, did a search and couldn't find anything.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
That must have been a wild time. Quick question for those that know. Why would you bring power to idle in a falling leaf? I know this is probably the best idea, but wouldn't it help break the stall? I suppose it probably has to do with the pitch up tendency that power can have.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I think those steps are generally boldface...they are also in the T-34C Natops.

Not correcting you UI...just throwing some extra info out there.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
UInavy said:
Its BOLDFACE. That's the title for procedures that you're expected to remember and execute perfectly from memory. The test fellas tell us what fixes the problem. We implement those procedures in the emergency to fix the problem. Nothing to do with pitch up tendancy.

UI, man, you sound like Nicky the NATOPS officer.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stick forward, neutral harness, lock your lateral...oops...

Stick forward, neutral lateral, lock your harness....

A word here or there out of place in Boldface can mean all the difference.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That must have been a wild time. Quick question for those that know. Why would you bring power to idle in a falling leaf? ....
Now, I don't know how to fly the F-18 .... but think about it ... why would you keep the power up when you're heading for the ground and out of control .... ???? To tighten the out of control gyrations ... making it harder to come out of it??? :eek: To hit the ground while still out of control ... quicker??? :eek:

He went from @17,000' to @9,000' in about a minute ... I'm surprised someone hasn't said ... "why didn't he punch @ 10,000' if he was out of control ??? It was probably a near thing ....

I'm sure he had to change his flight suit after that ride. I would have ... in fact, I have ... :)

FLY_USMC

pilot
Probably didn't punch out the same reason guys that get fire lights with secondaries don't punch out, causing ejecting's for quitters, plus it takes more balls to pull the handle than ride it a little further<----sarcasm of course....or maybe not.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
So walk me through this. Did the pilot stall the aircraft & then proceed to assault the limiters causing him to end up in the situation in the video?

MasterBates

Ok, what is a "Falling Leaf", and how does it work?

HELL NO I am not wanting to do one in the T-34. Just out of curiosity.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Probably didn't punch out the same reason guys that get fire lights with secondaries don't punch out, causing ejecting's for quitters, plus it takes more balls to pull the handle than ride it a little further<----sarcasm of course....or maybe not.

Better to die than look bad....

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Thats one way to descend 15,000

Amazing how many times in a dogfight you can depart controlled flight and, if you're smart enough not to call knock it off, you can wind up in a position to shoot your buddy since he was probably arcing around watching you try to recover.

A kill's a kill, and buddy is only half a word - Naval Aviation Truism's

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Ok, what is a "Falling Leaf", and how does it work?

HELL NO I am not wanting to do one in the T-34. Just out of curiosity.

the little description at the right of that video gives a pretty good explanation of a falling leaf manuvere.

Its actually the first "quasi-aerobatic" manuvere I ever did when first learning Aero, Even before full spin recovery....granted, it was in a Citabria and NOT a hornet.