• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Falling Leaf HUD footage

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^^^ Thanks for the info for us, the great unwashed.:)

I understand, but this is the oddest sentence to get used to...:D

The electric jet knows all. Hal is flying.

The Rhino is even more departure resistant than the legacy Hornet.

Lawman

None
So heres a question.

With some of the photos taken of aircraft currently operating in the Sandbox they seem to have a lot of asymetrical loads being a common place thing. How does that effect recovery checklists or overall recoverability its self?

MasterBates

The electric jet knows all. Hal is flying.

The Rhino is even more departure resistant than the legacy Hornet.

That, in all honesty would spook me (maybe having an ejection seat would help a bit)

The 60's have a Computer, but you can override and fly without it..

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That, in all honesty would spook me (maybe having an ejection seat would help a bit)

The 60's have a Computer, but you can override and fly without it..

I thought your computers were run on reel to reel tapes.......

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Watch the control surfaces on any type of Hornet while its in the groove. The frequency and amount of control deflections being made by the FCS are amazing. The stick still produces the desired output (houses get bigger/smaller), the FCS just firgures out the most efficient way for that to happen. While overriding the computer is possible, its not recommended. Nothing to do with an ejection seat, thats just the way the system works. It can fix a spin quicker than anti-spin inputs can do it. That way, you're further from the deck and pants don't get quite as stained.

Is there a visual display which tells you what input to make as far as stick for OCF recovery?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
controls release/feet off rudders/speedbreak in
still out of control:
throttles - idle
altitude, AOA, airspeed, yaw rate - check
when recovery is indicated by AOA & yaw rate tones removed, side forces subsided, airspeed accelerating above 180 knots - recover
passing 6000 feet AGL dive recovery not initiated - eject

changed in november to mimic the rhino bretheren and makes use of the spin rec switch a thing of the past with the new software

still out of control:
throttles - idle
if command arrow present - lat stick full with arrow
when command arrow removed - lat stick smoothly neutral

when recovery is indicated by AOA & yaw rate tones removed, side forces subsided, airspeed accelerating above 180 knots - recover

fuselage fuel leak not boldface now either. other minor changes...

it's a CRAZY new world we live in gents :)

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
So heres a question.

With some of the photos taken of aircraft currently operating in the Sandbox they seem to have a lot of asymetrical loads being a common place thing. How does that effect recovery checklists or overall recoverability its self?

Large asymmetries may delay recovery. They will help in getting into that situation though. Why you would be slow and high alpha + yanking the stick like an asshole with large asymmetries is beyond me.

NEED to go the merge and kill the guy? Cleaning up the wings would be somewhere on my priority list so it doesn't become a factor. I'll just try not to be a jerkoff on the stick either way.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
changed in november to mimic the rhino bretheren and makes use of the spin rec switch a thing of the past with the new software

still out of control:
throttles - idle
if command arrow present - lat stick full with arrow
when command arrow removed - lat stick smoothly neutral

fuselage fuel leak not boldface now either. other minor changes...

it's a CRAZY new world we live in gents :)
interesting ... thanks for the heads up.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
UInavy said:
Yep. In a fully developed spin, all the displays will display a 'command arrow' indicating which way to fully deflect the stick, as it may not be obvious in a strange situation (such as the falling leaf.)

maybe this is a dumb question, but considering the computer can (from how it sounds) pretty much do what it wants, why even include pilot inputs into the recovery? (i.e why doesn't the jet just deflect the stick for you?)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
maybe this is a dumb question, but considering the computer can (from how it sounds) pretty much do what it wants, why even include pilot inputs into the recovery? (i.e why doesn't the jet just deflect the stick for you?)

Who says it doesn't :D:eek:

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I would guess that there is limited authority built in for the automatic flight control system for the computer to fly the a/c, especially for large inputs into the flight controls.

Although hopefully our hornet friends can provide input here....

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
OCF procedures for the "classic" hornet, such as the one in the video ...

still out of control:
throttles - idle

Someone needs to fire their natops officer... those procedures have changed for the Charlie and are now wrong! :icon_tong

Edit: Squid beat me to it.

MasterBates

Does HAL have 100% control authority in the Legacy Hornet?

The 60's AFCS has 10% authority on "SAS" which is a hi-speed, Hi Gain stabilty augmentator...

100% (at a slow rate) authority via the Autopilot and Trim Servos, but it is "fly through" and if it craps out you are still flying, just becomes a bit of a handful..

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the C-2A, the AFCS hardly ever works. There's a reason we're prohibited from approaches to stalls with stab aug engaged (would cause opposite spin-recovery inputs); also prohibited from over 60 AOB, prohibited from inverted flight... prohibited this... prohibited that... prohibited.

But hey, at least we have to fly the ball ourselves. /quasi-threadjack out.