• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
You Sir might be coming down from a bad trip and read a bad Popular Science magazine while up there. A B1, has zero A/A capability and although not currently a fighter guy, I think it is a poor idea to have a "missile truck" for A/A. "Missile trucks" for A/G, well, that is what the B-52 is. But hell, you never know what DARPA is coming up with next.

The did talk about it. I believe they called it the B-1R. That's when I really started to laugh.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
A B-1R has been proposed by Boeing.

The B-1R is a proposed replacement for the B-1B fleet. Boeing's director of global strike integration, Rich Parke, was first quoted about the "B-1R" bomber in Air Force Magazine. Parke said the B-1R (R stands for "regional") would be a Lancer with advanced radars, air-to-air missiles, and Pratt & Whitney F119 engines (originally developed for the F-22 Raptor). Its new top speed of Mach 2.2 would be purchased at the price of a 20% reduction of the B-1B's combat range. This proposal would involve modifying existing aircraft. The FB-22 and YF-23-based design are alternative proposals.

Boeing's proposal appears to modify the B-1B into a design able to serve these two purposes. For the bomb-truck role Boeing proposes the modification of existing external hardpoints to allow them to carry multiple conventional warheads, dramatically improving overall warload. For the air-to-air role, both defensive and offensive, they propose to add active electronically-scanned array radar and allow some of the hardpoints to carry anti-aircraft missiles. Even with its somewhat reduced range as compared to the original B-1B, its fuel capacity remains quite large. This would allow it to escape from unfavorable air-to-air encounters by simply running away; there are few enough aircraft capable of Mach 2+ performance in general, and those that are deployed can maintain these speeds for only very short periods of time.

In general terms the B-1R most closely resembles the original F-111 concept, as opposed to a pure bomber role. However it would be able to carry out these missions at ranges even greater than the F-111.

Here's an article on the subject: Long-Range Strike in a Hurry

BENDER

pilot
yeah, I know the B1 has no AA capabilities, but what I saw was on the Military Channel. I think we might be talking about something different, sorry I got confused... they had a hypothetical situation and a B1 missile truck, thought It would be a good idea, at least it seems that way intuitively.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Here's Boeing's idea of what the B-1R would look like:
B1R.jpg

Offering Unique Solutions for Global Strike Force

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I seem to remember an instructor in P'cola talking excitedly about how the B1 was getting a B-scope for their radar. That would be the first step in a missile truck.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Actually I think it's a pretty interesting idea. It's got the speed, payload, capabilities.
You just want an easy gun kill.:D 192,000# EMPTY weight fighter??????? Poor cockpit visibility. If it goes into the merge, do you think it has a chance? BVR is it going to be better than something that can fight in a knife fight? Sounds like an idea that someone who got stuck in the UAV community with a cold-war mindset came up with to get back into the cockpit.