• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

Zego

First Lieutenant
Pffsh looks like an F-22 clone. And I'm willing to bet Russia isn't going to be able to afford to build a lot of those.
Probably not, I was kind of looking forward to something about the Mitsubishi ADT-X. I guess there isn't enough data on it yet.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Regarding the B-1R, hasn't Dale Brown mentioned something about using a B-1 as an A-A platform in some of his novels? I don't really recall as they were pretty "out there," but I'm thinking he did.

NYCJetCharter

I saw the second half of this one. Interesting stuff but enough dodgy stuff to make me wonder about some of it. For example, they showed F-35s carrying HARMs externally with apparently no effect on their RCS. They also showed SAMs being guided against F-22s using low-frequency radar - I thought that, even if LF radar can detect a stealthy aircraft, it wouldn't be precise enough to guide a SAM.

A fun watch, but I'm not sure how rigorous it was.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
I was actually surprised that so much of the article was accurate though. Obviously not 100% though....

In any case, doesnt everyone know that the age of dogfighting is all over? From now on it will all be BVR missile launches. No dogfights. No siree....

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I remember a few threads about this. The show is nearly completely AF propoganda.

Renegade One

None
Just saw an advertisement on the History Channel for a two hour special on dogfights of the future... From the 30 sec spot it looks like they are going to be talking about invisible planes, hypersonic fighters, and most impotantly they will finally comfirm the directed energy weapon on the front of the prowler... 10 May at 8/7c

I'm geekin' out!

Man, just watch the new "Battlestar Gallactica"...shows it all. "Starbuck" can fly on my wing anytime... Interesting, again, that like "Star Trek", the BSG formula is to align along mostly Navy lines, doctrine, etc. With a few Colonels and Majors thrown in for good measure.

V/R, Spike

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Capt. Spike,

Please tell us that you're not talking about this Starbuck??
Dirk%20Benedict%20Galactica%20Starbuck.jpg

j/k....I saw that you said "new" battlestar.