• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Female F-22 Pilot

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
3653901_std.jpg

Exactly what went through my head +1 for being quicker on the trigger

/openthreadjack
Fastmuber15 tell me that avatar is not a real person cause if I ever saw that guy I would be sure to don my flak and kevlar before going anywhere near him - just in case he pops and shrapnel goes everywhere.
/closethreadjack

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
When you hear that a person is the first one of "their kind" to do something, but in reality is the 2nd, or 10th, or 1000th person to do it, it makes you think its about time their kind catches up. Theres really no need for it. Saying a woman did something is just patronizing them. If they earn it, or do it, or achieve it first, they should get the prize headline. Not if they're the first woman, or man, or hispanic, or muslim...

Redux

There is nothing like trying to pour a dead man's ashes out of a C-152 and having the wind blow it back in. :eek:

Actually a common trick pulled on unsuspecting pax and rookie 2 P's. "Moment of silence" requested over loudspeaker and hose shoved into sextant mount and ashes from ash trays in cigar box, Goodbye, fair winds and following seas retired chief Propwash. See you in the afterlife. :D

Some of the unsuspecting would break out in prayer others could care less.

smulet

When you hear that a person is the first one of "their kind" to do something, but in reality is the 2nd, or 10th, or 1000th person to do it, it makes you think its about time their kind catches up. Theres really no need for it. Saying a woman did something is just patronizing them. If they earn it, or do it, or achieve it first, they should get the prize headline. Not if they're the first woman, or man, or hispanic, or muslim...

Yeah, it would keep us from having to remember names like Sally Ride and Amelia Earhart.

From a woman's perspective, I find it highly motivating to hear of a woman succeeding in a male dominated field. Good for her!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having been a Plane Captain in a hook squadron and then getting crew qual'd in P-3's I've come to know the basics of "dumping fuel" and having to dump the "honey pot." I for one would like to know how the hell she, women do it? Not trying to be unprofessional at all but seriously? Like Shnugg mentioned, the pilots G-suit looks like something from the Right Stuff, like the U-2 guys used to wear in the 50's and 60's. Grandma must be proud.

Women had an attachment to use in the Prowler with the piss tube. Most of the gals in my squadron didn't like using it but they had to in certain circumstances. The funniest was when our gals was flying in the front our XO and she had to go. He was really old fashioned and when she mentioned that she had to go you could hear him cringe. They rigged up a 'screen' with a chart so he wouldn't inadvertently see anything. She really teased him about it the whole time and periodically afterwards at the O Club.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, it would keep us from having to remember names like Sally Ride and Amelia Earhart

Good. It would make room for Allan Shepard and Charles Lindbergh. Who, other than Christa McAuliffe, died in the Challenger? Don't know? Neither do I, because the media doesn't care about the others.

Women had an attachment to use in the Prowler with the piss tube. Most of the gals in my squadron didn't like using it but they had to in certain circumstances. The funniest was when our gals was flying in the front our XO and she had to go. He was really old fashioned and when she mentioned that she had to go you could hear him cringe. They rigged up a 'screen' with a chart so he wouldn't inadvertently see anything. She really teased him about it the whole time and periodically afterwards at the O Club.

As an exhibitionist, I really don't get those people. Yes, everybody pees. Seen it all. Nothing special.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a woman I think it's cool hearing about these kind of things, though I agree it will be an awesome day when it needs no mentioning any more. Unfortunately as a society I think we're still at a point where a female aviator is a novelty. This is something only time will correct.

The only thing that pisses me off (and I always write a letter to whatever news agency publishes them indicating my ire) are stories detailing the deaths of women, in the military, police departments, etc., as deaths of a "female" soldier or a "female" police officer. Why not just say a soldier died? If you release the name or details of the story, the reader will get that it was a female who died. It diminishes the contributions of that particular woman in her field, not to mention all those men who died in similar situations, to highlight her gender and not what she did.

HuggyU2

None
For whatever reason, their G-suits plug in on the right. Therefore, they had to have a G-suit unique to the F-22 made up.

I've worn that Navy harness you guys wear on the Navy/Marine jet rides I've had: why you guys your pilot/NFO union needs to dump that thing and get the USAF-style harness. Just ask the guys that fly the Navy F-16.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Who, other than Christa McAuliffe, died in the Challenger? Don't know? Neither do I, because the media doesn't care about the others.....
I care.

Mike Smith ... amongst the others.

Mike ... a squadron mate, a hard-core, goin' "downtown" attack pilot, a consummate "thinker", a professional, a friend, a gentleman always, and a Brother-in-Arms ...

Mike reportedly wanted to "go" no later than the 26th of January 1986 after several delays and closely studied the WX patterns that were forecast. His experience of many years in the air obviously played a part in his concerns w/ any further delays.

After the scrubbed launch of the 26th which ultimately rolled the launch of that fateful 28th of January, Mike
is quoted as saying:

"
You know, you've got people down here making decisions who've never even flown an airplane before."

Truer words were never spoken ...

/threadjack

Huggy Bear

pilot
For whatever reason, their G-suits plug in on the right. Therefore, they had to have a G-suit unique to the F-22 made up.

I've worn that Navy harness you guys wear on the Navy/Marine jet rides I've had: why you guys your pilot/NFO union needs to dump that thing and get the USAF-style harness. Just ask the guys that fly the Navy F-16.

Huggy,
When my mom used to teach in Yuba City she had a female U2 pilot that would always come out and speak to the class. Being kids (or members of airwarriors), the question of peeing in the plane always came up. She actually showed them a diaper developed for females. Supposedly it was a godawful expensive piece of gear - as in hundreds of dollars. Can you confirm or deny.

Huggy