• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, it's true. There is a mid cabin horn that goes off (though it's not that loud, even on deck with only the APU going it's not obnoxious when you test it on preflight) and lights on the individual racks, but there is no RACK OVHT light like in the P-3.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I take back my previous post then. I didn't think something so expensive could have such a massively retarded design flaw.

kunks

None
Nope as CM said it's several small lights and a warning horn in the middle of the tube with no indication in the flight station. It's hard to hear in flight, even when you're sitting right next to it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

You're missing my point. Do you really need someone with a college degree, lots of training time in flight school, and various useful community quals to just be a fire watch? Call it what it is: a good deal hop for a 'FO.

I just find it amusing that other, much older airframes have lots of boxes in the back with no fire "alarms" and manage to make it to and from base without someone in the back and without spontaneously combusting. I get it, it's more institutional inertia, something that I despise, but it's still kind of amusing...in a silly sort of way.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You're missing my point. Do you really need someone with a college degree, lots of training time in flight school, and various useful community quals to just be a fire watch? Call it what it is: a good deal hop for a 'FO.
I think a good deal for a NFO is exactly what it was. The Aft Observer was always a junior aircrewman in my day and I don't think it has changed.

kunks

None
HAL is correct the observer in the P3 is still "usually" a junior crewman. In the past 2 years in 16 a FO never flew as an observer unless they went along to fly or wanted to and even then there was probably another qualified observer on the flight. Somebody had to take out the piss bucket!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I just find it amusing that other, much older airframes have lots of boxes in the back with no fire "alarms" and manage to make it to and from base without someone in the back and without spontaneously combusting. I get it, it's more institutional inertia, something that I despise, but it's still kind of amusing...in a silly sort of way.
Disagree, not inertia. We got rid of other positions with the transition to a new aircraft, but observer duties, and being part of the min crew matrix serves a needed function. I have more than my share of fire/smoke/fumes from components on the aircraft, both on tactical and pilot training flights. Observer is needed to fight the fire/fumes, while the flight station is putting the plane somewhere safe. Too much real estate, components, circuit breakers to cover that we don't have access to if it was just 2 pilots and an FE, that is why we have min crew. That is another set of eyes in the back of the plane (when not reading a book/sleeping/listening to their ipod) that one of those other fire warning systems might not get to.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

In this case, it was probably someone who otherwise would have been on the trip as PAX stepping in to do something so one more person didn't have to go along.

How many of those older airframes you mention have 100 feet of electronics racks/pumps/fans/etc behind the flight station? not many? how many have you flown? none?

oh ok so you're talking out of your ass. check.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I have more than my share of fire/smoke/fumes from components on the aircraft, both on tactical and pilot training flights.

I don't think a day has gone by in the last two weeks that the 'red phone' in my office doesn't ring with a P-3 coming back with (in order that it happens)
1) Single engine. I don't know why, but it seems that #4 craps out the most
2) Smoke in the cockpit. (One aircraft had it three days in a row)
3) Landing gear malfunctions. (two this week)

So, I guess you guys don't really need to simulate EP's in the aircraft.... they just happen!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So, I guess you guys don't really need to simulate EP's in the aircraft.... they just happen!
i don't think the majority of P3 IPs do engine start malfunctions in the plane anymore since it is a good bet that you will encounter something when you start your motors. I am flying tomorrow, I will try and not call tower and have ur red phone ring!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Disagree, not inertia. We got rid of other positions with the transition to a new aircraft, but observer duties, and being part of the min crew matrix serves a needed function. I have more than my share of fire/smoke/fumes from components on the aircraft, both on tactical and pilot training flights. Observer is needed to fight the fire/fumes, while the flight station is putting the plane somewhere safe. Too much real estate, components, circuit breakers to cover that we don't have access to if it was just 2 pilots and an FE, that is why we have min crew. That is another set of eyes in the back of the plane (when not reading a book/sleeping/listening to their ipod) that one of those other fire warning systems might not get to.

In this case, it was probably someone who otherwise would have been on the trip as PAX stepping in to do something so one more person didn't have to go along.

How many of those older airframes you mention have 100 feet of electronics racks/pumps/fans/etc behind the flight station? not many? how many have you flown? none?

Guys, we're not talking about the P-3, we're talking about the P-8, which is what CM was discussing her trip was in. Several posts after mine specifically mention that it's usually someone junior who does the job. My original question, as well as schoolbubba's, was why was there a need for a 3rd set of wings to be there. It looks like the answer was, "there wasn't one, but he was doing the job that's usually done by someone more junior." I'd say that's a good deal. That's not a bad thing.

oh ok so you're talking out of your ass. check.

Lighten up Francis. How many times does the E-6 catch on fire? I'm genuinely curious. And it's a hell of a lot older than a P-8 (again, we're talking about the P-8, and not the P-3).