• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FLYBOYS film

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Flags of our Fathers is one of the greatest books I have ever read. Having read Flyboys too I must say Bradley does some great work.

call me stupid...I just saw flyboys..and it didn't seem that bad at all. Jus a thought though that has sparked my curious mind. Did they have fuel injection back then?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
call me stupid...I just saw flyboys..and it didn't seem that bad at all. Jus a thought though that has sparked my curious mind. Did they have fuel injection back then?

Are you kidding? They didn't have throttles!! The actual flying planes in the movie were, of course, replicas. They have modern radial engines. The actual Neuports, and most aircraft of the era, had rotary engines. The whole motor rotated with the prop. They also had no modern carburation. The engine was either on, full power, or off. That is why you hear period aircraft coming into land sounding like the engine is cutting out. Power was controlled by an ignition cut off. The procedure, called blipping, was to push a button on the stick to cut off the ignition and temporarily stop the motor (it continued to windmill). Releasing the button cause the motor to restart. In at least one scene in the movie they dubbed over the actual sound of a period aircraft landing. The planes used in the movie out have sounded like any other modern aircraft.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Those rotating engines must have been *****es for torque, especially in such light aircraft.

MasterBates

And the castor oil used for lubrication (they were lubed like 2-stroke wheedwhackers) gave the pilots a constant case of diahreaa.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
And the castor oil used for lubrication (they were lubed like 2-stroke wheedwhackers) gave the pilots a constant case of diahreaa.

bfg0024.jpg

"OOOOO THAAAAAATS JUSSSST NAAAAAAAASTY"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Air & Space Museum in DC currently has an exhibit (at least as of this last summer) of the birth of powered airplanes. They have a bunch of French, British, and I think American engines that show the progression. Talk about pre-historic. A one or two-cylinder engine that weighs 200+ pounds and puts out 20-some HP. Pretty interesting to see.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
The Air & Space Museum in DC currently has an exhibit (at least as of this last summer) of the birth of powered airplanes. They have a bunch of French, British, and I think American engines that show the progression. Talk about pre-historic. A one or two-cylinder engine that weighs 200+ pounds and puts out 20-some HP. Pretty interesting to see.

This is one of the few times I'm going to give props to the AF, but I've got to. The National AF Museum at Wright-Pat in Dayton has an excellent collection of WWI aircraft. Last time I was there I wasn't all that interested, but I'd love to go back now and look again. A whole hangar is devoted to this period, they've even got a bomber or two like you see in Flyboys. Fantastic place to spend a day (or more) if you're ever in the area.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
This is one of the few times I'm going to give props to the AF, but I've got to. The National AF Museum at Wright-Pat in Dayton has an excellent collection of WWI aircraft. Last time I was there I wasn't all that interested, but I'd love to go back now and look again. A whole hangar is devoted to this period, they've even got a bomber or two like you see in Flyboys. Fantastic place to spend a day (or more) if you're ever in the area.

I'll second that. Used to live a couple of miles from it. Has an awesome collection.