• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Iowa wins 7-3 over FCS South Dakota State without scoring a TD. Both teams combined for 21 punts and only 286 yards of offense.

Meanwhile, App State scores 40 points in the 4th quarter . . . and still loses.

Allegedly these two games were both the same sport. In Iowa's case, I'm skeptical.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Good article on ESPN on the College Football Playoff expansion. Biggest takeaway is that with 6 at large bids, Notre Dame is likely to remain an independent.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Derbyshire County Cricket League?

I honestly had no idea what you were talking about and that was one of the top returns in Google.

P.S. My favorite Dallas cheerleader is still Bambi Woods.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
On a quick detour to the NFL, this is the 50th anniversary of the unbeaten 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only perfect season in NFL history.

With Coach Don Shula, Miami paired the No-Name Defense led by middle linebacker Nick Buonicotti with the greatest running attack in NFL history featuring two 1,000 yard rushers in halfback Mercury Morris and fullback Larry Csonka, the Dolphins overcame the injury of QB Bob Griese and literally steamrolled every opponent with a relentless, mistake-proof ground game. The forward pass is so over-rated…

Man this takes me back. My dad grew up in the 60-70s and had all those old NFL Highlight/NFL Films videos and I'm not sure if he forced me and my siblings watch all of them or if we did it voluntarily. He was particularly fond of the Dallas Cowboys with Roger Staubach and Tom Landry (the Man in the Funny Hat).

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Man this takes me back. My dad grew up in the 60-70s and had all those old NFL Highlight/NFL Films videos and I'm not sure if he forced me and my siblings watch all of them or if we did it voluntarily. He was particularly fond of the Dallas Cowboys with Roger Staubach and Tom Landry (the Man in the Funny Hat).
Roger the Dodger was a great QB from the Naval Academy and Laundry was a legendary coach.

Also, during WW2, Laundry completed his 30 missions as a B-17 pilot. When Laundry was fired after 29 seasons with the Cowboys and replaced by Jimmie Johnson, it really was a (sad) changing of the guard.

1662554049191.jpeg

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Roger the Dodger was a great QB from the Naval Academy and Laundry was a legendary coach.

Also, during WW2, Laundry completed his 30 missions as a B-17 pilot. When Laundry was fired after 29 seasons with the Cowboys and replaced by Jimmie Johnson, it really was a (sad) changing of the guard.
and a fellow SUPPO.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A win is a win, and Alabama won, but Texas put on a heck of a show with an injured second string quarterback. The A&M loss to App State was a shocker as well.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
HUGE day for the Sunbelt Conference.

Appalachian State beating Texas A&M is an upset, but not as much a shocker as many might think. They beat a Top-10 Michigan in The Big House, took a Top-10 Penn State to OT in Happy Valley and lost again in OT to a Top-10 Tennessee at Neyland Stadium.

Add in Marshall beating Notre Dame (it is glorious to already have perpetually over-rated Notre Dame knocked out of the Playoffs) and Georgia Southern knocking off Nebraska (looks like the end for Coach Scott Frost), a fantastic day for this conference.

On a sad note, I saw this article about how college stadiums are starting to reduce capacity for more luxury boxes. Doak Campbell is discussing taking out 10,000 seats.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor