• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Football season cometh.

Which conference will have the National Champion?

• Total voters

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This isn’t the end of good college football…but you can see it from here. Within five years Big Ten and the SEC will have enough brand power to form their own playoffs and dump the old bowls like Sugar, Orange, and Rose. New money will ensure those old, glorious rivalry games will be bought out to something shiny and expensive. The SEC is already talking about it and why When the Sooners and Texas officially join in 2025, the SEC could hypothetically have an eight-team playoff with the likes of the Sooners, Longhorns, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee and Florida…the eight most popular brands in all of football. It isn’t hard to imagine what networks would be willing to pay for streaming rights and that money, combined with the eventual “pay for play” for college players will, gradually erode the ability for smaller schools to get talent in their programs as everyone with skill will rush to the new semi-pro league.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
College football has died as we knew it multiple times. When football stopped being quasi-soccer, when they introduced the forward pass, when the NCAA was formed, when the service academies stopped dominating, when the NCAA regulated TV contracts, when the NCAA stopped being able to regulate TV contracts and the conferences took over, when the historic independents all started joining conferences, etc. etc. etc.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
College football has died as we knew it multiple times. When football stopped being quasi-soccer, when they introduced the forward pass, when the NCAA was formed, when the service academies stopped dominating, when the NCAA regulated TV contracts, when the NCAA stopped being able to regulate TV contracts and the conferences took over, when the historic independents all started joining conferences, etc. etc. etc.
Agree to disagree…this is different. This is the end of regional rivalries that have survived since the days of leather helmets.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
21 days, or 504 hours, and counting until the first big week of college football.

Going to be a special year as we fly home to the Palmetto State for vacation during fall break - and get to take my 6 year old daughter to her first game at Williams-Brice.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
On a quick detour to the NFL, this is the 50th anniversary of the unbeaten 1972 Miami Dolphins, the only perfect season in NFL history.

With Coach Don Shula, Miami paired the No-Name Defense led by middle linebacker Nick Buonicotti with the greatest running attack in NFL history featuring two 1,000 yard rushers in halfback Mercury Morris and fullback Larry Csonka, the Dolphins overcame the injury of QB Bob Griese and literally steamrolled every opponent with a relentless, mistake-proof ground game. The forward pass is so over-rated…

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
21 days, or 504 hours, and counting until the first big week of college football.

Going to be a special year as we fly home to the Palmetto State for vacation during fall break - and get to take my 6 year old daughter to her first game at Williams-Brice.

Fuck 2020 for ruining my plans to finally experience the Whiteout. I’m too old for it to have been a thing when I was in undergrad. Maybe 2023.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The BIG-10 just signed a deal with a number of media outlets to include CBS - which started to advertise the BIG-10 using the music now associated with the SEC. Hearing that theme and rushing to the TV expecting to see Florida-LSU or ‘Bama-Georgia only to realize it is Iowa-Rutgers…. Is nothing sacred???

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hearing that theme and rushing to the TV expecting to see Florida-LSU or ‘Bama-Georgia only to realize it is Iowa-Rutgers…. Is nothing sacred???
You will get a puntfest, and you will LIKE getting a puntfest!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
You will get a puntfest, and you will LIKE getting a puntfest!
No, I won’t.

Question for you: one of the items on my bucket list (which also includes touring every US battleship as well as seeing HMS Victory) is to go to a game at every SEC stadium. Would like to also visit a few games at other conferences (have been to both Death Valley in Clemson and Doak Campbell in Tallahassee). Which 3 stadiums would you suggest for the BIG-10 ?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I won’t.

Question for you: one of the items on my bucket list (which also includes touring every US battleship as well as seeing HMS Victory) is to go to a game at every SEC stadium. Would like to also visit a few games at other conferences (have been to both Death Valley in Clemson and Doak Campbell in Tallahassee). Which 3 stadiums would you suggest for the BIG-10 ?
Whiteout in Happy Valley and The Game in both the Shoe and the Big House, easy.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Whiteout in Happy Valley and The Game in both the Shoe and the Big House, easy.
If anyone wants photos of their stadiums, Fine Art America has a nice selection. www.fineartamerica.com

I just ordered a photo of Williams Brice for my office. Lot of excitement this year with Shane Beamer starting his 2nd year - just had two 4-star defensive linemen sign in the last 72 hours.

1661129208823.jpeg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The college football playoff is going to 12 teams in 2026 (maybe sooner)

Meanwhile, tomorrow is the first big weekend of college ‘ball. “South On Ya!”

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I hear the Super Bowl is Sunday, more importantly it is 206 days until Week 1 of college football season and the march to the national championship (aka, the SEC championship game.).

Week 1 brings us the defending national champion Georgia Bulldogs vs the Oregon Ducks: a preview can be seen below.

Without Treetop here at the moment, your friendly SEC reminder: South On Ya.

Credit to Notre Dame for staying closer to Ohio State than most people thought.

Meanwhile:
Florida 29, Utah 26
Arkansas 31, Cincinnati 24

and as I surmised
Georgia 49, Oregon 3