• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FREE ASTB Simulator Program (For the Performance Based Measures section)

Herlin Kankienza

Hello Everyone!

A buddy of mine and I realized there was no real way to train for the "throttle and stick" portion of the ASTB, so we decided to change that.

I'm a computer science major at USNA and I felt like I should use what I know for something useful, so I made a trainer anyone can use, no downloads required.

The trainer includes:
  • Throttle and Stick training - an almost exact, if not better, replica of that portion of the ASTB. This is done using the keyboard and mouse, so it's not a direct simulation, but your muscle memory and hand eye coordination from the training will improve and reflect on the test. We are working to support joysticks in a later version.
  • Audio cue training - learn how to react to specific sound cues in each ear, much like during the test.
  • Dynamic settings - change the speed of the targets, game time, and more with our settings menu.
  • Score report - a numerical value that represents your average distance from the targets, as well as a report of how many audio cues you reacted to correctly.
  • An instrumental version of the Top Gun soundtrack
Try it for yourself!

Any feedback is appreciated, let me know what you think! Enjoy!
How do you connect the X52 joystick to this program??

Hey guys,

So, my kid brother is a programmer and he was kind enough to lend his skills in making some updates to this simulator. These include some improvements on the audio portion, as well as adding the mode to practice the emergency procedures.

These are all the changes we did that I can think of off the top of my head:

1. More consistent audio volume on the cues
2. The listening ear now switches sides like the actual test
3. The audio cues now play more in sync with each other on both ears (or attempted to, anyway)
4. Changed the color of the crosshairs to match the test
5. Added the emergency mode

I don't know if Mr. Jantzen wants to add it to his GitHub, or if he's even still active on here. So we just made a new GitHub page specifically to share the updated sim. The old link on the first page of this thread will still take you to the original game.

Here is the link for the updated version: https://astbsimulatorupdated-jantzen.github.io/ASTB-remade/

Good luck to everybody on the test.

MotorCookie

Hey guys,

So, my kid brother is a programmer and he was kind enough to lend his skills in making some updates to this simulator. These include some improvements on the audio portion, as well as adding the mode to practice the emergency procedures.

3. The audio cues now play more in sync with each other on both ears (or attempted to, anyway)

I don't know if Mr. Jantzen wants to add it to his GitHub, or if he's even still active on here. So we just made a new GitHub page specifically to share the updated sim. The old link on the first page of this thread will still take you to the original game.

Here is the link for the updated version: https://astbsimulatorupdated-jantzen.github.io/ASTB-remade/

Wow this is really great! I like how the emergency procedures work right out of the box with no need for configuration.

Would it be possible to provide a link to the GitHub repository? I'd like to fork it and play around with the code

According to this doc https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACJt4IdCkPjU2lkCQMdb8AJX_MzsS_nN/view , it looks like the fuel knob is on top and the engine knob is on the bottom. There also looks like there is a "clutch" button that resets the values. I haven't taken the ASTB yet so I don't know if this doc is accurate. Can anyone confirm if this is how it's set up on the real test?

Last edited:
Wow this is really great! I like how the emergency procedures work right out of the box with no need for configuration.

Would it be possible to provide a link to the GitHub repository? I'd like to fork it and play around with the code

According to this doc https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACJt4IdCkPjU2lkCQMdb8AJX_MzsS_nN/view , it looks like the fuel knob is on top and the engine knob is on the bottom. There also looks like there is a "clutch" button that resets the values. I haven't taken the ASTB yet so I don't know if this doc is accurate. Can anyone confirm if this is how it's set up on the real test?
I've taken it once, and could not remember which knob was which. The clutch button is the one in the center of the smaller knob. You can program it to act as the enter key in antimicro if you wish.

That's the only link my brother sent me, I'll see if I can get the repository link.

Hey guys,

Yo, the emergency setting isnt working for me. When i turn it on and hit start than its just the blank game screen with no moving targets either.

Yo, the emergency setting isnt working for me. When i turn it on and hit start than its just the blank game screen with no moving targets either.
Yes, there are some problems with it. Check out the instructions for the emergency part (button on bottom right on instructions page). It says in there that you must have the stick and throttle plugged in before starting the game on emergency mode or it won't load. If you don't have a throttle and stick, then the emergency mode will not work.

Also we fixed the knobs being mixed up and based the emergency procedures on that sheet that MotorCookie linked to. If anyone notices anything else, let me know.

MotorCookie

Yes, there are some problems with it. Check out the instructions for the emergency part (button on bottom right on instructions page). It says in there that you must have the stick and throttle plugged in before starting the game on emergency mode or it won't load. If you don't have a throttle and stick, then the emergency mode will not work.

Also we fixed the knobs being mixed up and based the emergency procedures on that sheet that MotorCookie linked to. If anyone notices anything else, let me know.
I am also experiencing this issue even with the x52 plugged in. I'm getting a "controller is undefined" error in the console but I am going through the code and trying to figure out why this is happening. I'll let you know if I solve it

I am also experiencing this issue even with the x52 plugged in. I'm getting a "controller is undefined" error in the console but I am going through the code and trying to figure out why this is happening. I'll let you know if I solve it
I have the X52 throttle and stick. The throttle has a usb cord to plug into PC and the stick plugs into the throttle. So i just plugged in another usb controller cord so it registers is as 2 controllers so the emergency mode works now. But the E and I knobs dont do anything. Im using antimicro but idk what buttons to set them to.

MotorCookie

I have the X52 throttle and stick. The throttle has a usb cord to plug into PC and the stick plugs into the throttle. So i just plugged in another usb controller cord so it registers is as 2 controllers so the emergency mode works now. But the E and I knobs dont do anything. Im using antimicro but idk what buttons to set them to.
The E and I knobs aren't supposed to be assigned to anything. They are supposed to work without having to set them up in antimicro. Plugging in two different USB controllers will get the emergency screen to show up but the problem is the simulator isn't detecting the knobs at all for some reason.

In the meantime, while Petersonjr's brother or I try to find a solution, you can use the version I forked. It is an older version of Petersonjr's before the knob switches were made. The emergency section should work in this version.
https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/

Last edited:
The E and I knobs aren't supposed to be assigned to anything. They are supposed to work without having to set them up in antimicro. Plugging in two different USB controllers will get the emergency screen to show up but the problem is the simulator isn't detecting the knobs at all for some reason.

In the meantime, while Petersonjr's brother or I try to find a solution, you can use the version I forked. It is an older version of Petersonjr's before the knob switches were made. The emergency section should work in this version.
https://jomo1-1.github.io/ASTB-remade/
So it worked for you before we switched the knobs around? Interesting.

You can fix this issue by unplugging the gamepad after you've opened the game and then plugging it back in.

Basically there's an event that triggers when the gamepad is plugged in, which sets the controller variable equal to that of the gamepad. We tried to add something that would automatically check for the gamepad being plugged in and trigger this, but it's not working right.

I guess we'll have to work on this more when we get the time. Weird.

MotorCookie

So it worked for you before we switched the knobs around? Interesting.
Yes and I have no idea why switching the controls caused an issue. I don't really see anything else your brother added or removed from the code that could've caused it.

You can fix this issue by unplugging the gamepad after you've opened the game and then plugging it back in.

Basically there's an event that triggers when the gamepad is plugged in, which sets the controller variable equal to that of the gamepad. We tried to add something that would automatically check for the gamepad being plugged in and trigger this, but it's not working right.

I guess we'll have to work on this more when we get the time. Weird.
Awesome that seems to work. It works for me when I enable the emergency setting, head back to the main menu, and do the unplugging and plugging back in.

Yes and I have no idea why switching the controls caused an issue. I don't really see anything else your brother added or removed from the code that could've caused it.

Awesome that seems to work. It works for me when I enable the emergency setting, head back to the main menu, and do the unplugging and plugging back in.
Yeah, my brother says there probably isn't a work around to this, because of the way the gamepad API works on browsers. We'll probably add this to the instructions, or add a popup or something.

MotorCookie

Yeah, my brother says there probably isn't a work around to this, because of the way the gamepad API works on browsers. We'll probably add this to the instructions, or add a popup or something.
Just tested out your sim again and it looks like it's working perfectly! Tell your brother that he is a beast!!!