• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2012 IDC Boards

NavyHusky

I don't think your age or kids have much to do with it. I'm also 37, have 4 kids, but received outstanding endorsements from all the officers I interviewed with. Speaking of which, are you in New England? Your group of officers sound like the same as mine. I was a non-select this time, but I suspect it's my lack of a graduate degree. I'm the same age as you, also a state worker, been doing IT and security for 14 years at the same employer. I met all the "all candidates who were selected had..." items except for the MS. So I'm guessing the only way I'm ever going to get in is to get that degree, or if they decide to ramp up military numbers again.

Besides, even if I met all the qualifications, they were only looking for 9 IPs. Not everyone can get it every time.

But my advice to you is to try again, and try to get better endorsements. Maybe you were just nervous or something?

-A

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
I was a select this time (IP) and I am 40 going on 41. Like Riddick I have certs out the wahzooo including CISSP. Have my clearance, am almost finished with my masters in IT/IA and have over 9 yrs Navy AD but have been out for almost 11. I think the whole person approach that they use is a big part of it. There is no doubt that the boards, interviews and OIC endorsement are a very big part. As I said in an earlier post when they told me I needed the OIC endorsement and the panel interview I got 2 OIC and Panel interviews. Always try to give them something more.
On a processing note I am already on the scrolls and have my Physical on the 4th at NASP Medical, thought I could use my last one but it is just over 90 days old. Seems like things are moving along.

NavyCyberWarrior

I don't think your age or kids have much to do with it. I'm also 37, have 4 kids, but received outstanding endorsements from all the officers I interviewed with. Speaking of which, are you in New England? Your group of officers sound like the same as mine. I was a non-select this time, but I suspect it's my lack of a graduate degree. I'm the same age as you, also a state worker, been doing IT and security for 14 years at the same employer. I met all the "all candidates who were selected had..." items except for the MS. So I'm guessing the only way I'm ever going to get in is to get that degree, or if they decide to ramp up military numbers again.

Besides, even if I met all the qualifications, they were only looking for 9 IPs. Not everyone can get it every time.

But my advice to you is to try again, and try to get better endorsements. Maybe you were just nervous or something?

-A

Thanks for the input @NavyHusky! Yes, I am in the North East region and I certainly was nervous when I interviewed. My issue with this process is the not knowing the mechanics. Having some statistics on success rates for those that reapply would obviously help at least set my expectations appropriately. Historically, do people who re-apply with additional endorsements (better) improve their chances to be select? There are too many unknowns to even begin to answer that question. When I hear statements like those of @NavyOffRec where people straight out of college without advanced degrees, leadership experience, etc are being selected for DCO on their first try... it causes me to speculate that people like us (older with families) are being passed for younger guys that do not have the same qualifications and/or experience.

NavyCyberWarrior

I was a select this time (IP) and I am 40 going on 41. Like Riddick I have certs out the wahzooo including CISSP. Have my clearance, am almost finished with my masters in IT/IA and have over 9 yrs Navy AD but have been out for almost 11. I think the whole person approach that they use is a big part of it. There is no doubt that the boards, interviews and OIC endorsement are a very big part. As I said in an earlier post when they told me I needed the OIC endorsement and the panel interview I got 2 OIC and Panel interviews. Always try to give them something more.
On a processing note I am already on the scrolls and have my Physical on the 4th at NASP Medical, thought I could use my last one but it is just over 90 days old. Seems like things are moving along.

Thanks @Mr.Innocent and congratulations! You give me hope that a non-select on your first try doesn't mean you are "black balled" for future boards.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR

Congrats Mr. Innocent! We should keep in contact just on the off chance that we will be attending DCO school together.

NavyHusky

Thanks for the input @NavyHusky! Yes, I am in the North East region and I certainly was nervous when I interviewed.

Ah, we probably met at one of the interview groups then. Were you part of the group that sat around the table waiting for the CWO in Quincy all day?

Historically, do people who re-apply with additional endorsements (better) improve their chances to be select? There are too many unknowns to even begin to answer that question.

I believe so. There's been some people in my group (our group?) who've been through this more than once, and they re-do the interviews, even if they did well the first time. It just adds another punch to the application packet. New interviews, plus tweaking your motivational statement, doing things to improve your education/certifications (if possible) are all helpful, if you can get those done in the next few months.

When I hear statements like those of @NavyOffRec where people straight out of college without advanced degrees, leadership experience, etc are being selected for DCO on their first try... it causes me to speculate that people like us (older with families) are being passed for younger guys that do not have the same qualifications and/or experience.

Yes, that's very discouraging. Especially with how well my interviews went. In addition to my IT qualifications, I'm a captain in my town's fire department. I've got management experience in IT, but also experience leading people, literally, under fire. The CWO and the panel officers spent most of their time asking me about that, and seemed really interested. One of the O4's in Newport was also a firefighter in his spare time, so we hit it off well. I thought that would help me with the "whole person" angle, but like I said, I think my lack of advanced degree sunk me.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR

-A

Husky, from what I understand having a Graduate degree isn't the "Be all, end all" however, I think it helps seperate you from other applicants. I'm very pessimistic so I had assumed that I wouldn't get selected this round. That being said I started working on a second M.Sc in Network Management and my CISSP so that when the next boards came around, I'd be done with the CISSP and have a good dent made in my M.Sc (9 months in).

Just my impression.

NavyHusky

Husky, from what I understand having a Graduate degree isn't the "Be all, end all" however, I think it helps seperate you from other applicants.

I understand it isn't the single deciding factor. But in a given group of applicants, with other qualifications being more/less equal, if there are 9 spots and 9 applicants with graduate degrees, then the spots are going to go to those applicants first. I do the same thing when I hire people. It's just a simple way to cull the group a bit more. It's just no fun being on the receiving end of it for once.

The Riddick

IP Officer, USNR
*Man Hug* So, at least you have a game plan for the next board now? Look at AMU, UOP, WGU or some type of online program. The government doesn't care as long as the school is accredited.

NavyHusky

Honestly, before I started looking at the Navy, I was looking at a degree the school I work for (UConn) offers. It's a Masters in Homeland Security Leadership. It's in partnership with the Naval Postgraduate School (so that's a plus) and offers the following:

Students in this degree program will develop competencies and knowledge relating to:
  • Homeland Security Strategy and Policy Development
  • National Security Issues in Terrorism
  • Critical Infrastructure Protection
  • Strategic Intelligence
  • Developing Technologies in Homeland Security
  • Performance Management and Leadership
  • Managing Organizational Change

And best of all, since I work here, it's free. The only downside is it's a strict two year program. You go in with 15-20 people, and as a group go through all the classes/exercises together. There's no finishing early. If I got admitted for this coming fall semester, then I would be 39 pushing 40 when I graduated. Not that the degree itself would be anything to turn my nose up at, even if I didn't get into the Navy. But it certainly would push things back a bit.

What do you guys think?

Becks

Becks
Just found out I was selected for an intel slot. Feels good!
For those who are wondering about quals;
BS Anthropology and about to finish my MBA
3 Years Army ROTC
6 Years working with the State Military Dept

Good luck to everyone else!

NavyHusky

Congrats! But you're not making us old guys feel any better. The Captain in my panel interview asked me if I'd consider doing Intel vs. IP. I said I'd do whatever the Navy wanted me to do. I think maybe I'll put myself in for more than one designator next time.

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
I did a lot of research when I started my Masters. I ended up only looking at schools that were NSA / DHS Centers of Academic Excellence http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/nat_cae/institutions.shtml
This means their IA / IS programs have been evaluated by NSA and meet certain requirements. I am doing my Masters at Nova Southeastern in Ft. Lauderdale (Online).
Try looking on the site. I am not saying it makes any degree from one of these places better, it is just another thing that makes them stand out when you are applying for something that has a high degree of competition.

das

Contributor
Thanks @Mr.Innocent and congratulations! You give me hope that a non-select on your first try doesn't mean you are "black balled" for future boards.

Hardly! Many people try 2, 3, and more times before being selected. Not only does it not black-ball you, showing persistence and significant improvement in your package is key!